Vision at its best in morning, deteriorates later on

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Vision at its best in morning, deteriorates later on

Postby rjr3790 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi guys,

I am on day 9 after having LASEK surgery and was wondering if it's common to have near sharp vision in the morning when waking up and then it deteriorates as the day goes on?

It will start out as 20/20 or 20/25ish and then at days end it will be back to 20/40 or 20/50 just like the way my eyes were 4-5 days after surgery.

Is this normal? When should i expect it to stop?

I start classes on September 4th and i can't afford to have blurry vision later on in the day because i will need to read and do homework/projects/study and whatnot.
rjr3790

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:13 pm

The symptoms you describe can be caused by dry eyes temporarily induced by LASEK, overnight edema (inflammation), or a combinatin of both. Even a surface ablation like LASEK can cause dry eye problems.

Report the problem to your doctor. You will probably be checked for dry eyes. Be sure to read our article about dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rjr3790 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks for the reply

I have been using Systane for dry eyes treatment and it's clear for a few minutes but gets blurry again. Also, when i read, my left eye is clear but my right eye is still blurry but i can see clearly with both at a distance.

My next appointment is on Thursday, August 30th so is it best to wait or should i tell my doctor now?
rjr3790

Postby jz5168 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:26 pm

rjr3790,

I'm letting you know I had lasik exactly 6 weeks ago and I've been experiencing exactly the same problem as you described, clear when I wake up from either one night sleep or a good nap, but started towards blur within an hour.

My doc said my left is drier than right one, however, both of my eyes become blur after a while after wakeup.

It's very frustrating and I'm basically now wait for the enhancement. My doc told me in my last week's checkup that my left eye was 20/50 and -1.0, right eye was 20/24 and -0.5. My experience has been not too much change for left eye but right eye has been in regression (was 20/25).

I'm considering PRK over flap for enhancement, the main reasons are one, I don't want doc to relift the flap and two, don't want doc to remove more stromal tissues.
jz5168

PRK over LASIK..better bad choice? or just playing it safe?

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:19 pm

jz5168, if I had an enhancement done I was thinking of PRK also. I had Lasik done and read some of the complications with flap lifting. While other articles say it's the same as the first time . Does your Doctor do both Lasik and PRK? And if so what did he recommend.
My doc only does Lasik that I know of, so I would have to pay all over again. The eyes are worth the money, however no one wants to spend unnecessarily. Bob
"Hindsights 20/40"
Mr.UnPerfect

Postby jz5168 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:07 am

Mr UnPerfect,

I don't know yet, my next checkup is 9/27, 4 weeks from now. I have a load of questions lined up for the doc already. I'll let you know.

One disadvantage of PRK over flap is my flap is already pretty thin (my doc only cut 90 micron flaps), the PRK would make it even thinner. This makes the flap vulnerable for potential future trauma.

So I'm still weighing the pros and cons.

Will let you know what my doc says in 4 weeks.
jz5168

Postby janahawk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:46 am

I had PRK on 6-1 and about three weeks out I too had really good vision for about 20 minutes after waking, then it would deteriorate. It did eventually get better and is consistent all day :o) I think it took nearly two months before I was able to see really well....esp. while on the computer.
janahawk

Postby goldbug » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:36 pm

I’m 2.75 months out from my LASIK procedure. I’m having the same experience with my right eye of good vision right after waking up, then declining vision quality starting a few hours later. It is getting better as time goes by. I now have crisp vision later and later each day before it starts blurring again. It may be related to a dry eye problem, since I’ve noticed that keeping eye drops in helps, along with not looking at computer monitors or tv sets.
goldbug

Reason for Encouragement

Postby DCGirl » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:54 pm

I'm having the exact same problem, with crystal clear vision when I first wake up in the morning, but deteriorating distance vision throughout the day. My eyes feel very dry too.
My surgeon explained that my eye is healing unevenly, creating a little hill of cells each day that creates the effect of astigmatism. During the night, my eyelid presses down and flattens the hill of cells, so when I first wake up I can see great. Then the "hill" is built up again each morning. He hopes it will improve over time, otherwise I may need PRK to correct it.
It's been four weeks since my LASIK surgery, and my vision is finally starting to improve a little. I will report back in if I make significant progress.
This web site is a godsend. Good luck to everyone.
- DC Girl
DCGirl

can you comment on this Glenn?

Postby jz5168 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:31 pm

This is rather interesting what your doc told you, the hill of cells that got taken care of that creates astigmatism. That means the astigmatism is tempory?

Have anybody experienced astigmatism after surgery but went away lets say after 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 months? Both of my eyes now have astigmatism (I'm now almost 2 months out), before op only my right eye had it.

Glenn, can you provide some advice? Thanks.
jz5168

Postby DCGirl » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:39 pm

I don't know if it will last, but my vision this week (week 4) is much better than it has been during the first 3 weeks after surgery. I am starting to believe my doctors, who tell me to just be patient and give it time...
DCGirl

Return to Just Had It