Does wearing glasses affect the outcome?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Does wearing glasses affect the outcome?

Postby Ol Blue Eyes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:01 pm

Dear Everyone;

I finally got glasses because my eyes had regressed so badly it was dangerous driving. The good news is that it fixed all the glow and night vision problems and while originally I was only going to wear them for driving - once I had a glimse of seeing clearly again I could'nt give it up.

My question is: is this going to affect my eventual outcome? Should I force myself to just wear them when I absolutely have to see where I'm going? My doctor said I'm 20 / 100 now.

He has also said we should do an enhancement at 3 months - I asked him if it is beneficial to wait longer to make sure the eye is done regressing and he said I can wait if I like but it does'nt change anything. He also said wearing glasses does not change anything but I would like the opinion of people who have lived it.

As well, I was told a story by an optometrist that in the 1800's they made a man wear lenses that turned everything upside down and it took 6 months but eventually the man was seeing up side up with the lenses on - his brain turned the image around. So for that reason I wonder if glasses would slow the regression or cause the eye to stop trying to improve.

Also - if I do the enhancement - should I try to stay away from computer work for a while after? I went back to work after 3 days last time and I wonder if that affects the healing.

One more thing about the healing of the flap - I asked my doctor if there is a time where I have waited too long and the flap would have to be re-cut - he said he has worked on people that had it 10 years ago and was able to just lift the flap. I have had paper cuts and there is no way even after a few weeks that with some skill you could somehow lift the cut again - it is completely gone - makes you realise that they eye does not heal as quickly as they initially claim.

Let me know

Blue
Ol Blue Eyes

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:29 pm

Wearing glasses will not affect the final outcome of Lasik or similar vision correction surgery. Contact lenses can slightly reshape the cornea, but that will resolve with a few weeks out of contacts. You can always wait longer to have enhancement surgery, but you would be able to have an enhancement when your refractive error has stabilized.

The upside-down glasses goes back to the late 1800's. It takes closer to four days than six months for vision to "stabilize", although there is still some disorientation. There are several published studies on inverted vision:

Stratton, G. (1896). Some preliminary experiments on vision without inversion of the retinal image. Psychological Review, 3, 611-617;
Stratton, G. (1897). Upright vision and the retinal image. Psychological Review, 4, 182-187.
Dolezal, H. (1982). Living in a world transformed. Chicago: Academic Press;
Kohler, I. (1964). the formation and transformation of the perceptual world. New York: International University Press.

The brain is very good at taking poor visual data and making the best of it.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It