Had PRK yesterday, a couple questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had PRK yesterday, a couple questions

Postby integra15 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:21 pm

I just had PRK yesterday on my right eye.

I wanted to make sure I could see at work so I chose one day at a time.

Anyway I am quite surprised because It has been 30 hrs and I have yet to feel any pain. Also Right now I estimate I am at 20/40

So anyway can someone help me out and let me know the answers to these questions.

Right now my only complaint is increased light sensitivity, how long does it take for that to pass?

Also how long in general does it take to stabilize? (hopefully under 20/20)

I hope you can understand I am a bit nervous now so please help me out
integra15

Postby lvziggy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:21 pm

i- I had PRK one eye at a time done in March. I didn't feel any pain until about the 3rd day since I was using the numbing eye drops. My dr. said not to use them too much tho since they slow the healing so I stopped using them after the 2nd day. That's when the pain got worse, but it was never too bad. I only took some naprosin.

I was really sensitive to the light the next day, but that got better with each day.

If you already see 20/40 you're doing pretty well. You may find your vision gets better, then gets worse, then better again. I was around 20/50 for probably 3 weeks after each eye. By the time a month rolled around I was 20/25ish. Now I'm 20/20.

Sounds like you're doing fine. It takes time with PRK, but the end results are definitely worth it!

~Alison
lvziggy

Thank you

Postby integra15 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks for your insight. I at least have one good eye to look through at this time.

How about your surgery, how long did you wait between surguries? Right now I am on the fence as to how long to wait. (2 weeks, 1 month etc...)

If I did not have a clear eye I think I would go crazy. I guess only time will help me heal.
integra15

Re: Had PRK yesterday, a couple questions

Postby cecil519 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:47 pm

I experienced really bad light sensitivity until about 3 days after the surgery. It helped that during the entire week after my surgery, the weather was somewhat cloudy, but I still felt the sensitivity and still had to wear sunglasses despite the cloudiness. However, unlike you, I had both eyes done at the same day.

It's now a bit over 3 weeks since my surgery. My eyesight was at 20/400 before surgery. It was at 20/25 at my last post-op appointment, which was 9 days ago, and I've been feeling really good since then. I haven't felt any light sensitivity, and particularly yesterday when it was a really sunny day, I came outside without sunglasses because I left them in my car and I felt fine, just like how my eyes felt before surgery.

Hang in there and keep posting your progress.
cecil519

Postby lvziggy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:05 pm

i - I had my second eye done 2 weeks after my first. At the time the 2 week mark was coming up I didn't see very well in the eye I already had done so I wanted to put it off until 3 weeks had passed, but my surgeon was out that week. Sooooo, it was either wait until 4 weeks or go for it at 2 weeks. I decided I didn't want to wait any longer, just wanted to get it all behind me, so I went for the 2nd eye 2 weeks after my first. I ended up being able to function just fine.

You really need to see how your first eye is doing before you decide when to have the 2nd eye done.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:32 am

Light sensitivity after PRK varies greatly from person to person. Most do not report any light sensitivity problems at all. It is difficult to predict, but it seems reasonable that the photophobia will resolve with the healing of the epithelium, about 1-3 weeks.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

1 week update

Postby integra15 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments:)

I am now 1 week post op. All the fogginess is gone, light sensitivity is decreasing IMO. I have some starbursting in low light, but that is to be expected for awhile until the surface heals up more and it dissipates (I hope )

I have had no pain or dryness issues, so I guess I am doing OK, I would estimate my vision at 20/30 at this point. More updates to come later.
integra15

Return to Just Had It