Couple of questions about my PRK

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Couple of questions about my PRK

Postby arya6000 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi everyone

I had PRK about 11 days a go I have 20/20 vision on my right eye and 20/60 on the left. I was never given steroid drops. and I was only on zymar for three days and contacts were also taken out after 3 days.

Is it normal not to be on steroids after PRK?
My left eye's vision keeps getting better and worst Is this normal?
Will I ever get 20/20 on my left eye?
arya6000

Yes

Postby integra15 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:50 pm

please call your doctor and discuss it with him ASAP. I have read many PRK post op assessments and they all included steroid treatments for several weeks
integra15

Postby arya6000 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:52 pm

I'm also wondering why there is no steroids, I called them and they said we never give steroid drops to PRK patients. The laser used on me was Zyoptix.

1 more question

At the clinic they gave me "Refresh Tears" for dry eyes, Can I use "Systane" instead?
arya6000

I think so...

Postby integra15 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:39 pm

I just had my first PRK 3 days ago

I don't know if I am spelling these right but

I am on Pred Forte every 4 hours while awake (steroid)
Zymar every 4 hours while awake (antibiotic)

Systane perservitive free eye drops. (I don't think it matters what brand is used)

I go back on Monday to remove my bandage contact and I will ask my doc about the drops. But as far as I know the steroids are to stabilize the healing process of the eye and are quite important.
integra15

Re: Couple of questions about my PRK

Postby cecil519 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:40 pm

I had PRK a little over 3 weeks ago. I have been on FML steroid drops since I had the procedure. During the first week, I was on FML for four times a day, in addition to Vigamox drops (antibiotic) and Acular drops (not sure what this is for). After 4 days, when my bandage contact lenses were removed, the doctor said to stop using Vigamox and Acular but keep using steroid drops, which was FML for me. I continued using FML for 4 times a day for the rest of the week, then the following week I was down to 3 times a day, then the following week down to 2 times a day. Yesterday, I started using the FML drops for just once a day. Next week I'm going to stop using them, but throughout this whole time I should be using artificial tears at least four times a day or more often if necessary.

My healing process is going remarkably well. At my last appointment, I was at 20/25. I feel occasional dry eyes, but other than that, I feel great. I don't have difficulty driving at night, and I only occasionally see halos, but not bad enough that it affects my daily activities.

I hope you get the answers you're looking for :D
cecil519

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:29 am

Steroids drops are commonly used after PRK and Lasik to control healing and reduce inflammation. I don't know that I have ever heard of a surgeon who routinely did not prescribe steroid drops after PRK. Ask your doctor if s/he has ever published a study regarding PRK without the use of steroids.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby smoothepithelium » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:51 am

I also had the same concern. I am in Canada... we have an expanding franchise here of "discount" Lasik clinics. Won't mention the name. You see the Dr. only at the time of surgery and everything else is done by technicians. Thank god I got an assesment and researched somewhere else beforehand so I could make educated decisions. I have massive pupils (> 8.5mm.) Here are some of the crazy things I experienced there:

a) Advised that I could have standard or wavefront enhanced treatment with a moderate recommendation for the later..... uhhhh good thing I know that with my pupils I should only even consider wavefront!

b) "Why are you choosing PRK... you know you will be in pain for 4 days right?"... "Yes I prefer to go with PRK because my research indicates that with my pupil size this might be a better option with less risk of starbursts etc. etc. and slightly larger treatment area".... "No that's not true."

c) 5 mins before surgery and without ever having spoken with a Dr. I was asked to sign a form saying that I had discussed the fact that due to larger than normal pupil size I am at higher risk...

d) No explanation of what to expect or how the healing process works.

ANYWAY enough ranting. I had the PRK 2 weeks ago; vision for the last week has been 20/20 and 20/25. Dry eyes improving but brutal in the morning causing eyes feel scratched for 1/2 the day. More light sensitivity today than any other day and halos more noticeable at nightime (still able to drive though.)

Ooops I keep going on... my main reason for posting was to mention that I also was not prescribed steroids. I asked the technician why I wasn't and unfortunately I can't recall the explanation other than I felt satisfied after it. I believe the explanation included a claim that I have no visible scarring currently and that they do not prescribe these until later on if needed to deal with regression.

Best regards!
smoothepithelium

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:21 pm

You may want to discuss with your doctor if using a nighttime lubricating gel would be appropriate.

No steroids with PRK is one of those issues I'll be discussing with surgeons at the next medical conference.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby smoothepithelium » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:22 am

Thanks for this site by the way Glenn.

I am on day 15 and yesterday and today my vision has not been as good as it was the days before. I think regression is generally something which can occur later on? My next appt isn't for 2 more weeks... not sure if I should be worried or just go with it and accept this as normal fluctuation.
smoothepithelium

Postby cecil519 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:04 pm

Now that Glenn mentioned the nighttime gel, I was prescribed that by the doctor. At my last appointment (2 weeks after the surgery), when the doctor mentioned that I will slowly use the steroid drops less and less until I no longer have to use them (which started yesterday), he did prescribe that I apply Refresh PM ointment in the red meaty part underneath my eyes right before bedtime. This really helps with the lubrication all throughout the night, so that when I wake up the next morning, I don't feel my eyes are dry or scratchy at all. I do notice that for the 1 or 2 nights that I forgot to use them, my eyes felt raw the next morning, like my eyelids were stuck to my eyes. Definitely ask the doctor about the ointment :D
cecil519

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:04 pm

smoothepithelium wrote:Thanks for this site by the way Glenn.

Thanks for the kind words, but all our funding comes from certification fees charged to Lasik doctors who we have evaluated and certified. They are the ones who deserve the most thanks.

smoothepithelium wrote:I think regression is generally something which can occur later on?

Steroids drops help control the healing process, including regression. Over time the healing process is less aggressive and the steroids are tapered off. This is when fluctuations are likely to occur. After you no longer use the steroids you may find another fluctuation that settles down to provide your final outcome.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It