Pupils and ablation zones

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Pupils and ablation zones

Postby komobu » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:06 pm

I had PRK 6 days ago on my right eye and recently got some starburst (I know it is early but I am worried about long term also) patterns at night. I believe the doctor treated a 6mm ablation zone and transitioned out to 8mm. My pupil size (by pupilometer) in "darkness" is 6.5mm in that eye. I had a custom procedure done with wavescan.

Was this done correctly? Someone please let me know, I am calling him later but want to hear something from others.
komobu

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:13 pm

It is waaaaay too early to be concerned about starbursting after PRK. Your vision would not be fully sharp yet and this can contribute to the symptom you describe. Starbursting tends to be caused by an irregular surface. Halos tend to be caused by ablation/pupil size issues. Give your epithelium a few weeks to thicken and smooth. Also, any dry eye issues can contribute to starbursting.

A pupilometer takes measurements in total darkness and therefore the pupils normally measure about 1.0mm larger than they naturally dilate in a low-light environment where you would expect to be able to see. Your pupils are probably closer to 6.0mm or 5.5mm.

Custom wavefront-guided laser ablation is limited to 6.5mm or smaller. This would appear to have accommodated the size of your pupils.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby komobu » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Thanks, I know I may be jumping the gun. But I am a little worried that my full treated zone was smaller than my natural dilated pupil.
komobu

Return to Just Had It