just had lasik... not quite satisfied

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

just had lasik... not quite satisfied

Postby zhuki » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi all , first i want to say that im glad to be here in these forums and meet you all.
Well wearing glasses from the age of 6 , having enought of them , and having very high myopia were the reasons that made me want to get lasik correction. I heard that at the age of 18 its ok to do this so i finaly decided and went to the clinic. My dioptry was -6.75 in my left eye and my right eye was -8.25 and a - 1.75 astigmatism so around -10 .
I had my operation 17 days ago and hoped everything would go fine. The operation went fine , right after i got out of the clinic i could actually notice my vision was clear (without glasses all i could see was blurr). when i left the clinic i was told to wear eye drops (artificial tears and some antibacterial tears aswell). so there i go home, everything fine except during that night my right eye started hurting and shed tears all through the most of the night ( couldnt actually get sleep , and beeing stupid i thought that hurting was actually a normal thing so i tolerated it that night). my eye hurt most of the night and the next day when i wake up i was shocked. my vision was all blurry on my right eye. went to the clinic for to check and the doctor said it was sahara syndrome (i read about that on this site DLK). when he asked me to read the chart i was surprised when my vision was 20/30 and yet it was so blurry. The doctor put me on steroid drops and anti bacterial drops and tears every 30 mins that day and also oral steroids. the next day i go in and check for my vision , it was even worse 20/70 is all i could see, i continued with the steroid drops and oral ones for the next 3 days, then the doctor said he might need to lift up the flap and clean the area so that what i did (and i must say ouch! this is actually harder than the OP itself =/ ). still continued with the steroids and tears and anti bacteria. I thought that after the flap cleanup everything would be fine , but the next few days i went 2 to 3 times a day for checks and the doctor kept saying everything is going well and that the "cloud" was breaking up but yet my vision isnt clear, i could barely see 20/50 ... i was told to continue with the steroids every hour and continue with the oral steroids aswell twice a day. i continued this for a week then when i went for a checkup again , the doc told me that everything is going fine so he lowered my therapy a bit and told me to check up next week. well there i am next week again, and again he says that the infamation was going away and he could now see more clearer through my eye... my vision still 20/50 and he now put me on steroid drops every 2 hours in my right eye and lowered my oral steroid therapy so im keeping up with this at the moment. Its been 17 days now from my op and im still seeing blurry with my right eye , my left eye is perfect tho except for the halos in dark places but i read thats normal first. My vision in my right is still very blurry and i dont know if its getting better , i still think its quite the same =[ .
i was wondering how long does it usually take for DLK to clear up ... the doc said it may take months? and is it normal that things near or far are blurry? (well i guess so)
also what are the usual symptoms of DLK , i want to make sure i dont have anything else...
thanks in advance.
zhuki

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:13 pm

You have provided an excellent cautionary tale for others who have Lasik. If you have pain or other problems, let your doctor know. Even if you think it is normal, let the doctor decide.

Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK, aka Sands of Sahara) is a known complication of Lasik and All-Laser Lasik. Sterile infiltrates get under the Lasik flap and even though they are sterile the cornea attacks them. That process will cause inflammation and sudden loss of vision quality. Pain is not always associated with DLK.

DLK is a serious problem that, fortunately, can normally be successfully treated with an aggressive regimen of steroids. In stubborn cases a flap lift with removal of the infiltrates is necessary. The key to a successful resolution is early diagnosis and treatment. It sounds like your doctor has responded exactly as required.

DLK is an inflammatory response. Your cornea is swollen. To reduce your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision, the laser made your corneas thinner in the middle. DLK has made them swollen and thick again. This will induce myopia and provide you poor distance vision. You may find that near vision returns before your distance vision.

Even after the haze has dissipated the cornea can be affected by DLK related inflammation. It can take a long time for the effects of DLK to resolve. It is also reasonable to expect the inflammation to resolve irregularly; that is one part of the cornea is okay with another part swollen. This can present as irregular and poor vision quality, ghosting, and halos around light sources until the inflammation has fully resolved.

You are going through a healing process that is going to take time. It can take many months, and your doctor who has actually examined you knows much better than I, but it is reasonable to expect your vision to realize the full potential of the Lasik surgery within 4-12 weeks. During that time your doctor will be monitoring your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby zhuki » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:52 pm

first i wanna say thanks for your reply Lasik Expert.
Well its been exactly 7 weeks today and i can see a little difference , but still prints and small letters on the pc screen are a bit hard to read (with my right eye that had dlk), so i cant say my near vision is better than far vision or anything...
I also asked the doctor at what stage my dlk was , he said it was practically stage 4 but he assured me that im gonna get my vision 100% back , so i hope for that aswell, altho im a bit scared!
also, when i keep my eyes closed for some more time or for example i wake up during the night , things are more clearer but they get a bit worse when theres more light and stuff but not as bad as it used to.
Ill have my next chack on monday, i will keep you informed when i get better =].
zhuki

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Stage 4 DLK is when the cornea is attacking the sterile infiltrates so agressively that the Lasik flap actually melts. This would cause an irregular corneal surface. It is fortunate that you did not get to Stage 4. This also indicates why your surgeon felt a flap lift and cleaning was appropriate.

In bright light the pupils constrict and only light passing through the very center of your cornea reaches the retina and is "seen". If your DLK was centered (and it often is), then it is likely that the remnants of the DLK have a greater effect as a percentage of disrupted light when your pupils are constricted. When the pupils get larger, light is able to pass around the DLK haze, reach the retina, and be seen. Vision quality would still be negatively affected, but the percentage of disrupted light would be less.

DLK can be a long process to fully resolve, but so long as the progression is stopped before any permanent damage occurs, it is highly likely your corneas will become clear again.

Keep us informed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby zhuki » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:56 pm

thanks for your very helpful reply mate.
I will keep you informed about my progres/
Thanks again , this forum is really helpful =).
zhuki

Return to Just Had It