Just had Lasik on 9-28-07 +4.25. UPDATE 10-13-07 BAD NEWS

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had Lasik on 9-28-07 +4.25. UPDATE 10-13-07 BAD NEWS

Postby Mikewas+4 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:10 am

First off, to anyone who is considering LASIK correction you will find a load of information here.
I read everything I could and went to 3 doctors consultations before deciding to have lasik and I encourage anyone considering lasik to do the same. You need to be educated on ALL the risk involved, technology available and mostly the doctors experience and qualifications.
It seems the majority of topics on this forum are of negative experiences which in close reading appear to be people who haven't given thier eyes enough time to heal.
I just had my eyes corrected 3 days ago. I was farsighted +4.25 in both eyes with a slight astigmatism with stromal thickness just over 500 I think ( don't know the exact numbers ). Ive been wearing contacts for the past 14 years and being in the water as much as I am I was finaly fed up with wearing contacts and decided to go for it.

The procedure was just a little uncomfortable but not painfull at all. My procedure was done with the Wavefront VISXstar4 with intralase. I watched the patient before me have his done which I would recommend so you'll know what to expect. He didn't have the intralase, and after seeing that (microkeratome) I'm glad I did.

My procedure also took a long time compared to the guy who went before me when I asked the doctor why, he said my eyes needed 16 times the amount of correction as the previous patient. It seemed like it took about 5 minutes per eye.

Afterwards I was taken to the room where they did the initial testing so the doctor could look at my eyes (flaps) to make sure they were in the right place. He told me that everything went exceptional then briefly explained to me that there would be some regression during the healing. I had no idea what he was talking about until I later, when I noticed that I could see amazingly clear out to about 3 feet. Past that things got progressivley unfocused. I could see objects just not the detail and the edges where not sharp

Thats when I read Post Hyperopic LASIK in an earlier topic in this forum. I'm hoping that my doctor overcorrected my farsidedness so the regression will put my vision somewhere close to ???? good not plus or minus.
It appears that the doctor made an educated guess on how much to overcorrect my eyes based on my +4.25 with reggresion. Hope he's right!

My next check-up is 10-13 I will update after that

Update: 10-13-07
Just got back from my check-up and I was given some good news and some not so good news.
Good news, I'm seeing better to the point where I don't need corrective lenses. Right eye is right on.
Not so good news; The left eye developed a worse astigmatism and is at +1. The doctor said that astigmatism is 90 degrees opposite from the original astigmatism causing double vision in the right eye. He said that is very rare.
He wants me to come back on on 11-6 for another evaluation and we discussed further enhancment. He said he wants to see where things settle after 3 months and perform the enhancment after then. That's the bad news but hey, at least I can see better.
I'll update after next visit.
Last edited by Mikewas+4 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikewas+4

Postby croanster » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:03 pm

Good luck to you! Keep posting your results to let us know how your going.

It took around 3 weeks for me to have anything like decent usable vision at a distance coming from +3.25 and +4.75 and really wasn't 'good' until nearly 2 months so hang in there.

I think its a bit more hit and miss with hyperopic correction than myopic correction. I've got my 3 month follow up day after next - will post the results under Hyperopic wavefront correction was overcorrected http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert/viewtopic.php?t=1189

All the best!
croanster

Re: Just had Lasik on 9-28-07 +4.25

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:47 pm

Mikewas+4 wrote:I'm hoping that my doctor overcorrected my farsidedness so the regression will put my vision somewhere close to ???? good not plus or minus.

You description of your current vision indicates that this is exactly what your doctor did. Regression after correcting that much hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision is highly probable. It sounds like you were overcorrected about 1.00 to 1.50 diopters myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted). This seems like a reasonable amount of overcorrection.

You can expect some eye strain during the first several weeks. Hyperopes tend to "focus around" the hyperopia. Your eyes don't need to do this anymore and have a new range for focusing. This can cause headaches and even nausea. Hopefully you will not be affected.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mikewas+4 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:17 pm

Another question; Will he have to "laser" the flap again, or can the original flap still be used?
Mikewas+4

flap lifting

Postby Mack » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:17 am

Mike,
For most all enhancements, the flap is "popped" loose and lifted back. Flap lifts are easily done within 6 months and then get progressively harder to lift but very experienced docs can usually lift them after even several years out. If the doc cannot lift the flap, it's usually (according to docs who do lots of enhancements) because of lack of proper technique needed to break the suction retention. Sometimes unsuccessful flap lifts can induce trauma, infection, epi-ingrowth, etc. It is generally NOT advisable to let them cut a new flap, although there are success stories with those who have done it, but why invite even more longterm risk of instability and problems down the road? You will find on many other lasik websites that the flap never really "heals" as do other human cuts or wounds that are able to form stitched-in bonds of scar tissue. The interface at the flap heals by formation of "collagen glue" that is also made stronger by natural suction to retain the flap in place.
Mack

Postby Mikewas+4 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Thanks Mack
Mikewas+4

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:05 am

We have a detailed article on on Lasik flap healing that you may find helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mack » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:57 am

Bryce Carlson (Lone Wolf) research:

"This collagen includes fibril infiltrates that extend from the flap into the stromal bed, in effect suturing the flap to the underlying stromal bed. At the conclusion of this process the flap is both "glued" and "stitched" into place..."

Cadaver corneal tissue studies of post lasik eyes beyond 2 years that I've found in Google searches have not produced evidence of any "stitching by fibrils into the stromal bed". Various experts feel that is mere wishful thinking. If it were true, flaps would not be liftable beyond 2 years. There is now evidence of many flaps being lifted for enhancements well beyond 2 years post lasik.
Mack

Return to Just Had It