Monovision, great right, bad left!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Monovision, great right, bad left!

Postby MonoVisionExperiment » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi, I would like to thank everybody for sharing their experiences. I have read so many posts I can't believe it! I spend way too much time reading about LASIK since my LASIK. I have had a different experience from all of the others that I have read and I also have a few questions that maybe can be answered by you Glenn.

I had my LASIK 9/27/2007. I had my right eye corrected for distance using Custom Wavefront and my left eye (not Custom Wavefront) undercorrected for better distance but I was still supposed to be able to use it for reading, computer use, etc. I was told that I might still need reading glasses.

My Surgery -
Mine seems to be about like all of the others that I have read, things went great according to the surgeon and the technicians.

Right Eye -
Well, from day 1 on, my right eye was just fantastic! I can see to drive, day or night, actually my night vision is now better than it ever was, even with glasses! On the 1 day check up it tested 20/20 with crisp clear vision at a distance and the expected inability to see up close. I have not had any pain in this eye at all.

Left Eye -
I noticed that when I tried to read printed material all of the letters have sort of a twin. Its sort of like double vision but the 2 are so close together I guess this might be what some of you refer to as ghosting? I went to work on day 5 and I can't focus on my computer screen! I make my living using the computer all day everyday! Of course I did the 'LASIK salute' covering each eye thing on everything I look at. Also, my left eye hurt all the time. At about day 6 I went back to the doctor about the pain and the fact that I can't see. My eye tested at 20/40 for distance (They didn't even check for up close, that doesn't make sense to me). They told me that I needed to continue using the Econopred drops for another 3 weeks, starting at every 2 hours and gave me a schedule to wean myself off of them at the 3 week mark. Well that helped the pain but they didn't seem at all concerned about the fact that I can't see to work. At about day 11 I found that if I took an old pair of reading glasses that I had from when I tried contacts a while back that if I poked out the left lens I can see the computer screen pretty good using my distance eye and I sort of ignore my left (up close) eye and this worked surprisingly well. I called the doctor again and told them that I can't see to work and that I want them to look at my eye again. This time I saw a different doctor and she told me that I have rippling right on the edge of the flap in a small spot. She told me to continue the Econopred drops every 3 hours for a while and to use the antibiotic drops twice a day. She told me that this unsmooth spot is what is causing the pain. She said that the drops might fix it and that as a last resort the surgeon might have to lift the flap. Oh, man, I really don't want to do that!!! It has hurt so much I really don't want to do that!! She also tried to make a prescription for me for reading glasses while warning me that my vision would change and that I also still had an astigmatism in the left eye. Well I got the glasses and they are terrible! They are really thick and I can see good with the distance eye but I can't see with the left eye at all unless my face is about 8 inches from the computer screen, I just switched back to my old poked out reading glasses that look so stupid, but at least I can see to work.

Overall, I love not having to have glasses to drive and to watch TV it seems like this surgery was a miracle. If only I didn't have to work I would be great!

My question is, by using reading glasses and using my right eye for everything now (I'm about ready to just poke the left one out at this point)
will I be able to discontinue using reading glasses and adjust to Monovision if my left eye ever clears up?

Also, has anybody else had rippling right on the edge of the flap? What are the odds that it will heal up smoothly?

Sorry this is such a long post but thanks for listening to those of you who still are!

Beth
MonoVisionExperiment

Update

Postby MonoVisionExperiment » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:56 pm

I went to the doctor on Saturday morning and he deadened my left eye and smoothed out the edge of the flap with a little foam q-tip. He told me that if it continued to hurt than we would have to go back to the surgeon and have him work on it. Well, it really hurt when the deadening drops wore off on Saturday afternoon and it hurt all Saturday evening. But, Sunday morning I suddenly have no pain in my left eye!!! I now have to continue to wean myself slowly off of the Econopred (steriod) drops. The doctor said that the problem was cells that belong on the cornea outer layer were trying to grow under the edge of the flap in a little tiny spot. This area was agravated every time I blinked. He said my eyeball had healed just a little too quickly.

I am hoping that I my vision in the left eye will continue to get better and/or that I will get used to the monovision. Until then I will continue to use the reading glasses with 1 lens.

I forgot to mention that before Lasik I was about -4.0 in both eyes with astigmatism in both eyes also. I don't have the exact prescription.

Good luck to all of you who's posts I have read. It has been so helpful to know that I am not the only one who didn't have immediate perfect results. It is also very encouraging to read the posts of those who have seen lots of improvement. This is a great website! I have really learned alot here.

Beth
MonoVisionExperiment

Re: Monovision, great right, bad left!

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:18 am

MonoVisionExperiment wrote:My question is, by using reading glasses and using my right eye for everything now (I'm about ready to just poke the left one out at this point)
will I be able to discontinue using reading glasses and adjust to Monovision if my left eye ever clears up?

So long as you are using your Lasik corrected distance vision and reading glasses corrected near vision you will not likely adjust to monovision to the full extent, but you are using your undercorrected eye when you watch TV and drive. You are getting some monovision effect, just not fully.

MonoVisionExperiment wrote:Also, has anybody else had rippling right on the edge of the flap? What are the odds that it will heal up smoothly?

The rippling is called striae. There are two kinds of Lasik flap related striae; macrostriae and microstriae. Each respond differently and need a different response. We have a detailed article about Lasik striae that will probably be helpful.

Your doctor's disgnosis was epithelial ingrowth. Epi-ingrowth is exactly as you described. Smoothing the flap may resolve the issue, but your doctor will monitor you and if the epithelial cells return and/or grow, the surgeon will probably want to lift the flap and remove the cells. A flap lift is usually not a very traumatic, but you will want to discuss all these issues with your surgeon if this treatment is recommended.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby MonoVisionExperiment » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:55 pm

Thank you, Glenn for your reply. I have another question for you. How will the doctor determine if the epithelial cells return and/or grow?

Beth
MonoVisionExperiment

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:12 am

Observation. Epithelial ingrowth does not cause damage until after a relatively long time. Days, weeks, even months. Your doctor can check your eyes rather easily for epithelial ingrowth just by looking.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It