Will the ghosting really go away??

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Will the ghosting really go away??

Postby Sheri » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:36 am

I originally had lasik 9 years ago, but my vision slowly worsened. I decided to have a retreatment. I have had 3 surgeries so far. The retreatment Lasik, then one month after, I had to have epithelial ingrowth removed. I had the same ingrowth removed one month after that. It has now been about 8 weeks since the last surgury. I have been using Restasis now for about 3 weeks for dry eyes and have punctal plugs also. I have severe ghosting in both eyes that is occuring no matter what the lighting conditions are. I can't even see this computer screen very well, and my TV is blurry. I dont drive because road signs are so blurry. I am so afraid that it won't away. My question is, can the doctor tell what is causing the ghosting? I saw several posts on here about the various causes, but how is the cause diagnosed? The ghosting goes away sometimes for a few seconds after I put drops in, and when I squint. Also, they had me look through pinholes at the docs office, and that made it go away also. My next appointment isnt for a few more weeks. What should I ask to help reassure me? The last time I asked if it would go away, he said "probably, but I cant promise." Does that mean he doesnt know the cause? If it's just edema, it should resolve, right?. I'm confused.

Also for the first several days after the surgery, I had bandage contacts in, and my vision was perfect! Then a couple of days after they took them out, the ghosting started. It seems like if it was astigmatism, I wouldnt have had good vision right away, right? The contacts had no prescription or anything....help, I am so stressed thinking I made a mistake having this done.
Sheri

Re: Will the ghosting really go away??

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:06 am

Sheri wrote:The ghosting goes away sometimes for a few seconds after I put drops in...

That is probably the key. The ghosting is caused by astigmatism which is caused or exacerbated by dry eye. It is also possible that you have a bit of corneal edema (swelling) from the surgery and the flap lift. This would all be consistent with your symptoms.

Sheri wrote:The last time I asked if it would go away, he said "probably, but I cant promise." Does that mean he doesnt know the cause?

Not necessarily. He may have identified the cause, but is not certain if treatment or management will resolve the problem completely.

Sheri wrote:If it's just edema, it should resolve, right?.

Whatever portion of the problem is due to edema will resolve when the edema resolves. You could have at least three problems: astigmatism, edema, dry eyes. It would be impossible to know how much of which is the cause.

Sheri wrote:Also for the first several days after the surgery, I had bandage contacts in, and my vision was perfect! Then a couple of days after they took them out, the ghosting started.

This can be a very good sign. It often means that except for an irregular shape (astigmatism), your corneas are in good condition. What you saw with the bandage contact lens is what is possible with full healing.

Sheri wrote:It seems like if it was astigmatism, I wouldnt have had good vision right away, right?

Either the contact helped make the cornea more uniform in shape, or the edema did not occur until the contact was removed. It is also possible that due to the dry eye your epithelial layer is uneven. This too can cause the vision you describe, but the ghosting would likely move its position over a period of days.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Sheri » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:43 am

Thanks so much for the reply! I will definately ask the doctor more questions when I go. Interestingly enough- a few days after I posted that and read your response, the ghosting shifted somewhat. I had some bad news this week, and was crying one evening. The next morning, you know how irritated your eyes are after that, but the weird thing was, the ghosting was completely gone that morning. It lasted for most of the day, and then gradually it come mostly back, but instead of showing the ghost image ABOVE what I see, it is now below. Based on what you said before, does it sound like it could just be some edema and dry eyes causing it? I am encouraged that it went away for a while, is it possible that might be what things will eventually look like? That would be great!
Sheri

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:24 am

Shifting ghosts (it is nearly Halloween!) are a hallmark of corneal edema that is resolving. Your tears undoubtedly hydrated your eyes very well, but now they are back to "normal". This is good news and it is reasonable to expect full resolution, but only time will tell.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It