Did I get monovision correction?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Did I get monovision correction?

Postby MASK » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:30 pm

Just had Epi Lasik, and my vision in right eye is 20/15. I got the surgery on Friday and he told me he was going to "undercorrect" a little in my left eye because it was so nearsighted. Also said that he wouldnt feel comfortable in doing any enchanments on left eye because there wasnt much to work with or something

Well, right now my left eye is blurry (sometimes it seems to work great, but today its not that good) He said best case I could expect 20/30 out of left eye. I saw some post on monovision, and my question is does this sound like what the Dr. did? He said it would help me when im 40, but right now I am aggravted. Dont know if I should just wait and see if it gets better or what, but it sounds like I dont have many options.
MASK

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:03 pm

Yes, it sounds like what was provided was monovision correction. Monovision is normally provided for people past the age of 40 who are having difficulty focusing on near objects. Apparently in your case one eye was undercorrected because the amount of tissue necessary to provide full correction was so great it could cause your cornea to become unstable.

Epi-Lasik has a much longer healing process than Lasik. It is reasonable to expect fluctuation in vision quality. Your eyes likely won't settle down completely and provide the best possible vision for 6-10 weeks.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby MASK » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks Glenn. I guess then that it was my only option with the lack of tissue? Im kind of annoyed at the blurriness of it, but hopefully it will get better. I go into my 3 day check up today and will ask more questions. I just turned 30 though and would rather have just had normal vision and then glasses for reading.
MASK

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:46 pm

If your blurry vision is only at distance, then it is likely this is due to the undercorrection. You are still slightly myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted). If the blurry vision is at all distances, it is probably due to the healing process.

Your surgeon will be able to measure the thickness of the cornea after your vision has stabilized to determine if enhancement surgery is prudent.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby MASK » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Thanks for the info. He says that he slightly undercorreted me, but the he didnt do monovision. My vision is 20/30 and 20/20 as of right now, but still varies alot. Very happy so far though!
MASK

Return to Just Had It