Just had Epi-Lasik.....question

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had Epi-Lasik.....question

Postby MASK » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:08 pm

I had Epilasik done 13 days ago, and overall I am pleased by the results. Right out of surgery my right (lead) eye was 20/15 and my left eye was ok too.

Now my left eye has gotten alot better, but I woke up 3 days ago at about 6 am with my right eye really hurting me and watering. The pain went away and I went back to sleep, but now my right eye vision is about 20/30 and it is really annoying. My night vision also went downhill.

I asked my eye doctor about it, and she said most likely my eye was so dry that when I opened it, I ripped off part of my epilthieum (sp?) and thats what happened. My vision has gotten better over the past couple of days, but is still not nearly as good. Does anyone know if this will improve over time, or if there could be another explanation? Thank you so much
MASK

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:28 pm

Lasik is more likely to cause temporary dry eyes, however surface ablation techniques like PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik also can cause dry eye problems. It is possible that during the night your eyes became dry enough that the epithelium (soft outer layer of the cornea) stuck to the underside of your eye lid.

Epi-Lasik and LASEK are unique in that they attempt to use the epithelium as a "bandage". In Epi-Lasik, a blunt blade lifts the epithelium as a sheet. This epithelial flap is set aside, the laser energy is applied to the underlying cornea, and the epithelial flap is repositioned over the treatment area.

All epithelial cells in the epithelial flap are mortally sounded. The epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, but you are going through the process of dead cells being sloughed off and replaced by new cells, and the process of thickening and smoothing of the epithelial cells. Since many of the epithelial cells are actually dead, it is probably more likely that they would attach to the underside of your eye lid if it is dry.

Check with your doctor if it is okay to use a gel lubricant overnight. Artificial tears are great, but the gel will last a long time and may resolve the current problem. You probably also want to read our article that includes information about Epi-Lasik Dry Eye Treatment.

The epithelium will eventually be completely replaced and the dry eye will undoubtedly resolve with healing. Keep your doctor informed of changes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby MASK » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:18 am

Thanks Glenn. I will take your advice. My eyes usually arent that dry, its just when I wake up in the morning, so I will probably try that ointment.

DO you think that explanation would explain the vision downgrade all of the sudden? Its even a little bit better today
MASK

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:26 pm

Dragging away epithelial cells with a dry eye lid will almost always result in vision degradation. The dry eye itself can reduce vision quality. Also, Epi-Lasik has a bit of a roller-coaster recovery with vision quality fluctuations for the first few weeks. Be patient and inform your doctor of any problems.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby MASK » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:35 am

Ok, thank you. I guess my right eye is a little better today, but say that it was my dry eye that damaged the cells, does that mean that once it heals again my good vision will return? I mean assuming thats what caused the vision degradation?
MASK

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:43 am

The epithelium and the tear film combine to produce the smoothest possible surface. Once these are both healthy it is very likely you will return to that crisp vision you expect.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby MASK » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:38 am

Thanks Glenn. Just as an update, my vision has been restored. I am a month out and my vision is 20/25 in left eye and 20/15 right eye. Its great! Praise God. Some glare at night, but its gettting better slowly
MASK

Postby allyklima » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:14 am

Hello all,
I had my Epi lasik surgery 3 weeks ago. I had -6 and -7 with astigmatismus -0.25 both eyes. When I went for first check up they didn't tell me the numbers, just said that right one is slower to recover. Left eye I can see very nicely, but right one still not clearly. I went to see my regular doctor and after check up my righ eye is +1.5 and astigmatismus -3.5... is this normal???
Thank you all, I'm kind of worried...
allyklima

Return to Just Had It