Just had PRK 11/15/07 ....

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had PRK 11/15/07 ....

Postby houstonman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:34 pm

Well just a little bit about my self im from Houston, im 23 and have not been able to see without glasses for 15 years. I was approved to go with advanced lasik or PRK and I chose to go with PRK. There are just so many more advantages that more people should really look into.
I got to the docs office at 11:30 and didnt have the surgery done till 3:30 which was a ridiculous wait but whatever. I went in and they flooded my eyes with solution and gave me a valium. I laid there and they began on my right eye and it was done in about 10 minutes. then they moved on to left eye and it was done about the same time. The clamps were the only part that was uncomfortable but it definitely didnt hurt. The lazer part was a bit different than I had expected... they say its orange however it was red to me. What I thought was crazy was my left eye wasnt covered so that eye watched smoke rise from my right eye lol. I could smell the burn but whatever, it wasnt bad. Anywho I got up and there was no clock or surprise messages in the room .... I just had to see things for my self in the waiting room. I could easily see words and objects across the room. it was all very hazy like i was in a dream for about a good 30 minutes. After my eyes just burned. Sunlight was a HUGE factor because I couldnt see well and had my eyes closed for the most part on the drive home.

Today 11/16

Well today I woke up and could easily see the alarm clock. However I had to keep lights off cause my eyes were burning... im sure the burning had to do more with the eyes healing. I stopped taking the nevenak and continued with the omnie and vigomox drops which I have to use 4 times a day. I can seee everything HOWEVER it is all out of focus. I had someone drive me for the exam today and to my surprise I am already 20/20. Like I said .... I can see words and billboards, license plates however everything else is not in focus. even typing this is still a bit out of focus. Im going to rest my eyes and just ride it out till I guess monday when the contacts are removed.

oh and as for the itchy/scratchy feeling people talk about the day after PRK, Im not experiencing any of that. As of right now they just feel a bit of a burn sensation like when u have contacts in for too long.

Please feel free to ask any questions needed.

(When should things come into focus for me? anyone know?)
houstonman

Postby MamaBean » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:09 pm

Don't be surprised if your vision regresses after the contacts are removed. I had blurriness as well, which is what I'm guessing you mean by "out of focus." I also had some ghost images. There can be a lot of fluctuation in the first few weeks. I was told to expect my vision to get worse at around the 4th day or so, before it slowly gets better. This is due to the way the epithelium heals from the outward in towards the center. The ghosting gets better as the epithelium slowly smooths out.

My eyes healed at different rates, and this too, is not uncommon. I'd say it took about a month before I was seeing 20/20 clearly with no ghosting. This is 20/20 with BOTH eyes. If I close my right eye, I can see that my left eye is not as crisp as my right, but I still have more healing to do. Using both eyes, I do not notice anything different about my left because they are close enough that my right eye compensates for any difference. I am seeing very well right now and when driving, I have no trouble with street signs, license plates, etc. This morning, I noticed at a stop light that I could see individual leaves on the distant trees. The computer screen is nice and crisp, too, which is important as I work on a computer all day. Late night TV in bed - no glasses and crisp!

I still have some halos at night, but it's not bad and I only notice it on bright lights when I get close to them. This too, should diminish in time.

Not everyone heals at the same rate. I've heard many different accounts for PRK patients, from clear vision in a few weeks to six months or more. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
MamaBean

Re: Just had PRK 11/15/07 ....

Postby houstonman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:32 pm

ok for the first time I can use the PC however I have to have the screen on 0 brghtness. Its been a roller coaster ride with these eyes. day of surgery all was well.. next day my eyes are 20/20 and feeling better than ever.... then the next day satruday... my right eye goes blurry to the extreme. I freak out and go to the doc and they say my eyes are in good condition with my right eye with a bit of inflimation. I stayed in the dark all day... tidat Sunday I woke up with right eye still blurry. I forgot to mention all day yesterday I could not keep my eyes open to save my life. it was such a oain! Today I can keep eyes open with both eyes regressing in vision. the contacts are also a bit cloudy due to all the drops. Tomorrow contacts will be takin out so wish me luck! Thanks again guys.
houstonman

Re: Just had PRK 11/15/07 ....

Postby houstonman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:45 am

Ok guys for another update... I had my contacts taken out today (thank god!). They were all gunky as expected. As soon as they were out I noticed my vision was hazy and still a bit out of focus. It stayed this way for the remainder of the day. However for the good side... I was able to watch TV and use PC with NO problems today... YAYAY. Everything looked great and had no problems there. Im hoping my vision will settle down by tomorrow even though I know deep down that is already asking for too much with PRK. One day at a time....
houstonman

Postby houstonman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:41 pm

OMG OMG OMG! This morning I can see better than EVER before. Its like waking up and having HD vision. Its almost scary how clear things are!
houstonman

Postby MamaBean » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:28 am

Congratulations! You're doing great - and so soon! I had to wait more than three weeks for the astigmatism to resolve in my left eye. I love how crisp everything looks now. When I drive, I can't get over how easy it is to read license plates. And I can't wait to go to the movies without my glasses. Before, no matter how well I thought I cleaned my glasses, when I watched a theater movie it seemed I could always see smudges and marks on the lenses.

How's your night vision? Do you see any starbursts or haloes?
MamaBean

Postby houstonman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:57 am

MamaBean wrote:Congratulations! You're doing great - and so soon! I had to wait more than three weeks for the astigmatism to resolve in my left eye. I love how crisp everything looks now. When I drive, I can't get over how easy it is to read license plates. And I can't wait to go to the movies without my glasses. Before, no matter how well I thought I cleaned my glasses, when I watched a theater movie it seemed I could always see smudges and marks on the lenses.

How's your night vision? Do you see any starbursts or haloes?

haha. Guess what I did today! Not only did I watch a movie at the theatre... I watched it on IMAX with 3D Glasses!!!! It was the movie baywolf. I almost wanted to cry when it started because I couldnt not believe how clear and real it all looked. Especially not being able to watch 3d movies well when I had the 3d glasses over my glasses. Today marks 8 days from surgery and I couldnt ask for better results. my right eye has cleard up and left has regressed just a tad. My night vision is a bit hazy however NO halos nor Starbursts. Its just amazing to me and every day I have to bring it up to someone LOL. Its just soooo great and has really made me a new person inside and out!
houstonman

Postby eggroll » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:35 am

I'm so glad that the surgery went well for you too! i can't wait to have mine done. i still haven't decided to go with lasik or something else, but my consultation is coming up, so i'll wait till then. weren't you doing a documentary or something? are you still going to post it on youtube?
eggroll

Postby houstonman » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:00 pm

eggroll wrote:I'm so glad that the surgery went well for you too! i can't wait to have mine done. i still haven't decided to go with lasik or something else, but my consultation is coming up, so i'll wait till then. weren't you doing a documentary or something? are you still going to post it on youtube?

Yeah look into it and make sure the choice you make is the one you are most comfortable with. I remember I was going to get lasik 8 months ago and couldn't sleep well because deep down I felt it wasn't the right choice. I backed out the day of surgery and never regretted it. I did more studying and decided PRK was the one and I never felt scared or lost 1 minute of sleep. I think it was the flap that really got to me more than anything because im young and no one really knows the long terms effects of it. PRK however as been around longer and gives you 2% better vision. Yeah the 1st 3 days were crappy but after that it was all smooooth sailing!
houstonman

Postby eggroll » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:00 pm

now that i've read more stuff about PRK, i'm really thinking about getting PRK instead. i'm also bothered by the flap creation for lasik. i've been reading posts from "had it done while ago" section, and it seems like more people who had lasik posting about thier problems instead of PRK. just one thing that's been bothering me is that how you have to wear the contacts after the surgery, for 3 days straight(or whenever ur doctor takes them out), because i can't even stand wearing contacts for more than 2 hours(they just irritate my eye!) is that a big deal? :p
eggroll

Postby tootsieroll » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:08 am

Me too!! Never could keep them on for more than 3 hours. Its the reason why I am getting PRK. My glasses are just too heavy. I heard that after the surgery the contacts will be pretty tight because of the swelling.
tootsieroll

Postby houstonman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:07 am

eggroll wrote:now that i've read more stuff about PRK, i'm really thinking about getting PRK instead. i'm also bothered by the flap creation for lasik. i've been reading posts from "had it done while ago" section, and it seems like more people who had lasik posting about thier problems instead of PRK. just one thing that's been bothering me is that how you have to wear the contacts after the surgery, for 3 days straight(or whenever ur doctor takes them out), because i can't even stand wearing contacts for more than 2 hours(they just irritate my eye!) is that a big deal? :p

I wore contacts for 2 or 3 years and HATED THEM!!!! I must say the kind the doc provides are tottaly different than any kind of contact I have ever had. You dont feel them or even know that they are there. the day they take em off is a good feeling just because the thought of the contact being gunky from drops but let me be the one to tell u.... you dont even know they are in your eyes!!!
houstonman

Postby houstonman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:08 am

tootsieroll wrote:Me too!! Never could keep them on for more than 3 hours. Its the reason why I am getting PRK. My glasses are just too heavy. I heard that after the surgery the contacts will be pretty tight because of the swelling.

contacts are never tight. u cant even feel them EVER. Its deff nothing I would base my decision over. Contacts you cant feel are bettter than a flap beaing created in your eye that will never heal.
houstonman

Postby houstonman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:00 pm

2 week update...

Well I have good and bad news. My best vision is outside during the bright sun. I can see just about anything and everything. Today I gave my self an eye test outside and noticed that things were superb when I closed my left eye. However when closing my right eye... everything was a bit out of focus with the left. When both eyes open I couldnt really tell a difference.

Indoors and night vision are a totally different story. Everything regresses and goes down hill. I went walmart shopping yesterday around 8 pm and found it hard to make out isle signs and products from a distance. Faces were also blurred till they were about 5 to 10 steps in front of me.

Indoor vision is just as bad as night vision. things a out of focus however manageable to get by. BLeh.... I know this is all normal and all I can do is just wait for things to clear up during night and indoor. Docs said my eyes are still healing and it will take time for vision to be 100% crisp. I understand it and I dont regret the surgery 1 bit.

After an eye exam 2 days ago I was 20/20 with both eyes open and something diff when one eye done at a time. I will update when I notice any more changes.
houstonman

Thanks, Houstonman

Postby scippy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Thank you, Houstonman.

It has really helped me reading your log and updates. I just had PRK done on my right eye and it was helpful to follow your progress.

My doctor recommended for me to wait at least 3 weeks between eyes so I am impressed that you had both eyes done at the same time. I can only imagine that the discomfort must be twice what I am experiencing.

Were your eyes red and inflamed with the contacts in? And then much more relieved with the "bandage" lens removed? My protective contact is in for 7 days total and I can't wait to get it taken off in 4 more days.

Thanks again!
scippy

Next

Return to Just Had It