Just had PRK 11/15/07 ....

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Re: Thanks, Houstonman

Postby houstonman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:45 pm

scippy wrote:Thank you, Houstonman.

It has really helped me reading your log and updates. I just had PRK done on my right eye and it was helpful to follow your progress.

My doctor recommended for me to wait at least 3 weeks between eyes so I am impressed that you had both eyes done at the same time. I can only imagine that the discomfort must be twice what I am experiencing.

Were your eyes red and inflamed with the contacts in? And then much more relieved with the "bandage" lens removed? My protective contact is in for 7 days total and I can't wait to get it taken off in 4 more days.

Thanks again!

Glad I can be of help... I was sure it would be helpful to someone out there. As for the contacts, they never ever bothered me. I didnt even know they were in half the time and if I the doc never told me I never would of known I had them. They never caused inflamation. The only reason I wanted them out was because I was dying to see what it was like when they were off... when taken off it felt like my eyes were fresh and got rid of some cloudy ness but for the most part it was almost the same vision as when they were in. I never till this day experienced red eye... even the day of surgery my eyes were never red. Granted I also spent 6k on the surgery and went to the very best doc so not sure if that had something to do with it.
I wanted to do 1 eye but my doc said my eyes were perfect to be done at same time and Im 23 years of age so I didnt argue. I had contacts in for 5 days including day of surgery. Yeah the discomfort came the first 3 days....AHHHHH THEY BURNED AND I COULDNT SEE LIGHT TO SAVE MY LIFE. However today I am better than ever with light. I went and got some oaklys and they are AWESOME (Polarized). Let me know if I can help with anything else. Oh and I find sistane drops to be the best drops of em all for re wetting.
houstonman

Postby MamaBean » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:05 am

Just be patient, it will get better. Fluctuations are to be expected during the first few weeks while the eyes heal. It took me about a month for my vision to clear up and stay that way. This also coincided with the subsiding of my dryness as well. It's now been six weeks since my PRK procedure, and I have 20/15 wonderfully clear vision, and NO dryness whatsoever. I was afraid in the beginning that I was going to be spending tons of money on lubricating drops for a long time, but now I rarely use them, maybe once in the morning, but that's it.

New things I really enjoy...buying sunglasses! I can buy any pair I want! I've already gotten four pairs. Oh, and last week I got a haircut, and before I used to remove my glasses so they didn't get in the way, but then I couldn't see what the stylist was doing in the mirror. Not anymore!
MamaBean

Thanks for Encouragement

Postby scippy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:13 am

Thank you both. I have another friend who has undergone PRK and he has been very encouraging as well. I expected all this discomfort but I have to admit I was sitting around today thinking, "Do I really want to do the other eye in a few weeks?" Of course I know the answer to this but it does help to hear that these should be the worst two or three days... knock on wood.

I am scheduled to go back to work on Monday. With the long recovery times I wonder how all of you did it but I suppose I can still function despite all the fluctations in vision? At least I still have my non-operated eye which can see fine with a corrective contact lens. I have nightmares that I will have to drive to work with my surgery eye closed but hopefully it will not be that bad.

Thanks again. I know it is worth it!
scippy

Postby eggroll » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:06 pm

MamaBean wrote:New things I really enjoy...buying sunglasses! I can buy any pair I want! I've already gotten four pairs. Oh, and last week I got a haircut, and before I used to remove my glasses so they didn't get in the way, but then I couldn't see what the stylist was doing in the mirror. Not anymore!

omg! i know! i can't wait till i get my eyes done! i have a pair of sunglasses, but i don't ever use them because i have to wear glasses, and they're just collecting dust! i also hate how i spend time putting makeup on, and finally i have to put my glasses back on, i feel like my glasses are covering up my whole face, so everyone is just looking at my glasses instead of my face! lol.

hmmm, i'm still kind of scared how it takes so long to heal for PRK, im still deciding between either that, or lasik with intralace. well my consultation is tomorrow, so i'll wait till then to see what the doc says.
eggroll

Postby houstonman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:33 pm

eggroll wrote:
MamaBean wrote:New things I really enjoy...buying sunglasses! I can buy any pair I want! I've already gotten four pairs. Oh, and last week I got a haircut, and before I used to remove my glasses so they didn't get in the way, but then I couldn't see what the stylist was doing in the mirror. Not anymore!

hmmm, i'm still kind of scared how it takes so long to heal for PRK, im still deciding between either that, or lasik with intralace. well my consultation is tomorrow, so i'll wait till then to see what the doc says.

yeah the docs are prob going to push u to do lasik which is still cool. I was pushed so hard to lasik by my docs but I went against it with PRK. PRK is just so much easier to have done and no flap. Its been around the longest and I love the idea of no flap.
houstonman

Re: Thanks for Encouragement

Postby MamaBean » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:25 am

scippy wrote:I am scheduled to go back to work on Monday. With the long recovery times I wonder how all of you did it but I suppose I can still function despite all the fluctations in vision? At least I still have my non-operated eye which can see fine with a corrective contact lens. I have nightmares that I will have to drive to work with my surgery eye closed but hopefully it will not be that bad.

I had the same worries about the long recovery time but I decided to take a gamble and do both eyes at the same time. Based on my pre-op exam, the odds were greatly in my favor that I would do well. I was still worried that about having to return to work on the 6th day after the procedure, and my commute is one-hour long, much of it on an interstate highway. I also work on the computer all day long, so that was another worry - would I be able to see well enough to work? On my first day back to work, my left eye was still quite blurry, with significant ghosting. My right eye was pretty clear, but tended to fluctuate during the day. Needless to say, I drove very carefully! Computer text wasn't the easiest to read, but I managed. I just made sure to use the lubricating drops frequently because dryness is one factory in visual clarity.
MamaBean

Re: Thanks for Encouragement

Postby houstonman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:33 am

Bleh thought I would update people on my shopping experience... it was pretty bad. I walked through the mall being able to READ AND SEE EVERY lettter however everything else was a blur. I dont really know how to explain this but if you have had the pre op done before the surgery ... they give you a drop to make your pupils dilate... well when you leave after the dilation ... you can see just fine HOWEVER things are out of focus and this is exactly how my vision is indoors and at night while driving. It is somewhat of a pain but I do know that its way too early to complain about it. These are all steps to healing.
houstonman

Postby eggroll » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 pm

yea, i had my pupils dialated at the consultation, and it was hard for me to focus on something really close, and like the words on the paper was all blurry. i hope it's getting better for you.
eggroll

Postby houstonman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:36 am

Ok guys thought it was time for another update. Today was FANTASTIC!!!! My vision was at an all time high today! things were bright and soooo clear to see. I was able to see EVERY crisp detail when driving today. I noticed around 7pm that every light had Halos around it and every stop light had alot of blur around it. However at around 11pm it all went away. I went out to a club and everything was as clear as the day time. Had a good time and vision was 100%

Cant wait till tomorrow!
houstonman

Previous

Return to Just Had It