Hyperopic Lasik 10-25-07 seeing double at 3 weeks

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Hyperopic Lasik 10-25-07 seeing double at 3 weeks

Postby LazyI » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:13 am

Just had blade-free Custom Lasik on October 25th. I was farsighted +3.25 right and +2.50 left with moderate astigmatism. I chose a doctor in my area that had performed 20,000+ procedures and used the VISX Star S4 and VISX CustomVue. Lasing lasted 45 seconds left and 49 seconds right.
I think that I was an informed patient on the risks, had realisic expectations, feel great about the amount of pre-operative screening, have been taking the eye drops religiously but at 3 weeks I am seeing blurry/double and it is a bit troublesome.

Results "by the chart" are 20/25 left eye and 20/30 right eye, and things are blurry at a distance. I can function, just things are not very crisp. My eye doctor (not the surgeon, I am co-managed) has indicated that at 3 weeks one eye is slightly nearsighted and the other has slight astigmatism. My next appointment is in one month and he wants to see at that visit if the double-vision is still present. If so, he mentioned potentially having an enhancement where they "cut" or "slit" my cornea a bit (not sure I remember exactly which he said, was mildly shocked as that was a new one to me).

The double-vision seems much more pronounced in my left eye, and I recall during the pre-op that the tech had to re-do my wavefront reading of my left eye because my pupil was too small. I had to concentrate and consciously "relax" my eye to get the proper reading. Was told not to try so hard to focus on the blinking red light and I may have actually relaxed so much it went blurry.

At this point I guess I have 3 main questions:
1) Is the ghosting or double-vision normal at 3 weeks?
2) Could I have done something to induce it during the pre-op?
3) I am not crazy about having another procedure done just yet and it concerns me that my doctor who is not a surgeon brought it up so quickly. I feel more informed than he on some of the Lasik topics. Anyone have an enhancement experience or advice?
LazyI

Postby Mack » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:48 am

H-lasik recovery takes much longer than myopic lasik. Mine took about 2 years to fully stabilize. At only 2 weeks out, there could still be some edema and dry eye that are degrading your early results. Those will usually resolve with time. Seeing double in your left probably indicates that is your dominant eye and it's left with some residual astigmatism. Does that go away with correction when they refracted you? If so, its fixable with enhancement or may resolve on its own. Your right eye was more overcorrected from +3.25 and is probably near sighted which is good. You want to be able to allow regression to take that back to plano. Ask your doc for your current refractive error. You wont know how things will shake out until at least 3 months, maybe longer. So patience is key. An enhancement could probably fix any residual astigmatism, but I would wait until at least 6 months to a year for that.
Mack

Postby croanster » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 am

Hi there LazyI. How's things going? Like Mack says it's a long recovery time with H-Lasik so hang in there. I still see double on some days at 4 months!

Definately don't think about doing any more surgery yet give it some time and try to be patient (hard as it is sometimes). It'll get lots better than it is now!

1) I think its normal - i certainly had it
2) I doubt it very much. Lots of different measurements are assesed to arrive at the level of correction right for you and then there's the regression wildcard...
3) Dont rush into anything. My co-managing optom was a really good fella however his knowledge of lasik was poor. He didn't even know there was such a thing as an enhancment.

Hang in there.
croanster

Postby LazyI » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:07 am

Mack,
You are correct. My left eye is my dominant eye and my eye doc did say that I had some astigmatism. My recollection is that it mostly goes away when I get refracted, though not completely. Sounds like this is an indication of what to expect when everything is stable.
You are also correct, my right is a bit near sighted right now. Glad to hear that is a good thing.
Not sure what my current refractive error is, but will find out.

croanster,
Sorry that you still see double, but thanks so much for sharing. Took a big portion of my anxiety away hearing that. Over the past few days I have noticed a greater flux in my vision for some reason. My blurry double vision would go to triple vision at times and "smear" rather than be a crisp ghost. Sounds like I need to let things settle down.

Overall, not sure what to expect. It will be interesting to see what my eye doc recommends at my check up in a month. Will post again is any updates and appreciate any other experience from others as well.
LazyI

Postby LazyI » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:01 pm

Ask your doc for your current refractive error.

Mack,
3 weeks post surgery refractive error:
Right: -0.50 -0.50 x30
Left: 0.00 -1.25 x135
LazyI

Postby croanster » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:41 am

Are you over or under 40? Is that cycloplegic (drops in) or manifest?

There can be a large difference between the two if you're under 40 odd..

Is your double vision worse looking at green lights? This could indicate you haven't adjusted to your eyes yet and are accommodating for you're old refractive error still.
croanster

Postby LazyI » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:36 pm

I am under 40 (36) and the refraction is without being dialated. I certainly do see double looking at green stoplights, but also on the red/yellow and street signs.
On a good note, the halo around headlights at night is dramatically less than it was initially.
I am now 4 weeks post surgery.
LazyI

Postby Mack » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 pm

At only 4 weeks, your present refracted results indicate you are a little over corrected on the myopic cylinder side with more induced astigmatism than the doc would have wanted to see. Healing response with h-lasik including some astig is always the most challenging wild card in this procedure. I recall seeing the differing amounts of double images from different colored lights, especially easy to see at stop lights. Green was worse than yellow or red. That is a by product of the induced astigmatism and will likely contiune to change. It may get better or it may get worse. With correction and then later after I got CK to clean up the residual astig, most all of that went away. Based on my own experience, my guess is you should continue to regress a lttle more towards less myopia, both sphere and cylinder, but dont expect to get within half a diopter of plano on either. Best to wait it out for about 6 months and then carefully evaluate how to best proceed with an enhancement. Hopefully your present doc is very skilled in h-lasik enhancements. If not, ask him to be candid about referring a colleaugue or center who is. Good luck.
Mack

Hyperopic LASIK Results

Postby gkrogers » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Please read my postings at http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... .php?t=850. I was +4 in both eyes and had moderate astigmatism in both eyes. I had LASIK back in Apr 07. Over all I would say I'm satisfied. We heal diferently than Myopic people. I have had good and bad days and still do. My distant vision is not quite as good as I would like and I think some of my astigmatism has returned. I agree with the other folks, the final outcome may be a year or so out after you get LASIK. Also lubrication is a big factor. Good Luck. :lol:
gkrogers

Return to Just Had It