3 and 1/2 weeks post-op LASIK-complications

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

3 and 1/2 weeks post-op LASIK-complications

Postby Mr Blonde » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:30 am

Hello all,

26 days ago I underwent Custom Bladeless LASIK, and I am suffering from poor night vision quality. I followed all of the doctor's orders and used the antibiotic drops and Predforte drops every 4 hours for the first week. I have been using the lubricating Refresh drops once every 1-2 hours, I slept with the eye shields for 1 week as recommended, and I haven't rubbed or touched my eyes once.

It's been 3 and a half weeks and I'm still having a really tough time at night, so much to the point where I am reluctant to go out on the road. I get bad starbursts from car headlights and streetlights, halos around street signs, and bad glare from car tail and break lights-it seems as if the light from the cars is leaking all over my field of vision. I noticed that the closer I get to the car lights or street lights, the smaller the glare appears, until I'm up close and it is virtually non-existent. I also notice that this problem is worst on streets or highways with no overhead lighting and little traffic. The more cars and more streetlights there are, the smaller the starbursts and glare appears. The same applies for when I turn on the interior light-everything looks fine for me. Unfortunately it is illegal in my state to drive with the interior lights on.

My doctor told me this is due to inflammation and swelling and he said it would resolve over the next couple of weeks. He said this to me over 2 weeks ago and I'm coming up on almost one month post-surgery.

My question is: Realistically, what are the chances of these problems being permanent for me??

I appreciate any and all serious input.
Mr Blonde

Postby Metaphor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:40 am

Hi Mr Blonde,

Sorry to hear the side effects. Does your starbursts get worse when you are looking at the streets from a high level (high-rise apartment)?

For my case, the starbursts appear worse when im behind the car compared to when im walking on the streets and looking at the oncoming traffic and street lamps.

My starbursts only improve near to the 2 months mark and hence, you should give it another 2 months for it to subside to a level which is less disturbing.

Btw, do you know the size of your pupils? It could determine whether it is one of the causes of the starbursts that you are seeing.

Hope it helps
Metaphor

Postby Mr Blonde » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:23 am

Metaphor-

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how my starbursts vary from different altitudes, or if they vary at all. I haven't gotten the opportunity to view things from up high yet.

I'm unaware of my exact pupil size, however, I do remember during my free LASIK consultation about 9 months ago that one of the doctors did mention to me that I do have large pupils, but he also said if he were me he'd go ahead and get the surgery anyway. Mind you, I considered his advice but I was always going to get "final cut" from my optometrist of 9 years, who is not only my doctor but a trusted friend as well.

It's nice to hear that I still have hope, and that the window of time for healing can possibly be stretched to 2 months for me, as it was for you. Thanks, I appreciate your response.
Mr Blonde

Postby rosecmd » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:50 pm

You really are just in the intial healing stages -- it can take starbursts and night vision several months to improve. I had lasix July 9, and did not feel comfortable with driving at night for several months. Patience, time, and diligent use of eye drops to minimize lasik-induced dry eye is key. You just have to wait it out. In the meantime, it is alarming, but try not to worry too much at this stage.
rosecmd

Postby floatanddry » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:42 pm

I agree with above. I did not have quite the light scatter you describe, but I did not feel great about night driving till about 3 months out (about 4 weeks ago). Even at the three month mark I remember driving at dusk and being pretty freaked out. In the last two weeks I'm back to my old self with night driving. Starburst and haloes off of some type of lights (really bring whit ehalogen) are worse than pre-op, but manageable still and I hope will get better. I do agree that follow-up with the doctor is key - you may also want to see if pupil size is an issue and use alphagen-p as an experiment. Your doctor can advise you on this.

FD
floatanddry

Return to Just Had It