Just had thin flap lasik (sbk)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had thin flap lasik (sbk)

Postby dadoes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:24 pm

I just wanted to share my experience with my procedure. I have gotten a lot of great information from this forum and I want to give a little bit back.

First some information about myself and my eyes:

Wearing glasses and contacts since 6th grade.

Prescription:

6.80 left eye
7.80 right eye

So fairly high myopia

Corneal thickness:

570 microns left eye
547 microns right eye

So my corneal thickness is pretty good.

Pupil size:

Around 7mm both eyes, don't remember the exact numbers, but they are fairly large.

HOA Test

around 2.5 (.0025??) in both eyes

Doctor said that was pretty low.

I had the consultation with my lasik doctor and it was decided because of my high prescription, large pupils, and fairly low HOA numbers that I would get thin flap (using a blade) lasik with a conventional laser because the wavefront laser would remove too much tissue. If an enhancement was needed, then they would do the enhancement with the wavefront. The laser used would be the visx star s4 (in conventional mode) with an optical zone of 6.5mm blended out to 8.2mm.

Day 1 (Surgery)

The procedure was pretty routine. They gave me a valium beforehand (which didn't work at all as I was still super nervous during the procedure) and put a bunch of drops in my eyes and in about 15 minutes it was done. I didn't hear any yelling or cursing by the doctor or nurses so I assumed it went well. :-)

After the procedure I asked how much tissue was removed and although I don't remember the exact numbers, the flap thickness for both eyes was around 95 microns (a bit thicker than I was expecting) and the amount of tissue removed for the right eye was around 96 and 84 for the left eye. So the total amount of tissue removed for both eyes was less than 200 microns each.

Went home, took the sleeping pills they gave me and went to bed.

Day 2

Woke up, the left eye was pretty much clear from the beginning, the right eye was kinda blurry, but both eyes felt really good.

My biggest concern about the lasik procedure was severe dry eyes. I had mild dry eyes before lasik and I was afraid that the lasik would make it worse. I'm extremely glad to say that this wasn't the case at all. My dry eyes aren't any worse than they were before the surgery. I'm not sure if this is because I had thin flap lasik or just because of my genetics. Who knows, but I'm very happy about it.

Another concern I had was halos and starbursts at night because of my large pupils. I already experienced halos and starbusts when wearing contacts and glasses at night so I knew what to expect, and again I'm happy to say that while I do see halos, there aren't much worse than what I was seeing with my glasses/contacts.

My postop appt was at 930a, and my eyes felt good enough that I drove to the appt myself. I tested 20/25 on the left eye and 20/20 on the right eye. I told the doctor about the blurriness in the right eye and he said thats just part of the healing process and will get better. He looked into my eyes and said everything looks fine.

So all in all, I'm pretty happy about my procedure. I'll update my status as I progress.

Thank you Glenn for providing this great forum.

Dave
dadoes

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:24 am

Thank you for the kind words, but this forum is provided through the support of the doctors we have certified. It is great only because people like you visit, ask questions, and provide your personal experience.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dadoes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:41 am

Just had my 3 week checkup. I'm seeing 20/20 with both eyes, but the right eye is still blurry for distance. Dry eyes are mild and not that much of a problem.

I also got my records and I have a question for Glenn.

I was told that they would use a 6.5 mm optical zone, but looking at the treatment information, this doesn't seem to be the case.

I was treated using the visx s4 in conventional mode for myopia and astigmatism. Here are my numbers:

OD:

treatment information (Spectacle Plane):

desired correction: -7.80 ds +0.50 dc x 155 12.50 mm
blend zone enabled

laser information (corneal plane):

total ablation depth: 98 um
total number of pulses: 442 pulses
laser correction: -6.69 ds -0.42 dc x 65 0.00 mm
m ellipse 6.0 mm x 5.8 mm 77 um 346 pulses -5.69 ds -0.42 dc x 65
m blend 8.0 mm diameter 21 um 96 pulses -1.00 ds 0.00 dc

treatment information (spectacle plane):

desired correction: -6.70 ds +0.75 dc x 77 12.50 mm
blend zone enabled:

laser information (corneal plane):

total ablation depth: 82 um
total number of pulses: 374 pulses
laser correction: -5.54 ds -0.64 x 167 0.00 mm
m ellipse 6.0 mm x 5.5 mm 61 um 278 pulses -4.54 ds -0.64 dc x 167
m blend 8.0 mm diameter 21 um 96 pulses -1.00 ds 0.00 dc

Looking at the ellipse information, it looks like the optical zone was 6.0 mm and not 6.5mm. I'm wondering if one of the techs made a mistake.

My halos at night aren't really that bad, but I'm wondering if it would have been better if the optical zone was expanded to 6.5mm since my pupils are in the 7mm range?
dadoes

Return to Just Had It