Had Lasik yesterday

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Lasik yesterday

Postby gaucho99 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:26 am

I'm about 24 hours post surgery and am optomistic. My vision was 20-400 before going in and today, I'm close to 20-20.

The operation was as smooth or smoother than expected, a little tense but no pain, not even after. Some people report a burning sensation in the hours after the procedure but for me, there was nothing.

I went in the morning for a follow up appointment and could not quite read the bottom line, so I'm just short of 20-20. My only disappointment is the close range vision. I was told I would need glasses for reading, (I'm 48 ) but I was hoping they were wrong. But as it turns out, I do need them for reading, as well as any activity requiring close up vision, including doing what I am doing now, typing on the computer.

But all in all, I'm happy.
gaucho99

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:25 am

I'm delighted to hear of your progess thus far. Yes, unfortunately the doctors tend to be correct when they tell a 48 year old s/he will need reading glasses after Lasik. Even a laser cannot reverse presbyopia. At least not yet.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gaucho99 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:22 am

Twelve days after surgery and I guess I cannot complain. My distance vision is excellent but it is a little tough getting used to the poor close up vision. For someone who has been nearsighted all my life, I still want to put my glasses on to look far away and off to focus close up. I still have a little halo at night around lights but that is minimal. I was talked in to the plugs that are designed to help keep your eyes moist and I have not had any problem with dry eye.

All in all, I'm happy but I would empasize for those over 40 not to underestimate how much you will need reading glasses. It's not just for reading, it's for any vision up to 5 to 7 feet away. Anthing you do with your hands, like working with tools, or on a computer, even searching through the fridge will probably require glasses. I got some reading glasses and put them on a strap around my neck.
gaucho99

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 am

People who are over about age 40, myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) and wear glasses often are shocked their at poor near vision after Lasik. There is nothing wrong with the procedure, it is just that all the advantages of myopia and being able to remove your glasses are gone. I call this Sudden Presbyopia. People who wear contact lenses exclusively are often not quite so shocked because they have been using reading glasses for near vision all along.

You may be just slightly overcorrected into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision that may regress with more time. At about one month postop ask your surgeon for a current prescription. This will give you a better idea of what you can expect with continued healing. Your near vision may improve.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It