Had sutures from flap complications

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had sutures from flap complications

Postby bleachd » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:40 am

Today is 12/23/07 and I had LASIK in both eyes (for myopia and slight astigmatism) on 12/13/07. I have some questions about my potential corrected vision outcome based on the complications I've had.

The initial procedure went well. At the one-day follow-up I had to have both corneal flaps refloated due to wrinkling of thin flaps. The doc put in bandages to keep the flaps in place.

Went back the next day and the right eye looked OK but the left still had a little wrinkling, Doc left bandage in to see if the wrinkles would work themselves out.

Went back 2 days later (Mon. 12/17/07) and doc refloated left flap again. Two days later still had wrinkles and right eye may have developed another one so doc recommended suturing both flaps.

On Thursday 12/20/07 I had both flaps sutured and at the next day follow-up the bandages were removed and corneas looked smooth.

Now for my questions: My vision was almost 20/40 with the wrinkles but still pretty blurry (a lot of guessing on the eye chart). After suturing my vision is better than before the surgery but actually worse than with the wrinkles and after three days does not show a lot of improvement, if any.

I'm frustrated and frankly scared that my vision might not improve. Has anyone out there had sutures after LASIK? My doc said the swelling would take a little longer to go down so the improved vision might take a little longer but I'm really not sure what I should realistically expect.

Most people can drive the next day and I can barely see my monitor to type this post.

Any advice or words of encouragement? Anything I can do to improve my situation?

Thanks!
bleachd

Re: Had sutures from flap complications

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:41 am

bleachd wrote:I'm frustrated and frankly scared that my vision might not improve. Has anyone out there had sutures after LASIK? My doc said the swelling would take a little longer to go down so the improved vision might take a little longer but I'm really not sure what I should realistically expect.

What you have is very most likely macro-striae.

No matter how skillful the surgeon, every suture will cause an irregularity in the cornea. These multiple irregularities will change the focus and alignment of light entering your eye. This will often result in poor vision quality, especially in low light environments.

The sutures are creating internal pressure on the flap, which is what you need at the moment. When they dissolve or are removed (depending upon the type), some of the internal pressure will relax and your cornea will settle back into a more natural state. The cornea will be more smooth and spherical with the sutures gone.

Corneal edema (inflammation) is very common after suturing. It is likely irregular. Edema will undoubtedly be temporary, resolving as you heal.

bleachd wrote:Any advice or words of encouragement? Anything I can do to improve my situation?

What you are experiencing is undoubtedly temporary and is most likely an artifact of the suturing. You don't have the "20 Minute Miracle", but based upon what you have described at least some, if not all, of the difficulties you are having will resolve once the corneal has a chance to heal.

Don't expect too much progress until the sutures are gone, and then expect rapid improvement the first few weeks after.

Keeping the eyes lubricated with preservative-free artificial tears helps promote healing. A nighttime gel lubricant can be helpful too. See our article on artificial tears.

Please be sure to return and tell us how you progress. Your experience will undoubtedly be helpful for others.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It