My experience and question about post-op edema

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

My experience and question about post-op edema

Postby Kev6200 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:55 pm

I have gained a lot from reading all the posts and I really appreciate this forum. I thought I would share my experience and ask a question.

I am a 43 y/o male in fairly good health, I have medically controlled hypertension and a history of hypercholesterol. I am (was) myopic with OD being -4.50 and OS being -5.75 +0.75 X 52.

I researched centers here in Phoenix and chose an all laser LASIK procedure performed by a large center based on a recommendation from a co-worker and the history of the center. They publish they have performed over 20,000 corrective eye surgeries. I did ask many of the 50 hard questions and was satisfied with answers so I went ahead with the procedure.

Being 43 and already slightly presbyopic I chose monovision and it was performed using Intralase and the Allegretto Wave laser. I am now almost 48 hours post op and so far am very pleased with the result.

I was a little disappointed immediately post op, because I was not prepared for how bad my vision would be immediately after surgery. That was my only negative from the experience so far. After my surgery, my wife drove me home and I went to bed and slept relatively comfortably all night. When I woke up yesterday my vision was much, much clearer.

At my post op check my vision not 20/20, but was not too bad, I don't remember the actual numbers, but definitely acceptable. My post op med regime is Nevanac, Vigamox and Prednisone (OS only) 4 times per day, with artificial tears PRN. The reason the predinisone is 4 times per day OS is that yesterday at my post op check the optometrist said my right eye was a little more edemateous than they liked and increased my prednisone in the right eye to 6 times per day and to follow up in 5 days to check the progress. My vision has fluctuated during the day just as I have read has been the experience of many others on the board.

I guess my question is the swelling OD an issue or is it too early to tell? I do feel my right eye is a little hazy with distance vision. I am not sure if the feeling is due to the monovision or the swelling. I know that 48 hours is just a short time and I am trying to be patient. I guess I would like some reassurance that I am on the right track or see if there is anything else I could be doing. I appreciate the opportunity to relate my experience and ask questions.

Thanks for hosting this and giving such knowledgeable advice. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Kevin
Kev6200

New issue

Postby Kev6200 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:14 am

I am not sure if any will reply to this as no one has replied to my first post, but I will try again. Just a brief bkgrd prior to my question. Had Intralase and Allegretto Wave LASIK done last Thursday 1/10. My vision was -4.5 OD and -5.75 OS with a slight astigmatism. On my next day check the optometrist increased my Prednisone drops to 6 times per day due to edema.

My question is this -- I am now 5 days out and just today (1/15) I noticed I have a bloody arc on the top of my iris on both eyes. I don't know if that has been the case since the surgery or if this a new development I have not noticed, but I didn't specifically look. It is only visible when I look down. My question is, is this a normal finding or should I contact my on call physician? I have also noticed more vision fluctuation the last two days; I know that fluctations happen, but am just a little more worried about them in conjunction with the blood in the eyes. Thanks.

Kevin
Kev6200

Re: New issue

Postby Walt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:37 am

Kev6200 wrote:I am not sure if any will reply to this as no one has replied to my first post, but I will try again. Just a brief bkgrd prior to my question. Had Intralase and Allegretto Wave LASIK done last Thursday 1/10. My vision was -4.5 OD and -5.75 OS with a slight astigmatism. On my next day check the optometrist increased my Prednisone drops to 6 times per day due to edema.

My question is this -- I am now 5 days out and just today (1/15) I noticed I have a bloody arc on the top of my iris on both eyes. I don't know if that has been the case since the surgery or if this a new development I have not noticed, but I didn't specifically look. It is only visible when I look down. My question is, is this a normal finding or should I contact my on call physician? I have also noticed more vision fluctuation the last two days; I know that fluctations happen, but am just a little more worried about them in conjunction with the blood in the eyes. Thanks.

Kevin
I have read many folks on many forms that have relayed info about blood due to the suction during the flap creation. Most likely this was there day 1.

The edema you are experiencing can blur the vision. Follow your doctors schedule for putting drops in your eyes and ask him/her any questions during your follow up appointment.
Walt

Postby croanster » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:39 pm

G'day Kev6200,

I had intralase as well and my eyes looked like an absolute mess for 2 - 3 weeks. The suction used for intralase is a bit more intense and lasts longer than the suction with a blade. The redness is normal and should slowly dissapear. Having said that, if you're worried about it you should call your Dr. I rekon they get paid well enough to answer any and all questions you might have! ;)

1 week is very early on with healing. Hang in there and wait for the improvement to kick in I'm sure it will!

Good luck!
croanster

Postby Kev6200 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks for the replies!!!

I have a f/u with them today at 1530. I am religious about my meds. I appreciate the reply.

Kevin
Kev6200

Return to Just Had It