Piggyback lense post cataract surgery with Crystalens

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Piggyback lense post cataract surgery with Crystalens

Postby Margie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:31 pm

I am a 60 year old female, with history of breast CA treated with surgery, chemo, radiation 4 years ago. I don't know if that contributed to cataracts forming or not. On 6-7-06 lense in OS was replaced with Crystalens "shaved" for monovision. 6-28-06 had OD with Crystalens with full accommodation. At my last checkup the Dr. said my OS was "too close for reading" and possible piggyback lense implant would be needed OR laser touch-up ("your corneas are too thin for Lasik"). I don't know my numbers, guess I should ask. If I close my OD I need to be within approx. 12 inches to focus my OS. My question, is this a problem that can happen or is it from a miscalculation in measurement. My vision is much better than before surgery and I was used to the monovision since I wore contacts for that previously. I haven't been able to find much on the internet regarding piggybacked lenses. Any input would be appreciated.
Margie

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:23 pm

The cause of your postoperative myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision can be a miscalculation of the power of intraocular lens (IOL), the lens is positioned inside the eye in a less than optional location, or the lens has shifted position afer implantation.

I have verified with one of the surgeons who participated in the clinical trials for the Crystalens accommodating IOL that a piggyback lens is appropriate. I recommend you inquire into your surgeon's specific practical knowledge of implantation of a piggyback lens with the Crystalens. You don't want to be the surgeon's first.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It