Dominant eye question

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Dominant eye question

Postby Midwest Man » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 pm

I am 53 and had custom intralace surgery for monovision on 1/3/08. My prescription was:
OD -2.25, -1.00, 095, +2.25
OS -1.75, -0.75, 124, +2.25

Originally, the plan was to treat my left (dominant) eye for distant vision and leave to right eye untreated for reading. At first, I tried using a contact lens in the left eye to test my response to monovision. Apparently, my brain couldn't adjust so I tried using a contact lens for the right eye and the results were much better. I explained this to my lasik doctor and he concluded that I should have the right eye treated for distance instead. So far, I am happy with the results. Is it unusual to treat the non-dominant eye for distant vision and leave the dominant eye untreated for reading? Will my right eye eventually become the dominant eye? Thank you.
Midwest Man

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:25 pm

It is less common to treat the nondominant eye for distance vision when attempting monovision, however this is exactly why a contact lens trial before monovision is so important. Whatever works with contacts is the best target in nearly all cases.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Midwest Man » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:33 am

Thanks for your reply. I placed a Snellen chart on my wall and my vision in the corrected eye is 20/15 in the morning and 20/30 at night. Driving is not problem during the predawn hours, but I need my glasses (with the right lens popped out) for driving in the evening. Apparently, the crisper vision in the morning helps with the blur supression to the point where monovision is better tolerated. I suspect this is due to dry eye. After the dry eye subsides, will my vision eventually stabilize and be uniform throughout the day? If so, is it likely to stabilize at 20/15, 20/30 or somewhere in between? Thank you in advance for your reply.
Midwest Man

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:34 am

I would not want to hazard a guess as to where your vision will settle, but it is unreasonable to expect better than "normal" 20/20 vision.

If you have monovision, it is always a good idea to have a pair of full distance correction glasses to use when distance vision and depth perception are critical, such as driving at night.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

1 month update after monovision correction in right eye.

Postby Midwest Man » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:29 am

My vision markedly improved over the last week and is 20/20 or better all hours of the day. Driving at night is not a problem but glasses are used during inclement weather in unfamiliar areas. I had my glasses modified by having the right lens changed to plano. The starbursting has diminished and is comparable to the uncorrected eye.
Midwest Man

Return to Just Had It