Hyperopic w/astig 2 weeks ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Hyperopic w/astig 2 weeks ago

Postby lscha » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 pm

I am 60 and was wearing tri-focals. Contacts were not available for me. I couldn't see close or far without glasses. I had Lasik 2 weeks ago using Bausch n Lombe flying spot. I understand that my condition takes longer to heal and my doctor is pleased with my healing at one week. I don't see him again until February 19th. I have burning questions. Can't wait. Can you maybe answer them?
I know that my eyes are dry, but not to the point of being uncomfortable so I make sure I use wetting drops every couple of hours. I am delighted with my 'new eyes' so far.
I rarely need my +1.00 cheaters and everything is clear up to about 8 to 10 feet. After that I see everything 1 1/2 times. Ghosting. Even the ghosting is clearer than I could see before my procedure tho. I am hoping that the ghosting is just edema or dry eye rather than astigmatism. I use Refresh PM at night and in the morning I have great vision a quarter mile away but 10 minutes later I'm back to ghosting beyond 10 feet. Any words of encouragement? I'm not panicky, just wonder if I'll have to worry about astigmatism. Thanks for any insight you can give me.
lscha

Re: Hyperopic w/astig 2 weeks ago

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:20 pm

lscha wrote:I rarely need my +1.00 cheaters and everything is clear up to about 8 to 10 feet. After that I see everything 1 1/2 times. Ghosting. Even the ghosting is clearer than I could see before my procedure tho. I am hoping that the ghosting is just edema or dry eye rather than astigmatism. I use Refresh PM at night and in the morning I have great vision a quarter mile away but 10 minutes later I'm back to ghosting beyond 10 feet.

This sounds very much like astigmatism (corneal irregularity) that is likely induced by edema (inflammation) and exacerbated by dry eye. Overnight your eyes become very hydrated and the cornea is more regular. This is giving you the excellent vision. As the cornea dries and/or becomes irritated the irregularity can return. It does not require much change to cause the symptoms you describe.

You are very, very early in the healing process. Report your symptoms to your doctor, keep a good dry eye treatment regimen, and expect that most, if not all, of this will resolve with continued healing.

Please report back to us as you progress.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lscha » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:29 pm

Thank you for that. I feel better. I will certainly keep you updated because there are other people out there that need to hear what normal healing time is for us farsighted patients.

Laura
lscha

Return to Just Had It