bloody ring in eyes

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

bloody ring in eyes

Postby ken3000 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I underwent the laser operation 2 days ago. The well known eye surgeon used on me the latest technology called INTERLASE LASIK which is supposed to be the softest on the eyes.

The suffering I have now isn't from the Interlase nor from the laser beam but rather from the metal ring that he placed in my eyes during the laser surgery.

My eyes are now still very scary red and my children burst into tears when they look at me thinking that I'm diseased or dying. My vision is not bad but a little blurry and weak in my left eye. My eyes feel very dry and tired and I seem to have to focus to be able to see things on a longer distance.

The doctor says that the operation went well and that I should not worry. He told me that the horrible redness in my eyes will gradually disappear within 2 weeks but i find that very hard to believe and I am now very sad, angry, and worried.

Will these very bloody red eyes ever become normal again???
ken3000

Postby Walt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:29 pm

Be assured that the red will disappear with time.
Walt

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:00 am

The blood spot and bulge on the white part of the eye is undoubtedly a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage or hematoma, which sounds much worse than it actually is. This kind of bruising can occur when the microkeratome is attached to the eye with suction to be able to make the Lasik flap. It will clear up, but will take some time. There is little you can do to speed the process.

It is like a blood blister under your skin. That may make your children somewhat less frightened of you. I'm sure they have had a blister.

It sounds like its time for you to read a children's book while making goofy expressions with your eyes. Perhaps Little Red Riding Hood. "Oh, grandmother, what big eyes you have!"
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ken3000 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:56 am

Thank you for cheering me up.

Very bad timing for me now that I got a new job which involves meeting a lot of new people. Now, I have to explain to each and everyone that I'm not a drug addict although my eyes may give this impression.

WHY DID I GET THOSE SEVERE ''sub-conjunctival hemorrhages''??? My friends who went through LASIK last month did not show any redness at all in their eyes. Am I so unlucky? Did I do anything wrong? Did the doctor do anything wrong? Why did this HEMATOMA thing happen so extensively in both of my eyes?
ken3000

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:25 am

You did nothing wrong and it is even possible the surgeon didn't do anything wrong. The Intralase femtosecond laser can seem to apply a lot of pressure. Some people are more suseptible to ocular brusing.

You may want to have fun and make up some business cards that start with; "No, really, I didn't just come from a Greatful Dead concert. I had Lasik and my eyes were bruised in the process. It does not happen to everyone. No it does not hurt, but thanks for asking. Pretty wierd, huh. Keeps away the pan-handlers though."
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ken3000 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks again.

DAY 3: Now apart from the severe hematoma in my both eyes, I have a continuous state of discomfort in my sight: feels like something is missing and that I still need eye glasses to see properly.
The dizziness transforms to irritation and then transforms to headaches. My left eye seems to be way under corrected and maybe this is causing all the problem since my right eye must now work for both eyes.
ken3000

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Discuss the difficulties with your surgeon and you may want to read our article about Lasik eye strain.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It