Post Lasik Activities & Corneal Healing

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Post Lasik Activities & Corneal Healing

Postby DryEye » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:59 pm

When can one generally do the things that they did before lasik to their eyes? When one wore contacts they could touch their eyes without really worrying about much. I am thinking to wipe tears from the corners of their eyes, getting an eyelash out of one's eye, splashing water in eyes to rinse out something or when first awakening in the morning, etc.

Also, how does the cornea heal? (When one visits their doctor they see the flap healing. Does it start by healing on the outside and work its way within the eye overtime? I have been told that in some cases the flap after a while (1 year or so) is no longer noticeable?

I have also read that many athletes have had Lasik (baseball, hockey, football, etc.) I imagine that Lasik flaps must heal quite soundly or they would've have chosen PRK (that is if they were told about it?) since playing contact sports is their livelihood?

On the conservative side of things when is it sound to do many of the things listed above without worry (3 months post lasik?)?

Thanks!
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:41 am

Almost all common activities can be resumed within 2-3 weeks postop if healing is normal. Some limitations may apply such as swimming, but a doctor can determine if there should be additional restrictions.

The best way to get something out of your eyes (with or without surgery) is almost always to flush the eye with a sterile ph balanced saline solution or artificial tears.

Lasik has a much faster recovery than PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. It has a relatively high success rate. Lasik is often appropriate for many people, including sports figures. Extreme sports are a bit different. High speed skydiving, kick boxing, and other sports where extreme conditions raise the probability of trauma to the eye is when a surface abltion may be better.

Keep in mind that there is a higher probablity of corneal haze with high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) correction with PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik when compared to Lasik or IntraLasik. Even if a person participates in extreme sports, Lasik and IntraLasik may be determined to be best. Elective surgery is always a balance between potential benefit and potential harm.

We have a detailed article about Lasik Flap Healing that gives you all the details about this process.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It