Marking pen exploding in eye during lasik surgery

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Marking pen exploding in eye during lasik surgery

Postby csmith » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:31 pm

My close friend had lasik surgery two weeks ago and when marking her eye, the pen exploded ink all in her eye. The surgeon proceeded with the lasik procedure. She has had nothing but problems such as extreme light sensitivity, pain, constant tearing etc. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of this? The dr. said in his 5000+ procedures, it had never happened. I do not think the dr. really knows what to do. She is still experiencing all of this after two weeks.
csmith

Re: Marking pen exploding in eye during lasik surgery

Postby houstonman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:20 am

csmith wrote:

My close friend had lasik surgery two weeks ago and when marking her eye, the pen exploded ink all in her eye. The surgeon proceeded with the lasik procedure. She has had nothing but problems such as extreme light sensitivity, pain, constant tearing etc. Has anyone ever experienced or heard of this? The dr. said in his 5000+ procedures, it had never happened. I do not think the dr. really knows what to do. She is still experiencing all of this after two weeks.

why do I find this to be fake?
houstonman

exploding marking pen...this is no fake

Postby beverly » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:35 pm

why do I find this to be fake?

Let me assure you, my fellow Texan, this post is not a fake. I'm the friend who is the subject of the posting. Strange as it sounds, this was my experience January 16. In addition, out of respect to the integrity of this site, a fake posting would be a slap in the face to those who've had complications with Lasik surgery. Let me recount my experience as I'm very interested in locating another who has had a similar experience.

When my surgeon marked the cornea, the marker "exploded" ink in my right eye. This could be equated to an ink pen that has malfunctioned and leaked in one's purse or pocket. Instead of having a "dot" in my eye, I had an extremely purple eye. The main concern at that moment by the surgical staff was that I would just have a purple eye until morning, but that the surgery would not be compromised. As posted by my friend, my surgeon shared that he had never had this experience in the 5,000 successful surgeries completed and that he had not heard of this before. But the one sure action was, they were going to return that pen along with the entire batch to the source.

The next morning, I was unable to see anything with my right eye. I had extreme pain, watering, and was unable to withstand any light. My left eye had 20/20 vision and experienced no problems with watering, light sensitivity, etc. In order to check my right eye, the doctor had to deaden the eye for me to keep it open. The good news was, he determined the cornea flap was intact, unwrinkled, and un folded. I was assured I would be better the next day. I was given an anti-inflammatory drop for the eye.

For the rest of the day and weekend, I could not stand any light and experienced extreme pain. The following Tuesday, I had another check-up and had 20/50 vision out of the effected eye. The outer eye was still extremely swollen, ultra sensitive to light, and the conjunctiva was very red. I was told at that time I was probably a day behind the progress of one who had surgery involving the scraping of the cornea.

Today is my first day to go without sunglasses indoors. The outside of my eye is still swollen when compared to my left eye and is still very tender. I have experienced relief by using the Refresh PM eye lubricant to decrease the friction from the eyelid hitting my eye. The good news is the vision in my right eye has improved greatly within the last two days.

The purpose of my post (and the post made by my friend earlier this week because I couldn't look at a computer screen) is to know if anyone else has experienced this. I think the length of my recovery from the "ink dump" has been much slower than anyone anticipated, but as my surgeon said, the toxicity of the ink in the amount I received was unknown.

I look forward to anyone sharing with me if you know of anyone who has had this experience or a similar one so that I can have an idea about when the irritation in my eye might clear completely.
beverly

Postby Walt » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:38 am

Except for the exploding pen, your story and symptoms aren't too far off many of ours. At the three week mark my left eye was still swollen and I could only see 20/70 out of it. By the 5 week mark I am sure I am around 20/40 in that eye. But Both of my eyes were over corrected to +.75 so 20/40 or so is were I'll stay until I decide to get them retreated.

I think when this shakes out your right eye will be right where your left eye is.

Let us know how things progress.
Walt

Re: exploding marking pen...this is no fake

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:22 pm

beverly wrote:Let me recount my experience as I'm very interested in locating another who has had a similar experience.

That is not going to be easy. I've never, ever, heard of an ocular marking pen leaking ink like this. I think you may have the dubious honor of being the first.

beverly wrote:I think the length of my recovery from the "ink dump" has been much slower than anyone anticipated, but as my surgeon said, the toxicity of the ink in the amount I received was unknown.

From your symptoms it sounds like the toxicity of the ink has affected your tearing system, not your eye directly. All your symptoms sound like extreme dry eye.

It sounds like the ink has entered the tiny channels that deliver fresh tears to the eye and carry away the dirty tears. If the tissue around these channels is irritated, it can swell and squeeze shut the conduit by which tears get to where you need them.
I suspect that you have ink deep in your punctum, the eye drains, which connect to your sinus and respiratory system. Don't be surprised if you feel some allergy type sensations too. It is even possible - although I'm only speculating and it's not very likely - that some of the ink could travel all the way to the back of your throat.

Ask your surgeon if he would present a case report about your situation to the ophthalmic medical journals for publication. I cannot find any instance of this in the published literature and although obviously rare, it would be helpful if your experience was available for future doctors and patients.

beverly wrote:I look forward to anyone sharing with me if you know of anyone who has had this experience or a similar one so that I can have an idea about when the irritation in my eye might clear completely.

I think the best comparison is when mildly toxic material is introduced to the eye, which in most cases seems to have a resolution in 6-8 weeks.

This is, literally, one for the books.

Please keep us informed of your progress and what your doctor prescribes for treatment. With the power of the Internet even our modest forum may help inform doctors and patients.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

thank you for replying

Postby beverly » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 am

Thank you, Glenn, for replying. I had a scheduled visit with my doctor yesterday. I'm officially where I should have been the day after surgery. My right eye is now 20/25 and he says I'm probably 70% healed from the irritation of the ink. Sight and comfort have improved dramatically but still have a way to go. As he told me yesterday, I'm probably experiencing what one would experience if bleach or another similar chemical had splashed in the eye.

Wow, I was hoping there would be another similar case. I guess I should really feel special :) The eye is still a little swollen and is extremely light sensitive, which may need to be treated with another round of prednisone drops in a couple of weeks. I will definitely keep you posted and will share your thoughts about being a "case study" with my surgeon.
beverly

Return to Just Had It