Lasik One Month Ago - Problem with Right Eye

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik One Month Ago - Problem with Right Eye

Postby Greg » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:42 am

I would love to hear from others that may have experienced what I am going through. I had all laser Lasik / wavefront, done mid January. Not an expert on the terms, but my pre-opt correction was in -6 range with minor astigmatism. I was classified as an excellent candidate for Lasik.

So, on to the procedure. The right eye was done first, and went very well, no major discomfort or issues. When my left eye was done, I experienced a tremendous amount of pressure and discomfort, a much different experience than what happened with the right eye just moments before.

My results -- 20/15, very clear vision in my right eye. I was told afterwards that the left eye flap had an abrasion, or some kind of wound, but that it should heal OK within a few days. I did not experience any post-op pain, little or no dry eye symptoms, and stayed on course with the prescribed eye drops. Since day 2, my left eye has experienced blurry vision, ghosting, and my optometrist tried to provide me with some short term level of function with my left eye, with eyeglasses, to no avail, all my left eye really does now is disorient me, if I am indoors or doing any close up work. I understand at my age (mid fifties), I need reading glasses, works great for my right eye for up close or computer work. Does not help with my left eye.

I have been told the left eye correction is 20-40. Sometimes it seems like my left eye focuses OK, for a fraction of a second immediately after I blink. I think I could deal with the 20-40 result, if I could focus my left eye and see reasonably well. I can't. Everything is a blur. The only relief I have for my left eye is to be outdoors and looking far off, at long distances. Everything mid-range and close up is blurred and ghosted.

I went back in yesterday, and the Optahlmologist re-floated the left eye flap. I was told that by stretching and refloating the flap, that my left eye vision should improve. I can give it more healing time, but at this point I am skeptical, I am not seeing any improvement, my left eye vision seems exactly like it was before the flap was refloated.

I need to know what is really wrong, or what course of action can be taken to make my left eye functional again. The doctor mentioned the possibility of a 2nd laser procedure, but if this is flap issue, what good would that do? The doctor is a well respected, published, and experienced Lasik surgeon.

Not panicking, but I am looking for sound advice, maybe someone has had a similar experience?
Greg

Postby Pappy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:46 am

Do you use wetting drops on a consistant basis. I only ask because you state that after you blink you get "good" vision.

From my uneducated guess here I would probably ask your doc about edema, how the epithelium looks and what this abrasion was about.

I'm assuming you just had the flap refloated so you might will likely need a few more weeks of healing to see how it does. The edema can some times take a long time to reduce. You might want to ask him about using Muro 128 5%. It's a dehydrating agent (not in the dry eye way) that should help with the edema (swelling).

The edema can cause temporary astigmatism making your vision blurry and if the epethilium was ablated in any way (scraped off) that will also make your vision blurry as it heals. The epithelium will take 3-8 days to close and up to a year to smooth out but 6 to 8 weeks and it becomes pretty well distributed an even in most people.

I know being patient is hard when your eyes are used 24/7 but your right eye is basically back at start point of healing again.
Pappy

Flap Refloated . . . but no improvement

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:08 pm

Update -- in mid February, my Opthamologist refloated my left eye flap. I did notice a slight improvement over the days following the refloat -- but only slight. The blurry vision continued -- blurry, in that I have a slight ghosting effect, where i see a 2nd faded image just slightly down and left for anything bright, and blurry because I do not have good correction.

Although I continue to see well from my right eye, and am pretty comfortable with my long distance vision, when outdoors, or engaged in sports, I don't have good quality indoor vision. Reading glasses help slightly with my left eye, but its still fuzzy. I have noticed that my 1.25 reading glasses do help with my left eye clarity, for distances from about 6 - 20 feet, but then things are out of balance, since my good right eye only needs the reading glasses for up close work.

At my follow up visit with the Opthamalogist, one week after the re-float, he suggested the next step to resolve my left eye problems is a touch up laser procedure. This leads to questions:

1. At this point, I assume another laser procedure can better correct my left eye. Would the laser once again be programmed using a wavefront exam/analysis?

2. Regarding the ghosting problem, is this really something that a touch-up laser procedure can resolve? Or is it more likely a flap related issue?
Greg

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:31 pm

The ghosting may be related to the flap, but is very likely astigmatism. Astigmatism is able to be resolved by enhancement surgery, however you need to talk with your doctor about what is causing your ghosting and what treatment is recommended.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby littlebig » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:42 pm

I have sort of similar experience, but maybe not exactly the same. The procedure on my left eye was done first, and went very smoothly. It took several tries for my doc to put the suction ring to my right eye, and as a result, it got hurt more and I got a much worse red eye on the right after the surgery.

One month after surgery, both eyes improve to 20/20-2. But right eye is still blurry. I guess it is because of the 0.75 astigmatism developed in the right eye.

Anyone know if the astigmatism tends to get better as the eyes heal? My right eye still has a small red spot from the surgery.
littlebig

Postby griffin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:48 pm

i would also like to know the answer to that...

http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=1665

i have some left over as well
griffin

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:33 am

Astigmatism caused by inflammation is very likely going to change as healing resolves the swelling. After about three months of uneventful healing the cornea should be reasonably stable and it would be reasonable to assume that what you have at that point is pretty much what you are going to have. Some changes can occur later (especially if you have dry eyes), but three months without problems is pretty close to the stable zone.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It