can starbursts be caused by edema and/or dry eyes?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

can starbursts be caused by edema and/or dry eyes?

Postby dreamer1107 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:41 am

Hi--I thought I'd rephrase my earlier post. My main question is does anyone know if starbursts can be caused by edema and/or dry eyes during the healing process? Mine are quite big and I'm almost 3 weeks out (PRK). I'm really scared that it's only the halos and ghosts/double vision that are linked to edema and dry eye.
Thanks so much
:(
dreamer1107

Postby rosecmd » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:02 pm

Well, I had my lasik enhancement surgery almost three weeks ago for induced hyperopia from my first lasik in July 07. I can tell you that for my original surgery, I had bad starbursts & halos, night vision, the whole nine yards. All of those issues completely resolved over time (1-3 months) and by 6 months, my eyes felt normal & fine (just overcorrected and a bit farsighted).

Three weeks out is very early in the overall healing process.

I had some lingering edema, overcorrection, and painful dry eye after the first lasik. Now treated with Restasis, my eyes are dry (left worse than right) after this second surgery, and I have small starbursts this time too. This will all resolve with time. Be vigilent about treating your dry eye with drops, keeping your eyelid margins clean and free of "drop crud" - that's were all the tiny oil glands in your eye are, on the lower eyelid margin. Warm compresses help too. Check with your doc about Restasis. The Dry Eye Zone is the best website I've found that deals with dry eye.
rosecmd

Postby dreamer1107 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:15 am

Thanks so much rosecmd! I've been so worried about the starbursts/halos/ghosts after this enhancement surgery, since this surgery was actually done to (hopefully) eliminate the side effects from the first time around. But it's a huge relief to hear that your starbursts etc resolved with time. And thanks for the dry eye advice--I'll definitely have to look into all of that (and just be vigilant about the drops in the meantime).
Thank you!
dreamer1107

Postby rosecmd » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:09 pm

Sure! Pateince is surely a virtue for us slower lasik healers. I am healing faster this time around. My doc said it's due to less tissue being removed. My issues have been flap related this time, as I had loose, fragile epithelium that just had a hard time healing. It's all slowly coming along - even my left eye is better today (three weeks out). I'm very glad I have 7 months of Restasis under my belt, as my dry eye is not nearly so bad this time.

I find the Genteal gel drops in the tube helpful for night - they spread better than the petroleum/mineral oil based ones...

Good luck!
rosecmd

Return to Just Had It