Had Intralasik 3 days ago...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Intralasik 3 days ago...

Postby fryness69 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:00 pm

I had my surgery done 3 days ago, and i was told by the nurses that i cant touch my face at all for 7 days. She went on to tell us that if we touch out faces, it could dislodge the corneal flap, which must be treated within 16 hours or you have a 90% chance of going blind... This seems to me like an exaggeration, is it? At night, i have to wear these plastic eye shields they gave me, which u have to tape to your face. Upon waking and taking them off, there is alot of sticky residue all over my face. They said i could not wash it off, or wash my face period for the 7 days. How is that possible? How would i be able to go to work, go out in public even, when i have white crust and a jelly like substance all over my eyes and face?? Also, it seems strange to me that i can touch my face enough to tape big plastic shields to my eyes, and take them off every morning, but i cant touch it enough to gently wash my face?? If all it takes to dislodge the flap is rubbing or touching the skin on your face, then wouldnt BLINKING be just as likely to do it too?? So, was the nurse/staff just trying to scare us so we'd be extra careful? I need to wash my face!!!
fryness69

Postby yvonne1961 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:25 pm

HI
I HAD LASIK 45 DAYS AGO AND WAS ONLY REQUIRED TO WEAR THE EYE SHIELDS FOR 24 HRS. AFTER. THEY WERE REMOVED BY THE DOCTOR THE NEXT DAY AND I WAS TOLD TO WASH MY FACE CAREFULLY, I USED A TOWEL AND TRIED NOT TO GET WATER INTO MY EYES WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING BECAUSE OF INFECTION. USED MY DROPS EVERY 2-3 HOURS AND NO MAKEUP FOR 2 WEEKS. I AM FINE AND HAD NO PROBLEMS.

YVONNE
yvonne1961

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:49 pm

I think it is fair to say that the nurse did a good job of scaring everyone and perhaps with a bit more fear than necessary. Dislodging the flap is more difficult than it has been made to appear and even if the flap was removed completely, blindness (black vision) would not occur. You may want to read about Lasik Flap Healing for more details.

I’m not going to tell you to ignore your doctor’s warnings, but my bet is that if you were to telephone the office and ask if you could wash your face, they will say it is fine.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby fryness69 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 am

ok, so i went back for my checkup today, 5 days after having the surgery. I asked about washing my face, and the dr said that i have to wait the full 7 days until i can wash my face, and even then, i cant wash off my eyes for another month. Actually, i have been gently washing my face for like 2 days now, and i had no problems with "flap dislocation", acording to the dr. i am also seeing better than 20/20.
i think thos people need to get it together. i have been told 5 different things from 5 different people, and its kind of disheartening. I am very pleased with my vision, and my only problems have been excessive dryness, but i expected that. I didnt expect the staff to be so... clueless
fryness69

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:04 am

Actually, it seems they have too many clues. 8^)

I'm glad to year of your excellent outcome thus far. Let's hope all stays the same even after you can vigorously scrub your face.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It