regression post-Lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

regression post-Lasik

Postby Cris » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Hello everyone.
I had Lasik zyoptix performed on both eyes on Feb 20 (3 weeks ago). I'm 36. My prescription before was -4.5 / -4.75 and had been stable for many years. Before the procedure I was told that I have a bit of astigmatism and also larger than normal pupils, so I was recommended zyoptix vs. the "classic" lasik. The operation went well and, according to the surgeon, it was a success. The second day I went for the check-up, I was told that I have the 20/20 vision, all was good. Then, in the next couple of days my vision deteriorated abruptly. I called the clinic asking for another check-up. So after 3 or 4 days I had my 2nd check-up and I was told that I only had some swelling under the flaps, and, as soon as that is gone, I would see much better. I was told to continue with the eye drops for a few more days. I did that, then went for another checkup. The swelling was still there, so I was given another type of drops to get rid of it. "This is normal" I was told. After another week, I went again and was told that the swelling is gone, and the only explanation left is that I have experienced a regression. My prescription is now about -0.5 in both eyes, but with astigmatism it adds to about -1.25. So I ordered some prescription glasses to wear for another 2-3 months, especially to be able to drive at night, until another operation - or "touch-up" - will be performed. The guy explained to me that about 20% of people experience complications / regressions within the first 5 years, it's just that mine is more unusual because it happened so quickly, but it's not impossible. Also that the people who experience regressions get back to about max. 25% of their original prescription, hence my -1.25. But the touch-up operation would nail it to the desired 20/20. Currently, waiting for my glasses, I'm having trouble seeing/reading in the distance, especially at night. Also I see halos but I don't care about that. My eyes are dry only in the morning, usually after shower and some drops I'm good to go. My questions, is this normal, is this usual, is there anything else I should do before second operation, or is there still hope my vision will improve? Many thanks, please understand my frustration and let me know what you think, especially if you are an eye doctor.
Thanks,
Cris
Cris

Any advise please?

Postby Cris » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:16 pm

Any comments or advise?
Thanks
Cris

Re: regression post-Lasik

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:32 pm

Cris wrote:My questions, is this normal, is this usual, is there anything else I should do before second operation, or is there still hope my vision will improve?

Inflammation (corneal edema) after Lasik is not exactly "normal", but it is a known complication. It is commonly treated with steroid eye drops.

Your doctor said that your inflammation was underneath the Lasik flap. This is interesting. You said you had a rapid degradation of vision quality. If that degradation was a reduction in visual quality at one distance, such as objects at the horizon, but visual quality at another distance was fine (such as looking at objects close, then your symptoms would be consistent with inflammation due to trauma of surgery. If your vision degradation was the rapid onset of hazy vision at all distances, then you may have had a sterile infiltrate inflammation called Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK).DLK is commonly treated with steroid eye drops as often as every hour.

Lasik induced dry eyes can cause or exacerbate both inflammation and astigmatism. You may want to read our article about Lasik dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Cris » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks LasikExpert,

My vision degradation can best be described as a quick return to nearsightedness. I'm at around -1.25 prescription, also confirmed by wearing my wife's glasses (I can see quite well with hers, and they're that prescription).
DLK sounds scary, but I'm assuming that the lasik clinic would have made that diagnose if it was the case.
I was asked if my vision quality oscilates, as if it gets better or worse depending on certain conditions or on the time of the day. That would be the sign of healing. It's not the case with me, my vision is fairly stable. Sometimes it's a little clearer, for example once in a while the TV captions appear cleared, however I can still see them better with my wife's glasses.
I should be getting my "new" glasses in a couple of days, then I will go for another checkup in a few weeks. At that time we'll probably schedule a repeat operation.
Another detail, I don't seem to need eye drops anymore, maybe only once in the morning. So I don't think I have the dry eye thing.
Cris

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:14 pm

At 1.25 diopters myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) even a fluctuation of 0.50 diopters would probably not be readily apparent.

It is quite possible that you have regressed to -1.25 from your original -4.50ish vision and stabilized there, but that is a bit unusual. Regression of this magnatude does not commonly occur unless you start above about 6.00 diopers myopic.

You certainly will want to get a pair of glasses while you wait for healing and perhaps enhancement surgery. You probably cannot drive legally with -1.25 myopia.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Cris » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks, that sounds right.

With my luck (never won the lottery, etc. :), I think I am the exception to the rule that says that such regression is a bit unusual.

Certainly getting those glasses. Right now I'm a danger to the public especially if driving at night - which I don't (but I do have the waiver card from the clinic that says I've had lasik and I can legally drive !!)
Cris

Postby Cris » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I just got my "temporary" glasses. There's certainly an improvement in my vision with the glasses on, but I will try to wear them only for driving. Now I have to wait for my enhancement surgery. Luckily the zyoptix comes with a 5 year warranty.
Cris

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:33 pm

You will not "hurt" your vision recovery if you wear glasses. Wear them whenever you need them.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It