Intralase 2/1 Left eye deteriorating.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Intralase 2/1 Left eye deteriorating.

Postby jmap2000 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:07 am

I had custom intralase surgery performed on Feb 1. The next morning when I woke up my right eye was seeing perfect and my left good but not as good as my right. . On my first post op on 2/2 they noticed some inflammation in my left eye and advised me to come back on that Monday the 4th for another look. On the 4th of Feb I was told that I had a ripple on the flap of my left eye and that it would need to be re-lifted and smoothed out. I figured that after the ripple was fixed both eyes would now be perfect. On the 4th the surgeon lifted the flapped smoothed it and put a lens on my eye to wear for a few days. On the 6th the lens was removed and I was told the eye would be blurry for a while since it would be really dry. By the next day the left I was okay but still and noticeable difference from the right. Now I was worried. After calling the office I was told just to give it time to heal.
On my next appointment which was the 19th of feb the dr. told me the left eye still needed time to heal but he did notice a small striae on my right eye but its was not effecting my vision. Two days later on the 21st I woke up seeing extremely blurry in my right eye I knew the ripple must have gotten bigger. It turned out that I was right and had to get my right eye lifted and smoothed out have a contact on for a few days. After the contact was removed from the right eye it quickly was back to seeing very crisp 20/20.
On Feb 29 I woke up and both of my eyes were seeing exactly the same I was so happy. The next day me and my wife left for our vacation in Florida. Both eyes were seeing perfect until Wenesday the 5th of March on this day I noticed the left had regressed to where it was previously not as good as the right but unnoticeable when looking out of both eyes. Then starting on Sunday the 9th of March the left eye started to get worse. That day I left work early and see the doctor to make sure I did not have a ripple in my left eye. She told me that both corneas were smooth and that the right was 20/20 and left 20/25. My question is would this be so noticeable? It seems like I have on contact in and one out. If it stays like this will my eyes adjust and use the right eye more so I don’t notice it? Also I understand my vision is going to fluctuate but is it normal for is to get better and then much worse so quickly? I am very worried and already wondering about an enhancement. My next appointment is the 24th of March. Any suggestions?
jmap2000

Fluctuations

Postby jmap2000 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:59 pm

My family and friends are starting to think I'm crazy but this morning 1 day after my initial posting here my left eye is now perfect again. I am happy but also nervous that this is temporary just like last time. I do not understand what can happen over one night of sleep. Now everytime I go to bed I am worried that I will wake up and it will go back to being terrible. Hopefully this will be the last fluctuation in this eye. I
jmap2000

Re: Intralase 2/1 Left eye deteriorating.

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:55 pm

jmap2000 wrote:On my first post op on 2/2 they noticed some inflammation in my left eye and advised me to come back on that Monday the 4th for another look.

Inflammation after surgery is to be expected, but is controlled and treated by the use of medications, primarily steroids eye drops.

jmap2000 wrote:On the 4th of Feb I was told that I had a ripple on the flap of my left eye and that it would need to be re-lifted and smoothed out. I figured that after the ripple was fixed both eyes would now be perfect. On the 4th the surgeon lifted the flapped smoothed it and put a lens on my eye to wear for a few days.

The ripple or wrinkle in the flap is called striae. It sounds like you had macro-striae.

jmap2000 wrote:My question is would this be so noticeable? It seems like I have on contact in and one out.

What you undoubtedly have is enough fluctuation in vision that when you notice the poor vision you refractive error is worse than when you get to your doctor's office and are examined.

Considering that both eyes have had microsurgery, then flap lifts due to striae, and it sounds like you have a bit of Lasik dry eye problems too, fluctuation in vision at this point in the healing process seems reasonable.

jmap2000 wrote:If it stays like this will my eyes adjust and use the right eye more so I don’t notice it?

The brain is very good at working around limitations. Also, we tend to become accustomed to things like this. It is possible that you won't notice a bit of vision being off, but the change will likely be clearly noticable if you put on a pair of glasses that fully correct you.

jmap2000 wrote:Also I understand my vision is going to fluctuate but is it normal for is to get better and then much worse so quickly?

At this point and what your eyes have experienced, rapid vision fluctuation does seem reasonable. This should, however, resolve with treatment and healing. Keep your doctor informed and notify the office if you have a sudden degradation in vision quality that is much worse than normal fluctuation.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It