Any experiences with CLK, DLK, Sands of Sahara

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Any experiences with CLK, DLK, Sands of Sahara

Postby bstoner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:08 am

I had lasik on March 7th and developed DLK in my right eye. My regular eye doctor noticed some signs by the next day and said we would check it again on Monday, we did and he decided to call the surgeon and he asked me to come over for a look. He started me on Steriods every hour and had me back on Tuesday and on Wednesday he lifted my flap to rinse the cells away.

I still cannot see and he tells me I have some scaring on my cornea, I think this is how he described it?? And that it may take weeks to months to clear up but that he was confident that it would clear up.

I would be greatful if anyone with any experience could chime in and tell me what you know or how it was for you if you had it happen to you.

I have also read a little about CLK which sounds more like what happened to me since I had symptoms so quickly but the prognosis for that is worse than for DLK so I hope thats not it.

Thanks,
Ben
bstoner

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Diffuse Lamellar Keratoconus (DLK) does have a rapid onset and your surgeon would likely be able to determine the difference.

Scaring is not good news, but there are many levels of scaring. Hopefully you case will not significantly interfere with vision quality once the treatment is completed.

It can take a long time for scaring to resolve, but there are many indications that it does eventually and even in the worst case scenarios. A patient I know had Lasik many years ago before DLK and its treatment was well understood. She elevated to Stage 4 scaring. It has been about eight years since her surgery and I've seen current images of her corneas. They are virtually clear. She does still have some vision problems and was an extreme case, but the cornea did clear up.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bstoner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Thats good to hear that in most cases the scarring will clear up. Any questions I should ask the surgeon to determine how bad my scarring is? When you say once treatment is completed, what treatment do you mean? They tell me that the DLK is resolved and I will most likely go off the drops on Monday.

This is really discouraging for me, but if I can see some progress it will help greatly. So far it has been a week since they lifted the flap and I dont see any progress and it actually seems a little worse to me but that could be my mind playing tricks on me.
bstoner

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:14 pm

The treatment for DLK is commonly steroid eye drops throughout the day. In more severe cases the flap is lifted so the errant cells can be removed.

It is important for you to distinguish the difference between haze and fuzzy. It is very likely that you have some inflammation issues at the moment. Even a small amount of inflammation can change the refractive error. This can cause fuzzy vision - vision out of focus.

Haze will be there at all distances and at all time. It may get a bit better in very well lighted environments, but it tends to not go away.

I personally had significant corneal haze after my PRK surgery (my fault, nothing to do with MMC) that was remarkable to my doctor, but I did not perceive any real haze in vision. Blurry I had, as I was/am a little nearsighted. Being slightly nearsighted helps me with my reading and computer use.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bstoner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:15 pm

Then I would describe it as haze because it is present no matter the distance. I can make out letters when they are closer but they are still hazy. It does seem to get better with different types of light.

For some reason at dusk I can see better, watching tv at night or looking at a computer screen gives me a headache and dries my eyes out as well.

Thanks for all the help so far!!
bstoner

Postby bstoner » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:55 pm

I just saw my normal eye doctor and he says he wouldnt describe the spot as scaring but more of a hazy spot caused from the white blood cells congregating to the center of my eye and that there is haze on both sides and there is a wavy virtical line going through the center of my eye.
bstoner

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Your doctor's description is (relatively) good news. This sounds like a temporary haze that will resolve with time. Don't expect a sudden change. Even light corneal haze can take weeks to months to clear up completely, however it will probably not interfere with your vision before that.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bstoner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:11 pm

I saw the surgeon yesterday and he says he sees a significant improvement in the haze. I cant really tell a difference yet but its good to hear that he can.

Time will tell!!
bstoner

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:58 pm

It appears that the haze has not yet reduced to the threshold where it will not disrupt vision quality, but the doctor objectively seeing clearing is a very good sign.

Keep in mind that the changes will be very gradual, like watching a clock.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bstoner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks and yeah the waiting sucks pretty bad but I know thats the only thing will heal it is time.
bstoner

Postby bstoner » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Just an update, its been a little over 4 weeks since my surgery.

I still have about half of the hemorrhage in my left eye, doesnt bother me but the doc said it should be gone by now???

The right eye, all the haze is pretty much gone and all I have left is a very slight wrinkle left to flatten out. I am starting to see better and if I focus on things for a few seconds with my right eye they start to come in where I can see them.

I am really excited that things are progressing towards the good!!
bstoner

Postby pabramow » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Hello bstoner :), looks like we have a very similar post-LASIK problem. I have a DLK diagnosed in my right eye, am now one month post op, and still see blurry. I see ghosts which are worse and further apart along horizontal lines, but also appear along vertical lines. Any chances for getting in touch? How's your vision recovery now? I am in Poland, email pj_abr@o2.pl.
pabramow

Postby bstoner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:35 am

Its been a little over a month and I am seeing much better. Did they lift your flap to clense the dead cells away?
bstoner

Postby pabramow » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:51 am

Hi bstoner, no, they did not and this is what worries me. They're from the school that says that lifting a flap and cleansing underneath is unnecessary, but I am getting more and more convinced that this is a mistake. They could still do that, at least for one-two months, and I am now trying to gather all the data which could help decide whether to lift the flap or not. I found an article on Eyeworld Magazine which says basically that cases like you and me are already DLK stage 4, but that it should be fully recoverable - if treated correctly, which includes lifting and repositioning the flap, otherwise flap wrinkles may be become permanent. Are you still seeing any ghosting?? I believe in our cases ghosting is caused by flap wrinkles, which they call striae, and not by overall astigmatism, which is conventional wisdom and another possibility. A thin line (horizontal or vertical), light on a dark background on a computer screen is a good test, I can see 3-5 faint horizontal lines instead of one distinct, and vertical line is just split into two. How's your vision acuity now? I know U.S. acuity scale already.
pabramow

Postby bstoner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:48 pm

I had haze or ghosting at first but that is gone. The doctor says that my wrinkles are moving away from the center of my eye now and that is why I am starting to be able to see.

I cannot see them myself, but he says there are two or three small wavy lines/ wrinkles and once they flatten out over time I should be able to see great.

I am by no means an expert or a doctor but I would think and from what I have read its very important to lift the flap as soon as possible and get it cleaned out so it can begin to heal.
bstoner

Next

Return to Just Had It