Had Lasik 3 1/2 wks ago, 3 questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Lasik 3 1/2 wks ago, 3 questions

Postby GrandpaJohn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:45 am

1- On my follow up visit I saw my patient chart. I noticed that the Lasik doctor had handwritten post-it notes under each eye typed prescription. My eyes were 4.75 and 6.75 from the eye exam (slight astigmatism) but the doctors post-it notes had a lower prescription written for the acutual lasik procedure. The follow up doc said thats because the exam is based on glasses which sit on my nose, since the Lasik is right on the eye the presciption is lowered some. I do know my contacts were a lower presciption than my glasses and that worked fine. I am now worrying that the doctor under corrected my eyes because I was so getting clear distance vision the 2nd week but now my eyes mostly are fuzzy for distance. I was so happy with the results the 2nd week but this fuzziness is depressing. Is what the doctor told me true about lowering the prescription for the distance from the nose to the eye?

2- I wonder because during the 2nd week I had great distance vision in my left eye. My right eye was fuzzy but now my right eye is the best for distance, like musical chairs. Both eyes are great indoors for mid-range but I do need reading glasses for small print as I am 51. But it seems I have lost the clear distance. However both eyes clear up temporarily when I put in eye drops. I wouldnt want to lose my midrange because I work indoors and want to see faces, pc monitor, etc clearly. So if I dont get distance back I wouldnt want to get a touch up and lose my midrange. Its kinda frustrating.. So why do eye drops clear up my vision? Does that mean once the dry eye passes that I will have clear distance as well as mid-range?

3- Outside in the sunlight the street signs are fuzzy untill I get very close. If I squint they mostly clear up and are crisp and clear. What does that mean? Is it the light that is causing fuzziness like the halos I see at night? (Halos are decreasing much) I am hoping that as my eyes heal that maybe its just sensitivity to light that is making distance outside fuzzy. So is it a good sign that squinting makes distance clear and sharp?

Your input would be greatly Appreciated, Thank YOU, GrandpaJohn
GrandpaJohn

Nomogram might explain the answer to my 1st question

Postby GrandpaJohn » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Well I did some google searching and I may have found an answer to my 1st question reguarding the actual lasik calculation not being the same as my glasses presciption. Heres what I found-
"An experienced LASIK surgeon will also adjust the laser's computer calculation to further refine his or her own results. The patient's actual corrective lense prescription is not entered into the laser's computer, but an adjusted prescription based on this adjusted surgical nomogram." Another site said "the doctor will subtract 10% for -1.00 to 12.00 D"
So I imagine the numbers I saw handwritten on the post-it note also reflected some astimatism adjustments. Maybe I should stick to construction work and let the eye doctor do his job. LOL
PS, I never heard of Nomogram before~! I thought that was an animal at the Zoo.
GrandpaJohn

Return to Just Had It