5 weeksLater - should I call the doctor immediately?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

5 weeksLater - should I call the doctor immediately?

Postby blurryeyes » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Hello Everyone

I had Lasik done about 5 weeks ago and I'm still struggling with my vision a bit. I know this is a long process but I am still looking for some help from you all.

I had an astigmatism in both eyes and had distance vision trouble as well. My left eye has shown signs of improvement and I'm generally okay with the results thus far.

My right eye is the trouble eye. It was making a little bit of progress but over the last week it has severely gotten worse. I cannot read a standard clock/radio from 8 feet away. At my 3 week checkup things were better than they are now and the doc said to come back in 2 months. The last week I can feel my right eye straining badly, it almost feels weird. As I type this, I struggle to see the words on my laptop 2 feet in front of me.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused me to backtrack? My eyes do not feel dry but I am using Refresh drops just once or twice a day. I really feel that my right eye is worse now than before surgery.

Thanks in advance
blurryeyes

Postby griffin » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:39 pm

I use my drops every couple of hours if not more. You should really be wetting those eyes down. Your eyes can be dry without you ever feeling it. Def call the doctor though, they are there to take care of you.
griffin

Re: 5 weeksLater - should I call the doctor immediately?

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:57 am

blurryeyes wrote:...should I call the doctor immediately

Such a sudden degradation in vision quality deserves a call to your doctor. Explain the situation and seek their advise about how urgently you need to be examined.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby slider9499 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:07 pm

4/10/08

Back in 2004 I had lasik. Right eye came out perfect, left eye was screwed up. On March 27, 2008 I had custom PRK to correct the left. It has now been two weeks since the surgery and although the vision is better than it was pre-surgery - I still cannot see clearly. It seems as if I am looking through a car windshield in winter when the defroster isn't on. Makes sense?

I am on the standard post-op drops (4x per day), plus Refresh drops to keep my eyes moist. When I wet my eye my vision is almost perfect. When the eye dries the vision clouds back up again.

Like the original poster - my vision also has seemed to get worse than better. But my doctors did tell me that that would be the case. My vision is worse in the morning and slowly, VERY slowly gets slightly better by 9-10pm. For example, at night I can read the little MSNBC or CNN crawl at the bottom of the screen, albeit not perfectly clear, but better than the morning and certainly better than pre-surgery.

My PRK was done on March 27 and I still am unable to read a newspaper, magazine, etc. About 3-4 days post-op I was able to, then it got worse.

About 9 days post-op (April 5th) I had a tremendous pain in the eye that was operated on, much like the pain I experienced when I had my original lasik done back in Feb. 2004. The pain went away the next day. But as of right now, I only see clearly after I put REFESH drops in my eye and that only lasts for 20-30 seconds. Then my vision goes back to what it was before the drops, as if I am looking through a car windshield that has not been defrosted

I am 46 years old, in very good health and believe highly in my eye surgeon and post-op eye professional. Given the above, can someone tell me what is the "expected" or "average" recovery time and when can I expect to see clearly?
slider9499

Postby Rocksville » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 pm

I'm no expert, but when I was researching PRK, I remember reading that cloudiness can last up to 30 days (or more) for that procedure.

Your doc would know better than I though.
Rocksville

Return to Just Had It