Custom PRK on April 4, 2008

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Custom PRK on April 4, 2008

Postby lizard450 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:40 am

It's about 4 days after my procedure (Custom PRK) and I am extremely happy. I have worn glasses or used contacts since I was about 8 years old and am now 25. I don't believe my prescription has changed for at least 10 years and I was between -3.5 and -4.00 in both eyes. I live a very active lifestyle running and doing martial arts. I live in the Philadelphia area and went to the most popular place in the area to have this type of procedure done. My thoughts were these people do this day in and day out on thousands of other patients ... lots of experience. They have their business setup to get people in and get people out. They make their best effort to make the experience comfortable and personalized. Even though they had a few goof ups nothing serious and that wasn't corrected in time. I believe they are geared up mostly for lasik and as I had PRK it didn't fit in their normal workflow. They handle a lot of patients so do your research (which if you're here I think you're doing) and if you're unclear about anything ask without hesitation.

The process began by finding the place I decided to go with. I have met two other co-workers who had the procedure done at the place I went to and they were very happy. I called them and made an appointment the next day to see if I was a candidate or not. I knew a bit about the operation but not as much as I probably should have going in. I could only find information about one lawsuit and decided that wasn't enough to prevent me from going to get the procedure. Talk to your surgeon and the people who work there. The documentation they gave me warned me of all the complications I've heard about on the internet. I appreciated how up front they were about this.

I was originally going to get wavefront custom bladeless (intralase) lasik (the best/most expensive package they offered). During my pre-op exam I mentioned to the surgeon that I was active in martial arts and he recommended I do PRK, but to understand the next week my vision will be blurry and that I will "hate him" the following week and in a month I'll be happy with the results. This was not the case I was happy with the results almost immediately. The reasoning to go with PRK is because the flap made in lasik doesn't heal completely and for active people who might get a finger jammed directly into the eye there could be complications with the flap with that type of accident. So talk to your surgeon about your activities.

I had the procedure done on Friday morning around 9:30 am. I showed up paid had some tests ran. I had trouble keeping my eyes open for the tests and they ran them one test at least 5 times before the procedure (this tells me those tests they ran are important!). I was pretty comfortable until I was in the chair about to have the procedure. Before they gave me some medication, I believe to keep me calm during the procedure. During the procedure all I had to do is look at a blinking yellow light and listen to the doctor's instructions. Listening to the doctor was hard because I felt a lot of pressure on my body and found it very difficult to hear the surgeon. I think this pressure was completely in my head. It took a lot of concentration, but I got through it. Less than a minute for each eye, I couldn't have been in the surgery room for more than 6 or 7 minutes. They put this device in my eye to keep it open (maybe to keep my eye from moving, but I didn't dare test how well it stabilized my eye). They also put in contact lenses as bandages.

After the procedure I met with another doctor and he gave me a care kit with drop instructions, prescriptions for drops, painkillers (which I ended up not needing), sunglasses and goggles. I left wearing the goggles but I could barely open my eyes due to the sensitivity to light. My ride guided me into the car and back to the hotel next door where I was staying. Went to my room and made it as dark as possible and went to sleep as instructed. Later that evening I was able to see sort of and went out for a bit wearing my sunglasses only for about 30 minutes. I kept my eyes closed as much as possible and used the drops as instructed. When I returned I closed my kept my eyes closed and rested my eyes... then went to sleep with my goggles taped to my face.

Saturday morning I went back to the center and had my first post op procedure. Many of the people I saw the day before were also there. It was a very brief visit a doctor told me I was recovering well and I was on my way. I continued to use the drops as instructed and only opened my eyes when absolutely necessary. My eyes were extremely sensitive to light and that night everything was very blurry.

Sunday was uneventful I could use my eyes for a reasonable amount of time but pretty much kept my eyes closed.

Monday I used the computer a little bit rested my eyes. My sensitivity to light seemed to go away but then I realized it was only in my dim apartment and not for outside. I continue to use sunglasses most of the time.

Tuesday is pretty much like Monday and tomorrow I am going in to have the contact bandages removed. I am very excited to know what I'm seeing at. I'm betting better than 20/30.
lizard450

2nd post op bandage contacts removed

Postby lizard450 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:44 am

I had my bandage contacts removed today and my vision instantly became sharper. I am using preservative free eye drops on an hourly basis and the inflammation drops 4 times a day until Friday then it will be 3 times a day.

Question for anyone who would like to answer it. Is it bad to drop the eye drops directly into the eye? By this I mean dropping it on the cornea as compared to inside the lid? I had PRK I would like to know if it is bad, not terrible but not recommended, or good
lizard450

Re: 2nd post op bandage contacts removed

Postby 6502programmer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:01 pm

lizard450 wrote:I had my bandage contacts removed today and my vision instantly became sharper. I am using preservative free eye drops on an hourly basis and the inflammation drops 4 times a day until Friday then it will be 3 times a day.

Question for anyone who would like to answer it. Is it bad to drop the eye drops directly into the eye? By this I mean dropping it on the cornea as compared to inside the lid? I had PRK I would like to know if it is bad, not terrible but not recommended, or good

I never ran into problems. I couldn't make "the pouch" with my lower lid and maneuver the tip of the dropper near it without nicking my cornea, so I just put my eyedrops straight in.

You're lucky about the bandage contacts! Every time I had mine taken out, my vision always got blurry. Still though, at two months post-PRK, I wouldn't change a thing!
6502programmer

thank!

Postby lizard450 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:06 am

Yes, I was really worried about having the contact bandages removed and was really happy that my vision didn't get worse and flipped that everything was clearer.

My night time vision is even improving. A few days ago it was pretty bad, but today I noticed it had improved significantly to the point where I'd be okay if my night time vision didn't improve any. There is definitely room for improvement though.

I am really appreciating not having dry contacts irritating my eyes!!!!!!

And I am using the gel drops at night for my eyes, I think they make it difficult for me to open my eyes in the morning perhaps i'm using too much.
lizard450

nighttime gel drops

Postby catnmus » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:37 pm

I'm using the gel drops at night, too. I've found the following tricks to be helpful. After I put them in, I lay back and blink a lot to spread it around, turning my head a bit as necessary to keep as much in my eyes as possible. Then, after a few minutes, I let the excess come out and wipe very gently with a tissue. Wiping off the excess while it's still wet is much easier than waking up and not being able to open my eyelids!! It still gets crusty, but it's not nearly as bad.
catnmus

Return to Just Had It