Intralase LASIK with Zyoptix, May 9th

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Intralase LASIK with Zyoptix, May 9th

Postby 3lix0r » Fri May 16, 2008 2:07 am

May 9th I went in for intralase LASIK with Zyoptics.

Some background information:
I had a -7/-7,25 prescription, and it's been stable for about 6-7 years now.
I'm 23 years old.
I've been wearing glasses since I was 7.

Day of surgery:
After the surgery I immediately could see better.
During the first day, 2 hours into my nap (prescription sleep aid induced), I was awoken by the pain. I placed 1 drop per eye of the numbing drops and slept for another 4 hours. I woke up and could immediately see my clock which is 10 feet from my bed, I haven't been able to do this for 16 years.

Day 1 after surgery:
I went for my checkup today and I was seeing 20/30 in each eye.
I was seeing much clearer when they tested my eyes one at a time with the (pardon my description) plastic eye shield with holes (this tested my central vision?).
I woke up and took a walk around my house and took in the great clear views.
Seeing closely is a little blurry and my vision was changing from eye to eye.
Indoors I notice that things are not as clear, they look a little hazy/blurry.
At night lights have a large halo.

Day 2 after surgery:
I woke up and am still seeing the alarm clock with no issues.
Driving is not an issue, the road and other drivers are clear.
Indoors I can say that things are not as crisp.
Once outside with natural sunlight everything is crisp.

Day 3,4,5 after surgery:
Waking up is great as I can definitely see distant objects.
I usually get up and look at the computer and that has been blurry since day one.
These are my first days back to work and once I walk into the building things get a little hazy and blurry.
Everyday the computer is blurry and not sharp at all. This concerns me some but I assume this is all part of healing. I am a systems administrator so I have to look at computers constantly.

Observations:
1. When using my eye drops, pred forte and zymar (both 4 times a day). I can see clearly for a few seconds (from other posts, this is possibly because the liquid completes the smooth shape of my eye and is how I should see once I heal). This also happens when I use my Refresh Plus drops.
2. My left eye is sharper than my right eye in doors, outdoors, I can not really see a difference.
3. Observation 1 does not happen when I (and this is not how I would like to view things) tilt my head back and look down and the computer or other objects that are blurry. I don't know why this would be.

I am going for my week checkup tomorrow and will let you know how I make out.

Should I be concerned at all or continue being patient?

Day 6 after surgery:
Woke up and my computer was clearer than the past few days.
Went to work and it was less hazy.
Went for my check up and the Dr. said that I am healing just fine.
He told me that custom LASIK takes longer to heal as there is more to heal. Also that because I am still taking my drops that this also is curbing some of the healing process. He also said that based on my prescription in 4-6 weeks I should be able to take full advantage of my surgery.
Because today is the last day that I am using drops I should begin to see better results through the next week compared to this week.
During the work day I will say that my computer was clearer.

Week 2 after surgery:
This week there has been a large progression in my vision.
Indoors it is no longer as dim as it used to be.
I am able to see the computer easily (1920x1200) from 3 feet away. It's still a little blurry but not as not nearly as bad as the first week.
My vision is starting to become sharper. I can see this with almost everything I look at.
I have been putting the refresh drops in my eyes almost every hour.
I have noticed now that my right eye is sharper than my left eye, but as we know this may change.
I have another appointment in a week so I will update then.

Week 3 after surgery:
The doctor says I am progressing well, he was slightly concerned that I may still have some astigmatism in my left eye, but he said it's still to early to tell and that it should clear up. I have a follow up in 1 month. At which point he said he will have a good idea of where I am because it's still to early.

I can tell my vision keeps getting better.
Indoors is still a little dimmer than outdoors but it seems to be coming together and I can barely tell.
The computer screen has cleared substantially and I can see it rather well now.
My right eye is quite sharp, my left eye is still a little blurry. I am not worried right now because once I put my drops in my vision is clear/sharp again for a few seconds. So to me this means I just have more healing time.
I am still putting drops in my eyes and my doctor said to be aggressive about it. I can tell that my eyes are dry in the morning, but throughout the day they don't seem to get very dry. I still try to put in the drops every hour.
On a side note, I had a cold for about a week which I blame my left eye not healing as quick as my right :wink:
So far I am rather pleased, it would be nice if it healed faster but I have been wearing glasses/contacts for 16 years so several months doesn't bother me much.

LasikExpert,
Should I be concerned about my left eye being blurry still although my right isn't?
Also can you explain why when I tilt my head back and look right above my cheek that I have no halos and everything is clear on both eyes?
Lastly, when is it normally safe to rub your eyes? A month, 2? Also should I be concerned with the flap moving now on a rollercoaster 3 weeks out?

Week 4 after surgery:
This is almost about the same as week 3.
My right eye is sharp. It's not perfect yet, but I think it may be in the future. I am rather happy with my right eye as it stands now, so if it gets better, I am all smiles. :)
My left eye on the other hand is still blurry. What I am seeing is that if I compare the same image between left and right, my left seems to give it double vision almost for anything greater than 3 feet. I can see that if I am looking at text on a white background it is as if the white background overlays on some of the text and makes it almost dull. I have tested this with many objects and it's the same. I am hoping this heals and I will not need a correction.
Does anyone have experience with this?

I have been trying to find ways to test my vision and the halos and what I have done is using the simple mspaint program and create an all black background and put white shapes on it.
This shows me how I am seeing halos as well as the interesting vision from my left eye.

I will be away at a conference this week and we'll see what happens when I get back.

Week 5 after surgery:
This is very similar to week 4.
My right eye is still seeing just fine. :)
My left eye however still seems to be the same, it's still blurry. :(
This is concerning me a little now, that 5 weeks have past. I'm trying to hang in there.
One of the things that I have noticed is that using the mspaint picture that I created I can tell that the halos and ghosting have merged slightly which overtime I'm sure will help with my left eye.

Does anyone have any information or that can help my left eye?
Should I be concerned or just be patient.

Week 6 and 7 after surgery:
There is almost little change to week 5
My right eye is still seeing just fine, minus the halos/starbursts which aren't too bad. There is a little double vision that is really only apparent with lights from a distance.
My left eye however still seems to be the same, it's still blurry. :(
I just had a check up and my optometrist is sending me back to the surgeon as he said the astigmatism on my left is still hanging on.

In the morning when I get up I've noticed that I left eye is rather clear and I can see rather well about 20/30 minutes later it's not as sharp.
I go to the surgeon on the 7th of July so I'll see what he has to say then.

Week 8 and 9 after surgery:
I went back to the surgeon and they told me that the symptoms that I have are mostly related to dry eyes. He said that I have a few dry spots on my eyes and that my halos should subside by the 6 month mark, which is usually when the nerves have reattached to the flaps and can properly tell the body to produce tears.

He told me to put drops in about 4 times a day and just be patient.
All this was comforting so I am just going to wait it out.

I have seem the "overlay" also subside especially in my left eye, however, it is still not at clear as my right.

Weeks 14-19 after surgery:
I've been placing the drops in each day as directed still. I do notice that my eyes are producing tears on their own, however, they still tend to get dry when outside or working on the computer for several hours.

I still have the ghosting in both eyes, my doctor says he still sees some astigmatism and a "relief cut" may need to be done rather than an enhancement. I'm not sure what that is though.
I have done the pin hole test as described here: http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik-ghosting.htm and this does resolve my problems.

I am now noticing halos and starbursts more. I will say they don't really bother me much, but with the double vision they are much more prominent.

Currently my only concern is the double vision, I have an appointment with my doctor on Oct 24 so I will see what he says then. At that point I will be about 2 weeks from the 6 month mark.

I hope this helps some of you. I will keep you updated as time goes on.

Cheers
Last edited by 3lix0r on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
3lix0r

Postby chrissy » Sat May 17, 2008 9:02 pm

thanks for your story, and thanks for your response to my question re: what to expect. It is comforting to know that someone with a comparable prescription was able to get the lasik and is having good results. How thick were your corneas?
also, asklasikdocs.com is a WONDERFULresource to look at. actual lasik mds answer your posts, and usually within the same day!
chrissy

Postby 3lix0r » Mon May 19, 2008 12:11 pm

chrissy wrote:thanks for your story, and thanks for your response to my question re: what to expect. It is comforting to know that someone with a comparable prescription was able to get the lasik and is having good results. How thick were your corneas?
also, asklasikdocs.com is a WONDERFULresource to look at. actual lasik mds answer your posts, and usually within the same day!

I want to say they were in the 380 range.
If I remember correctly the average is 350ish.

Cheers
3lix0r

350?????

Postby salieeee » Wed May 28, 2008 4:54 am

When my corneal thickness was 480ish i was told my corneas were borderline so i was wondering how 350 is average. Isn't that a very thin cornea? Please educate me on this, i'm confused. thanks.
salieeee

Re: 350?????

Postby 3lix0r » Wed May 28, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Salieeee,

Like I said I wasn't sure about the numbers. I know I was above the average so maybe it was 550 is the average and 580 was my thickness.

Cheers

salieeee wrote:When my corneal thickness was 480ish i was told my corneas were borderline so i was wondering how 350 is average. Isn't that a very thin cornea? Please educate me on this, i'm confused. thanks.
3lix0r

a few more questions....

Postby salieeee » Wed May 28, 2008 3:22 pm

Was your intralase surgery performed with the zyoptix 100 excimer laser? I will be going for intralase surgery with the z100 laser with the wavefront ablation and aberrometry. they call it the zyoptix tissue saving procedure. Was this the procedure you had? Also were your eyes dilated for the procedure? I think some lasers work on an undilated pupil. I forgot to ask that in my pre-op. I'm more than a little nervous about my impending surgery that's on friday. thanks.
salieeee

Re: a few more questions....

Postby 3lix0r » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi Salieeee,

I don't know the model number but I do know it was a excimer laser.
I was not dilated for my procedure. I would hold tight, it's really a quick operation, you just need to be patient after, and things will come together.

Good luck!!

salieeee wrote:Was your intralase surgery performed with the zyoptix 100 excimer laser? I will be going for intralase surgery with the z100 laser with the wavefront ablation and aberrometry. they call it the zyoptix tissue saving procedure. Was this the procedure you had? Also were your eyes dilated for the procedure? I think some lasers work on an undilated pupil. I forgot to ask that in my pre-op. I'm more than a little nervous about my impending surgery that's on friday. thanks.
3lix0r

Postby Tempted » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:03 am

The instructions that they gave me the day of the surgery say not to rub your eyes for 1 month, but the longer the better I guess. I try to keep that in mind. I've been good so far, but sometimes you just don't think about it.
Tempted

Postby 3lix0r » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:39 am

Hi Glenn,

Can you answer these questions if you can?

Should I be concerned about my left eye being blurry still although my right isn't? In addition to this, I've been doing some testing by covering one eye then the other and noticing the differences and it seems that my right eye is brighter and see blacker blacks and whiter whites, is this normal? I just want to make sure I catch anything that isn't right early on.
Also can you explain why when I tilt my head back and look right above my cheek that I have no halos and everything is clear on both eyes?
Lastly, when is it normally safe to rub your eyes? A month, 2? Also should I be concerned with the flap moving now on a roller coaster 3 weeks out?

Thanks
3lix0r

Postby Olof_LASEK_Sweden » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:29 pm

While waiting for Glenn: This may not help but I can tell you that you are inside the "worry period" weeks 1-3 just like I was. It is too early to worry. You had LASIK which is supposed to heal faster for some, but for some it doesn't. You also came from a high prescription.

It didn't really help me to just read that it was to early to worry. I still did. It's our vision after all so one cannot help but to worry and obsess.
Olof_LASEK_Sweden

Re: Intralase LASIK with Zyoptix, May 9th

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:19 pm

3lix0r wrote:Should I be concerned about my left eye being blurry still although my right isn't?

It is very common for one eye to have a different recovery than the other. You had very high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision and you are still in the early stages of healing.

3lix0r wrote:Also can you explain why when I tilt my head back and look right above my cheek that I have no halos and everything is clear on both eyes?

The angle of the light entering your eye is changed by the angle and positioning of your head and eyes. You are essentially looking at the object through a portion of your eye that has better quality vision.

3lix0r wrote:Lastly, when is it normally safe to rub your eyes? A month, 2? Also should I be concerned with the flap moving now on a rollercoaster 3 weeks out?

It is safe when, and only when, your doctor says it is safe. Every person heals differently and while it may be okay for one person to carefully rub the eyes at three weeks postop, another person may not be safe at eight weeks postop.

As a general rule you no one should vigorously rub their eyes. This can release free radicals into the cornea and actually age the eye.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby 3lix0r » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Olof_LASEK_Sweden wrote:While waiting for Glenn: This may not help but I can tell you that you are inside the "worry period" weeks 1-3 just like I was. It is too early to worry. You had LASIK which is supposed to heal faster for some, but for some it doesn't. You also came from a high prescription.

It didn't really help me to just read that it was to early to worry. I still did. It's our vision after all so one cannot help but to worry and obsess.

Thanks Olof, I just get worried over time. I appreciate all the good words :)

Thanks
3lix0r

Re: Intralase LASIK with Zyoptix, May 9th

Postby 3lix0r » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:10 pm

LasikExpert wrote:
3lix0r wrote:Should I be concerned about my left eye being blurry still although my right isn't?

It is very common for one eye to have a different recovery than the other. You had very high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision and you are still in the early stages of healing.

As a general rule you no one should vigorously rub their eyes. This can release free radicals into the cornea and actually age the eye.

Thanks Glenn,

I do my very best not to rub my eyes, every once and a while I get an itch at do my best to not rub it but I lightly just move my eye lid over it to simulate rubbing.

As for my eyes healing, today would mark the end of week 4. I just get worried as time moves on and see little progress. I'm hanging and it's people like those in this forum with knowledge that will help get my through this wait.

Thanks again to all
3lix0r

Postby 3lix0r » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:52 pm

Hi All,

You can see my update above.

I still have some ghosting, and plan on going for another scan after 6 months to allow at least that time to see if it resolves itself. I assume by this time I would have seen more improvements.

I did want to ask if Glenn or anyone else knows what "relief cut" is?
My eye doctor mentioned that it may be something they can do instead of an enhancement for what may be the astigmatism/
My eye doctor said it's a slit that relieves pressure but I'm not sure how that would really work.

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you,
3lix0r

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:33 pm

3lix0r wrote:I did want to ask if Glenn or anyone else knows what "relief cut" is?

Astigmatic keratotomy (AK) is the process of making an incision in the cornea that causes internal pressures at the location of the incision to relax, thereby changing the overall shape of the cornea. AK is commonly used to resolve astigmatism, which is when the cornea is not spherical like the top of a ball, but is elliptical like the back of a spoon. AK would attempt to blunt the "tip of the spoon" and reduce astigmatism.

A "relief cut" is a patient friendly euphemism for AK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Next

Return to Just Had It