Patience after 1 week custom lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Patience after 1 week custom lasik

Postby johnmcc » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:25 am

I had custon lasik one week ago and I'm really disappointed by the results so far. I was councelled that there would be fluctuations for a while but that I would be able to work. I'm finding reading, computer, and paperwork quite a challenge.

I talked to my Dr. and he said he would not be expecting me to see well yet. And reading the posts and other online info I see now that patience really is a virtue.

I have/had more of an astigmatism than nearsightedness. Sorry I don't know my #'s right now. Dr. said I might need an enhancement when he saw my astigmatism.

So, my question right now is, when can I get glassess to help with work and do they effect the healing process. My eyes feel fine but the accuracy and crispness is poor. One eye seems nearsighted and one seems farsighted.

How do some folks wake up from their nap and "see" while those of us posting here are nervously waiting 6 months??? I have to say I'm regretting it but trying to have hope.

Any info and support would be greatly appreciated at this time!

take care all,

john in oregon
johnmcc

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:28 pm

You would not put in someone else’s contact lenses and expect to see well. Neither can your expectations for Lasik recovery be based upon the recovery of another. You can get a general idea what to expect, but specifics are as unique as individual eyes. Lasik is often more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle.

Very high astigmatism is often difficult to resolve during the initial Lasik surgery. Astigmatism is when the cornea is not shaped like the top of a ball, but is shaped like the back of a spoon. The “tip” of the spoon bends some light off the center focus and this causes blur or even a second ghost image. Sculpting away the tip of the spoon can be difficult. You may want to read Lasik Astigmatism Correction.

People with very high refractive error often experience regression somewhat, back toward the original error. Knowing that this regression will occur, some doctors will deliberately overcorrect the patient and then regression will bring them back to the desired refraction. It takes regression several weeks to a few months to fully occur. You may at this moment be overcorrected to accommodate your high refractive error. You may want to read about Lasik Overcorrection for Regression.

It appears that your doctor recognized the limitations of his ability to correct all of your refractive error with one surgery and acknowledged that you may need a second enhancement surgery. That enhancement surgery will not be appropriate until regression has occurred and your eyes have settled down. Our article on Lasik Enhancement Surgery may be helpful.

If your situation is as described, you could wear glasses that would correct your residual refractive error immediately. The problem is that your eyes will be changing so fast that within a very short time those glasses may not be the correct power anymore. Ask your doctor if contact lenses would be appropriate during this healing period, or find an optical shop that will change the lenses for free or at a reduced cost for the first 3-6 months.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It