i am seeing in Hi-Def...My fantastic lasik (PRK) story...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

i am seeing in Hi-Def...My fantastic lasik (PRK) story...

Postby awuku28 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:24 pm

Ok so you can tell I am obviously excited.
About me: I am 29 year old male IT guy and I have been wearing glasses since I was 12.
My prescription before lasik PRK: Contacts: -8.00 R, -11.75 L. Glasses: - 9.00 R, -12.75

Short version:
I can now see 20/15 in both eyes. I did exactly what the doctor told me to do. Well almost. I stopped taking that 3/2/1 a day drops (FML) in the middle of 2nd month and my eyes started to swell pretty bad. Those drops made my eyes hazy but in the long run it’s good for you. I don’t have any halos or stardust or whatever at night.
My surgery was June 5th 2008. I was seeing 100-20 in the left eye and 60-20 in the right eye after 4 days. Dr said my epithelium was healing nicely and to be patient. After 10 days I was seeing 30 – 20 in my left and 40-20 in my right. Surprising reversal I thought because my left eyes were doing better than the left. So days before my 1 month visit I experienced what so many people here complained about – dry eyes. I found that I could see perfectly everytime I would use my moisturizing drops for maybe 20 seconds…It was rather freaky and exciting to see that clear for a moment but my fear was that it was never going to be permanent. So at my first month visit I told my doctor and he told me to chill and not to panic. I was seeing almost 20/20 or almost better especially in my right eye. That was over a month ago. I am now getting ready for my 3 month exam and I know for a fact that I have surpassed 20/20 in both eyes. I am seeing in hi-def and the details are amazing. I keep telling strangers that I see and most people have been polite to me. I really can believe it. I went in only hopping I would reduce my need for glasses but I haven’t even seen my glasses or contacts since the day of my surgery. Couldn’t tell you where they are to be honest. I don’t have anymore dryness and its been 11 weeks I think. I am still using the FML once a day now and I plan to send my doctor some flowers after the 3 month check up.

Longer version:
I was about to renew my yearly prescriptions as usual when I asked my regular doctor(6 years) if Lasik technology had caught up with my horrible sight yet. I had tried 2 years ago but the doctor I went to see said my cornea wasn’t thick enough. So I waited and waited and slowly watched my eyes get worst. This time my regular doctor told me of this guy he knew who by all accounts was rather awesome. I wasn’t scared because with my prescription I didn’t really care what I ended up with. You have to understand, my glasses were so thick I was embarrassed to be seen in them. Contacts were fine but I had to touch my eye almost 10 times a day to adjust and readjust them.

Pre- Test: So I went to see the doctor he recommended. They put me through the usual tests. I was rather unenthusiastic because I was 100% they were going to tell me my sight was too bad. I didn’t know anybody who had, had lasik with my kind of prescription. Well so the lady who does the pre-tests sends the results to the doctor (I call him GOD by the way) and he comes in and tells me he wouldn’t recommend regular lasik but PRK. You guessed it, my cornea wasn’t thick enough. I had read up enough on both procedures to know what he was talking about. So I ask him what my chances are of getting around without glasses after the procedure. He tells me every patient is different but based on my pre-tests he thinks I would be happy. Had I heard this 2 or 3 years ago I would have probably bounced but at 29 I just felt like you know what, am not going to live the next half of my life worrying about torics and lense solutions. So I obliged and I find myself quickly whisked to another room to go over the payments. I thin moment am thinking are these blocks just trying to get my $3900? But then I look at the location (the facility is in the richest part of Atlanta – very plush), the reviews, my doctors wholehearted recommendation and am like whatever. My regular doctor had chosen him because of the relatively smaller size of his facility and the personal service him and his staff offered. I made my appointment about 10 days later. Why wait?

Surgery: Let’s cut to the chase. Day of surgery I wasn’t nervous at all. If anything my hope/goal was to reduce my prescription and eliminate my horrible astigmatism. So we went over the payments and the post surgery to-dos and don’ts. I went through some more checks and then they gave me a chill out pill. I still wasn’t really nervous or anything. In fact, I was grinning the whole time. I felt like I had nothing to lose. So I lay under this alien looking machine and the doctor and his nurse start talking about Obama and Hilary like I am not even there…lol...He scrapes my epithelium and zaps my right eye for 25-30 seconds…I could smell burning flesh…He watches my eyes off and then places some of the scraped tissue back on my eye. I don’t know if that was the temporary contacts or not. My left eye then gets zapped for almost 1 minute…All this time doctor and nurse make comments about the Democratic Party elections going on. I was stiff as a corpse through out the whole thing. I wasn’t scared but I didn’t want the laser to over zap or under zap…During the zapping of the left eye though he took hold of my head and it felt like he was manually angling my head for the laser to properly zap me. And like that, it was over. Whole thing took about 5 minutes…Then he did some further check ups, made sure I had everything I needed for recovery and sent me on my way. I could see slightly well than before but not enough to drive or anything. Now the doctor had cautioned me to be very patient since PRK could take 3 months for people to fully gauge success but then again he expected me to be driving within 15 days but that came without any promises.

Recovery: First 4 day I did what I was told. I suggest you guys do the same. I got home, slept and applied numbing drops. This went on for 4 days straight. I didn’t attempt to get on the computer or even watch television. I just tuned in to some classical music and chilled. It could get very painful if you don’t use the numbing drops. I started picking points of reference to use as my own personal tests. For example, I started trying to read my neighbors’ address box from bedroom window and then phone number on the garbage containers in the back yard. They weren’t lying when they said recovery was slow. Each day you gain about 2% more vision. At least it felt like that in my case. I was able to drive to work and my second dr’s visit after 10 days. Didn’t need glasses to drive but I could barely see. I could read stuff of my computer screen but it hard to be close. I started getting really excited after about 6 weeks. I got up one afternoon to go to the gym and I could believe my eyes…the entire sub-division looked like it had been transformed…I could see everything…WoW nelly!!!...Right there I made an observation: taking little naps somehow made me see tremendously better. I suggest you put some moisturizing drops in your eyes before your naps. That combination was priceless – a nap and some drops…Anyway, so I can see very well now with or without drops. If you do PRK, please be patient. Week 9 and 10 I will say its when I was totally convinced. I started seeing things in real hi-def…

Ps: If you live in the Atlanta area send me an email and I will give you my doctors details. I don’t think is allowed in the threads. My surgeon was really good and his entire stuff was awesome. I thought it weird that he left the parking lot (in a sweet Mercedes) before I left….In a hurry to go play golf I thought…Upon hindsight (which is now 20/15 literally) he deserved it. Ignore my grammar errors. English is not my first language. 
awuku28

Postby awuku28 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:26 pm

By the way, I will like to thank everybody who contributes and shares their stories...It helped me stay calm around week 5 when I felt like I was stuck with slightly blurry vision. Once the dryness cleared I could see.
awuku28

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:48 am

Thanks for the detailed report. Your information will greatly help others who visit here.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby awuku28 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:22 pm

:( My sight is getting blurry. It feels spotty and its even worst at night...very bad...I went back to the docter about 3 weeks ago and he put me back on FML...My sight started deteriorating 3 weeks after I went off the FML so I guess thats why he put mew back on...At this point I dont know who to trust. BOth my doctors dont seem to know exactly what is going on...I am now maybe -1.00 in both eyes. The Dr who did the surgery dosent want to do an enhancement because he thinks my pescription was too heavy in the first place: -12 in left -8 in right...All in all I am very happy that I dont need contacts oe glasses for now...Its day to day now...sometimes I see pretty good and other days I cant even bear to watch tv...

I am also getting this funny flutter in my eye lids...It dosent feel itchy or anything but rather like a butterflies wings every now and then...Its begining to feel like a slight throb :(Maybe I need more sleep because I have been stuck in front of the computer 90% of my time this past week or so....

My question is what are the long term hazards of using FML? I dont think using it again for 3 month is a good idea. Its been 5-6 months since my surgery...i think I would rather use a regular dry eye drops without preservatives...any good brands?
awuku28

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:26 pm

The flutter is probably a reaction to the medications. Report it to your doctor, but don't be surprised if they say to not worry about it.

FML is a steroid and the primary concern of ocular steroids is an increase of intraocular pressure (IOP) - pressure inside the eye. This can be monitored with appropriate response as required.

You are undoubtedly regressing, which is to be expected, and the regression is likely to be a bit irregular at first. You were a very, very high myope (nearsighted, shortsighted) before surgery, so regression would be reasonable.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It