concerned about retreatment - can they right the wrongs ?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

concerned about retreatment - can they right the wrongs ?

Postby Ripley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi still having probs with me left eye. if feels so much weaker in vision and strength than my right one.
still struggling with the indifference between the eyes.
Its been 2 and a half months now since treatment and now my eyes have regressed to -1.00 in my right eye and -1.50 in my left with the added bonus of an astigmatism. cant focus in and out properly with the left eye.
have been given glasses for now as they are going to retreat me after christmas.
the saying "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." has never seemed so apt. the way i was told there is a 86% chance of success sounded so good at the time. and my results are still considered to be a sucess. so their definition of success differs dramatically to my expectations. i'm now told with the vision i have the retreatment has a 96% success rate. what does this actually mean?
I wanna know the sucess rate of perfect vision.
my eyes still feel weak, my left eye especially. will retreatment weaken them further ? i've probably got it in me to go through all this just one more time. the thought of doing it again seems pretty traumatic. if i go ahead and get me eyes retreated what happens if they regress again ? and most importantly can they even my eyes out? is it possible to get even vision back ? i feel like permanent damage has been done to my vision, even if they cant stop regression can they at least give me even eyes. its the uneveness thats really baked my head the last couple of months, it just feels horrible. its my main concern, where my eyes feel skewed can they match them back up again? i mean with precision. is it possible to have exactly the same vision out of both eyes now ?
Ripley

same here

Postby vj » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:20 pm

hi ripley,
if you remember me, I had posted replies in your earlier mails too...
I am 3 months post op and have regresses/undercorrected...
current prescription (R) -1.00 (L) -.5....I am also going enhancement next month in Jan but only for the right eye. Doc says -.5 is not worth the risk, but he will surely correct the right eye. I think he is very right and can probably manage with 0.5... in fact had the prescription in my right eye been .5 instead of -1, I would have definitely side lined touch up. But right now its very noticable.
Are you getting enhcmt. done for both eyes at the same time?
Keep me posted of your proceedings.
vj

Re: concerned about retreatment - can they right the wrongs

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:12 pm

Ripley wrote: i'm now told with the vision i have the retreatment has a 96% success rate. what does this actually mean?

You need to ask your doctor, but I assume that they mean that of 100 people in your exact situation, 96 would achieve the goal.

Ripley wrote:I wanna know the sucess rate of perfect vision.

You may want to look at the USAEyes CORE patient survey, but this survey has a very specific limitation - it is not about you. The USAEyes CORE patient survey includes patients with a wide range of needed vision correction. It is an excellent generalization, but you can only extrapolate what it means to your circumstances.

Ripley wrote:my eyes still feel weak, my left eye especially. will retreatment weaken them further

With full correction glasses you should find little or no difference. If by "strength" of your eyes you mean a feeling that your eyes are working harder than normal, you may want to read about Lasik eye strain.

Ripley wrote:if i go ahead and get me eyes retreated what happens if they regress again ?

You can have additional enhancement surgery as long as your eyes are healthy and your corneas have enough thickness, which can be measured in advance.

Ripley wrote:and most importantly can they even my eyes out?

That would undoubtedly be the target.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It