PRK after RK

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PRK after RK

Postby PRKAFTERRK » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:06 am

I just had PRK three days ago on my left eye. Next week I'll have the right eye done. First two days my vision was terribly blurry but today it's much clearer. :lol: Get the contact bandage off tomorrow. Kind of sad to see it go as alot of folks say that the vision regesses and it's uncomfortable again... Not looking forward to that!

Anyway, I had RK about 12 years ago (I'm 49 now). My reading vision now is awful and I use reading glasses, but my distance vision has gone downhill too and was using drugstore glasses for that too. Has anyone else had both of these procedures too? How is your outcome?
PRKAFTERRK

Bandage Off - 4th day

Postby PRKAFTERRK » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Had the contact bandage removed. My eye was feeling pretty good on day 3. Now it's back to feeling like an eyelash is in my eye, but not terribly irritating. Vision is not as clear. On the eye test today this eye was 20/25 before contact was removed which I am very happy about. This was my eye with an astigmatism. So I'm very hopeful about it and the result I should get with my more normal right eye next week.
PRKAFTERRK

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:28 pm

Please keep us informed of your progress. It will be very valuable for others.

Some patients who had RK, especially those with more than eight incisions, tend to shift toward hyperopia (farsighted) vision. After age 40 most people become presbyopic, which means that you are less able to see objects near. The combination of hyperopia and presbyopia can provide poor vision at all distances.

It is possible that your vision after PRK will again regress, but it is likely your surgeon targeted you to be just a little bit myopic (nearsighted) to allow for a bit of regression. Being a bit nearsighted will also help with your ability to see object near and can reduce your need for reading glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

6 days post PRK

Postby PRKAFTERRK » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Had my second eye (right) done 6 days ago. Much different experience from my left eye. Very painful and watery first five days. Very blurry distance vision since day 2 with headaches. Near vision is pretty good. Back tomorrow for 7 day check. So glad I had the eyes done separately. Left eye has gone backward a bit since the first week after surgery.

Thanks for your input and this site. I would have lost my mind if I hadn't read about everyone else's experiences. It keeps me optimistic that this will all turn around eventually. My doctor was one primary FDA trial doctors and a teacher of other doctors, so I believe I am in very good hands. Taking it day by day.
PRKAFTERRK

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Thank you for the kind words.

I personally had PRK, upon advice of my doctor and my own preference for surface ablation. I had a slooooow recovery, but due to my own acts. My surgeon provided eye drop anesthetic and warned me not to use it very often. I overused it and toxified my epithelium, causing haze, inflammation, and a slow recovery. I did, however, recovery fully.

I totally understand your anxiety. Even though I knew that I'd recover and was well aware of my circumstances, it was really freaky.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

You are so great!

Postby PRKAFTERRK » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:30 am

I have avoided the numbing drops because I read HERE that they slow down the healing progress. First 2 days only. I just want to SEE! But with the irritation and blurriness, I've been an irritable pain in the butt. I've been really good about the all the drops, but since my eyes are on different schedules, I think I messed up today. Did I just put in the antibiotic or the steroid ?.. didn't put away the one I just used...?

Have you ever head of anyone that had both the RK and PRK?
PRKAFTERRK

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:00 am

I have seen presentations at medical conventions about PRK after RK, with good results.

I delegated the eye drop regimen to my wonderful wife, as I could not see the bottles (or the clock) well enough.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: You are so great!

Postby kurtbf » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:00 am

PRKAFTERRK wrote:I have avoided the numbing drops because I read HERE that they slow down the healing progress. First 2 days only. I just want to SEE! But with the irritation and blurriness, I've been an irritable pain in the butt. I've been really good about the all the drops, but since my eyes are on different schedules, I think I messed up today. Did I just put in the antibiotic or the steroid ?.. didn't put away the one I just used...?

Have you ever head of anyone that had both the RK and PRK?

Thank you for posting about your experience! I'm guessing there are a number of people (myself included) who have had RK with less than optimal results, who are now contemplating PRK and who are extremely interested in hearing how your recovery from surgery and vision progresses. (Pros/cons, personal satisfaction with procedure, best uncorrected visual accuity, etc...)

Please, please, keep us updated.
kurtbf

2 months post

Postby PRKAFTERRK » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm

It's almost 2 months since my PRK surgery. Vision is excellent most of the time. Less good later in the day, especially after alot of computer use. I can not only see distance, but close up too. Dr. said I would probably still need glasses for reading, but I don't! Only problem is dryness and itchiness (allergies probably). I want to rub my eyes like the old days, and still do to some degree, but not with the ferocity I once enjoyed! I am still using Refesh Plus 4 to 5 times a day and it helps.

Very happy I had PRK done, but the first couple of weeks were kind of rough. For me, having one eye done at a time was really the best option, as vision was very sketchy for the first 3 weeks.

I do still see starbursts at night while driving which was expected since I had the RK surgery previously, but night driving is now pretty good aside from that. I also feel like everyone is driving with their "brights" on. I flash them if they do or don't - just in case! Ha
PRKAFTERRK

Re: 2 months post

Postby kurtbf » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 am

PRKAFTERRK wrote:It's almost 2 months since my PRK surgery. Vision is excellent most of the time. Less good later in the day, especially after alot of computer use. I can not only see distance, but close up too. Dr. said I would probably still need glasses for reading, but I don't! Only problem is dryness and itchiness (allergies probably). I want to rub my eyes like the old days, and still do to some degree, but not with the ferocity I once enjoyed! I am still using Refesh Plus 4 to 5 times a day and it helps.

Very happy I had PRK done, but the first couple of weeks were kind of rough. For me, having one eye done at a time was really the best option, as vision was very sketchy for the first 3 weeks.

I do still see starbursts at night while driving which was expected since I had the RK surgery previously, but night driving is now pretty good aside from that. I also feel like everyone is driving with their "brights" on. I flash them if they do or don't - just in case! Ha

Thank you for the update!! It's good to hear how your eyes are progressing.

I understand that the dry eye symptom improves over time so your case probably isn't worrisome. I read an old study (around 2001) which said dry eyes happen in 40-50% of the surgeries. I'm not sure if that statistic has improved since then.

Please continue to keep us updated. I'm considering going for an evaluation in a few months. There's a doctor in my area who did 20 previous PRK/Lasik surgeries over old RK's with all 20/25 or better.
kurtbf

My update see this link:

Postby hyper_rk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:59 pm

hyper_rk

PRK after RK -

Postby Steve in Scottsdale » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:10 pm

I had a bi-lateral Radial Keratotomy done in 1983 in Eugene, Oregon and have enjoyed corrective free vision for the first 20 years post-operative, however, I have been wearing bi-focals for the last 8 years for reading and distance vision. Before I had my RK, my correction in both eyes was -3.25 with virtually no astigmatism. I have 12 incisions in my left eye and 8 in my right.

Over the last 8 or so years, I have noticed a huge swing in my vision from morning to night. In the morning I am very farsighted and late in the afternoon or early evening a little myopic. I also developed a significant astigmatism in my left eye (+2.25) making night driving very difficult. Late last year I did some research on PRK after RK and decided to have the custom Wavefront PRK done on my left eye on January 28, 2011. I am 7 months postop and can squeeze out a weak 20/20 on the eye chart at 400 pm in the afternoon. My auto-refraction measurement result was -.75 X +.75. I see much better after the PRK than before but seem to have even a greater variation in my visual acuity during the day.

I had the custom Wavefront PRK done on my right eye on June 24, 2011 and am now about 7 weeks post-op. The best I could do was the 20/30 line on the eye chart. My auto-refraction measurement was -.50 X 1.00. and before the PRK it was -1.25 X +1.50.
So here is where I need some help…my hyperopia seems to be getting much worse due to the weakening of my corneas from the RK I had done in 1983 and I am sure that the PRK is not helping strengthen my corneas. After doing some research there appears to be a couple of solutions out there. Corneal Crosslinking and Intacs to potential help stabilize my corneas. Does anyone have any experience or can provide some words of advice/encouragement? I am 49 years old and in good health.

Steve in Scottsdale, AZ.
Steve in Scottsdale

Re: PRK after RK

Postby Indept » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:22 pm

Steve,

How is the right eye progressing? We are very similar in that I had RK done about the same time as you. My right eye is good after 3 PRK procedures and I am going to have my left eye done in January. My right eye "over-reacted" to the PRK so I went from myopic to hyperopic, -1 to +1 but finally got it right. Did your doctor "cut back" on the correction due to the cornial weakness brought on by the RK? I have the same variation throughout the day as you do. From what I've read, most RK patients tend to get more hyperopic as the years go by, we were the odd balls in that we went myopic.
Indept

Return to Just Had It