Question about ghosting/haloing

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Question about ghosting/haloing

Postby ManiG » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi all,

First, let me start with my history to give some context.

I had custom wavefront LASIK 2.5 months ago with the Zyoptix laser. I had a strong prescription (-5 both eyes, astigmatism). I also have larger than normal pupils.

There was a complication during the surgery, there was a tear in the epithelium (sp?) in my right eye. A bandage contact lens was applied to reduce discomfort and I'm guessing to hold everything in place. A few days later the bandage was removed with reassurance that it had healed well. Because of this, however, my right eye has always been a month or so behind in terms of healing and vision improvement.

In the weeks following surgery, my vision did not improve much. Through many visits, doctors insisted that my vision problems were being caused by dryness, and that my eyes were healing very well.

They were right. My eyes would get most dry overnight. Sometimes, I would wake up in the morning, and the act of opening my eyes would cause severe pain followed by excessive tearing.

Using tear-gel at nights and a humidifier helped the problem significantly.

Finally, after reading online about night dry eyes, I determined that I sleep with my eyes very slightly open. I started wearing swimming goggles at night 4-5 days ago. After just 2 nights of sleeping with swimming goggles, my situation improved significantly.

My last visit 3 days ago (1st day after trying the goggles), I was confirmed as 20/20 in my left eye, and almost 20/20 in the right (only missed one letter). Apparently, the dryness had completely resolved in my left eye, and was almost resolved in my right eye. Very good news indeed! On top of this, dryness during the day has reduced significantly, and I rarely need to apply drops during the day (maybe once or twice, and only right eye).

HOWEVER ... all is not well. I am experiencing a lot of ghosting in my right eye, that only started a week ago, after one of those nights of waking up to severe pain caused by dryness in my right eye. The ghosting is sort of a diagonal "smear" of any semi-bright light when I'm in a dark room or outside at night (streetlights are a great example, though it also happens in all kinds of other situations). The problem goes away completely when I am in a brightly lit environment.

I brought it up with my doctor, and she brought up the 3-6 month healing period and that it will improve over time. I am concerned that:

- I did not emphasize the severity and "size" of the ghosting. My left eye experiences some haloing and (rare occasions) a very small amount of ghosting when driving at night -- all within my expectations when researching LASIK post-op effects. The ghosting occurring in my right eye is very strong and "long" to the point that I cannot enjoy watching a movie in the theater, or feeling pretty strongly impaired driving at night.

- I did not emphasize that the ghosting is new, and began after one of those dry-eye experiences from before I started wearing goggles.

What makes me a little nervous is that she did examine both eyes closely and said that the healing is very close to complete. If this ghosting is permanent, for lack of a better word, I am screwed. :(

Any advice, of any sort, is greatly appreciated. I am calling to make an appointment ASAP to discuss the points above, that I did not emphasize during my last visit. Is there anything else I should bring up with my doctor?

Thanks very much!
ManiG

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:19 am

The sudden onset and your description of the ghosting indicates that this is caused by the dry eye issues. The dry eye can cause many irregularities. The obvious is that the tear film is depleted and can thereby be depleted. This makes the outermost surface of your cornea (tear film) irregular and can cause poor vision quality. The dry spots on the cornea can cause corneal edema (inflammation). Inflammation can change the refractive error, induce astigmatism, exacerbate already existing astigmatsim, and cause the symptoms you describe. In addition to this, the epithelium will be healing and smoothing, which may or may not be an even process.

Your agressive dry eye treatment is probably your best resolution to these problems. Lasik is often more of a six month process than a "20-Minute Miracle".
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ManiG » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:04 am

thanks very much, this is as I expected and provides me with some much needed reassurance. I scheduled an appointment a week from now and will report back here on my results as time progresses.
ManiG

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:02 am

Do visit our article on dry eye treatment, linked above.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It