Just Had it, couple of questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just Had it, couple of questions

Postby Ricatti » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi everyone:

I live in Santiago, Chile and my English is not 20/20 so my apologies.

I had my Lasik surgery on December 29th and December 30th with a Visx Star S4 machine
During the day I see everything crystal, but my night vision is really bad, starbursts and halos and I just can’t drive at night.
I also have my eyes dry, like everyone I guess, but with the artificial tears is not a big deal.
The near vision is a little bit blurry; it’s hard to focus between the far and near sight.

Am I condemned to see starburst and halos for the rest of my life? Or will it improve through time?

How many of you guys had starbursts and halos in the beginning and disappeared after a couple of months?

I’m seeing my doctor in a couple of days and I’ll ask him.
Ricatti

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:57 pm

The night vision problems you describe are not exactly common, but are a known side-effect during the early healing stages after Lasik. The dry eyes can cause or exacerbate the problem. You probably should read our articles about Lasik night vision problems, Lasik dry eye, and dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ricatti » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm using "Tears Natural Free" to lubricate my eyes, my doctor said that I have to put one drop per eye every 3 hours, and I’m also using TobraDex (Tobramycin-Dexamethasone) one drop every 6 hours, this one I’ve no idea what is for, and I have to sleep using some acrylic protection.

The day after the surgery, I was seeing 20/25 with my left eye and 20/20 with my right eye, but since yesterday I noticed that I see better with my left eye now; the doctor warned me about this anyway (about the fluctuations).

It’s been only 4 days since the surgery, I guess I’ll have to wait to see if the halos and starburst go away, that are driving me crazy.
Ricatti

Postby Ricatti » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:21 am

Hello again.

First of all, here are my “numbers” before the surgery:

Male, 26 years old.
OD: -3.50 f=-2.25x5º (20/300)
I bealive I was mid-myopic with high astigmatism (am I right?)

Couple of days ago I went for my one week check. My left eye is 20/20 and my right eye is 20/30, although this line was blurry but readable.

The instrument (I don’t know the name) showed 0.5 of astigmatism in both eyes, right eye -0.75 myopia and the left eye I can’t remember. My doctor said these numbers were mistrusted, due to the early stage on the healing process, is that true?
The difference vision between left and right eyes is a little uncomfortable; if a couple of thin glasses can resolve this I’ve no problem. (No way I’m doing enhancement).

But the big issue for me it’s the night vision, the doctor said that I should wait at least a couple of month to see the real results, if everything’s the same he suggested Alphagan P to shrink the pupils.

Tonight there’s a full moon, when I looked at it I saw two moons!!!! Kind of ghost effect, the half of the “second” moon was under the real one. The effect only happens when I look at lights that are opaque, weird.

Once again sorry for my English, hope you got the idea.

Regards.
Ricatti

Postby BAM17 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:42 pm

You may need glasses for night time. I was left with -.25 x -1.25 in the left eye. During the day, I'm fine. If driving at night, I wear a pair of thin glasses. Dry eye can really exacerbate your starbursts and halos. As this resolves, you will likely see an improvement. I'm like you...I would rather have to wear a pair of thin glasses here and there, rather than take more risk of having an enhancement.
BAM17

Postby Ricatti » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi:

Yesterday I Had my 1 month check. My left eye is sharp as a knife, but my right eye is “more blur” than before. The strange thing is that I could read de 20/20 line, but the snellen chart was at 10 ft. When I read letters that are at 70 ft or more, the difference between both eyes is huge.

There is also another phenomenon; as soon as I open my eyes in the morning my right eye (the bad one) has an excellent vision, even better than my left, but this thing last for less than 30 minutes.

My doctor said that my right eye is drier than the left eye, perhaps this has something to do.

Anyway, down here the average is about 95 Fº and the air conditioning is on all day long.

I’ll keep using my “Tears Naturale Free” (US$17, 32-single vials, really expensive here).

My halos and starburst are still there, I’m getting use to them, at least I can drive at night.
Ricatti

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:58 pm

The dry eye can cause the symptoms you describe. Keep up to date with the artificial tears and read our article about dry eye treatment.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ricatti » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi falks,

Yesterday I tryed Alphagan P ( 35 US$ :cry: ) and really helps a lot with the starbursts and haloes, not totally gone but almost match my day vision.

My left eye is better than ever, my right, blured as always. When I yawn or put artificial tears in my right eye I see really really well only for 10 seconds or so, after that back to normal. Perhaps i have microstriaes.
As I told you before as soon as i wake up, my right vision is perfect, i don't know why!.

It's been 2 month already.
Ricatti

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Ricatti wrote:When I yawn or put artificial tears in my right eye I see really really well only for 10 seconds or so, after that back to normal.

This sounds like simple corneal irregularity, such as astigmatism. When you first apply eye drops, the create a regular surface by filling in the low areas with liquid. When you yawn, you may be stretching the cornea slightly. I'd bet that if you applied very light pressure at just the right spot near the cornea you would be able to replicate that excellent vision.

Look for astigmatism correction in your current eyeglass prescription.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bethbeth » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:13 am

Hello. I had lasik about 8 months ago and still experience starbursting. I was told it can take a long time to heal (but how long is long?). My experience was that it was really bad after surgery, couldnt go out at night really for a few weeks. At about 3 months my eyes grew less sensitive and I can tolerate the starbursts much better (tho wouldnt be able to drive at night). Your eyes will become less sensitive as they heal. Any residual shortsightedness (and it sounds like you have been left a bit short sighted) will also make the starbursts seem worse.
It's still early days tho so try not to panic. Patience is the key.
bethbeth

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Is the starbursting better when you apply artificial tears?

Do you have any residual refractive error - even a very small amount?
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ricatti » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:53 am

In my case:

1. Yes, when I apply artificial tears the starbursting is better.

2. Yes, both eyes with refractive error. Left eye almost go unnoticed. Starburts are worse in my left eye than the right eye (the "blured" one).
Ricatti

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:37 pm

It is possible that at least some of the starbursting is from residual refractive error. It seems likely that soft contact lenses would resolve the residual refractie error and may resolve the starbursting. At least you would know what you could possibly expect if you had enhancement surgery.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It