Pred Forte vs. Lotemax

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Pred Forte vs. Lotemax

Postby flcaoh » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:36 am

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a delayed allergic reaction to Pred Forte and if this is normal?

I had Advanced Surface Treatment (similar to PRK and Epi-Lasik) on Dec 12th. My vision was very close to and maybe even 20/20 from Dec 22nd until the 28th. I had been using Pred Forte the whole time and on the 28th I noticed both a severe increase in the stinging and burning in my eyes from the Pred Forte along with a decrease in vision. So much so that it started to become difficult to drive and read road signs. I asked my doctor about this at my follow up on Dec 29th and he said it was a normal side effect. BTW, I have a long history of being very sensitive to different drops and certain preservatives (although I have yet to figure out which ones).

Throughout the past week, the stinging and burning became so severe to the point where my eyes would water profusely and turn bright red. I finally called my doc yesterday and asked him what I should do, I started to really dread putting in my drops (I am currently at 3x a day) He switched me to Lotemax and although I have a slight gritty feeling after putting in the Lotemax there is no burning, and I noticed an increase in my vision almost immediately.

The main thing I wonder about is... why didn't my eyes react immediately? And is it normal to have a delayed reaction like this? I know that vision fluctuations are normal for my type of surgery, but could the Pred Forte have made that big of a difference?

Sorry this is so long and thanks for any insight you can give me :)
flcaoh

Postby keith5851 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:09 am

Hi,

I am not sure about your unusual reaction to Pred Forte, but I can tell you I have experienced a little burning sensation when using it. Nothing terrible, just for about a second when I first put the drops in and then it goes away.Also, since I've been off of it for about a week my vision has drastically improved.

For about the first 3 and a half weeks after my Lasik I was on Pred Forte 4x a day. I can tell you that during that time my vision was fluctuating and it seems now that there was a connection, but then again I'm no expert. My vision went from good to bad to good. Now I am currently using Lotemax 2x a day. I'm not sure why the doc switched, but I'm glad to be done with those drops. Im also glad Lotemax is clear and not milky.

Take a look at my question on this forum related to blurry vision. It might help:
http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... php?t=2011
keith5851

Postby flcaoh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:00 pm

Just an update. Starting January 9th (I had my surgery on the Dec 12th) I started using the new Refresh Celluvisc preservative free gel drop at night (I like Refresh PM but I don't like the super greasy film it leaves around my eyes). I woke up with my eye lashes stuck together but a warm damp washcloth easily fixed that. And my normally chronically dry achy gritty eyes were clear - dare I even say 20/20 - and felt wonderful all day. I have been using it since then, and my eyes feel incredible. I even forgot to put my regular drops in because I wasn't thinking about my eyes. And I live in Ohio... where it is 9 degrees today and my furnace won't turn off LOL. So, needless to say, my humidifier is also running full speed.

Night vision is still a bit iffy because of my residual ghosting... but even that is slowly going away. I have heard many people that have had PRK-like surface treatments say that the one month mark is generally when things finally clear up and I must say, I totally agree. I was worried and anxious and paranoid until my one month mark. I really love my eye doctor... he gladly answered all my questions (no matter how goofy they sounded) with a smile. He constantly reassured me that everything would work itself out. I have finally gotten to the point where I don't think about my eyes constantly. I feel like I can see in HD... with a prior prescription of -7 and -7.5, it's pretty darn cool :), although I still reach up to re-adjust my glasses several times throughout the day. LOL

I didn't want to be one of those people that stop writing in the forum because everything gets better...so to those of you worried because you JUST had it and things are blurry or ghosty or whatever... give it time. There is a super good chance that things will likely clear up. Be patient :)
flcaoh

Postby It's Just Me » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:31 am

Not sure I would have taken this for longer than a few days, but I guess your doctor was watching you, hopefully?

==============
Special warnings about Pred Forte

You must stay in close touch with your doctor while using Pred Forte, for the following reasons:
If you use Pred Forte eyedrops extensively and/or for an extended period of time, you may be at increased risk for cataracts or vision problems. Prolonged use also increases the risk of another infection.
If you have had cataract surgery, Pred Forte can delay healing.
Some eye diseases, together with long-term use of steroids, can cause thinning of the cornea; you may be at increased risk for perforation of the eyeball.
If you have a persistent ulceration of the cornea of your eye while using Pred Forte eyedrops, the problem may be a secondary fungus infection which Pred Forte cannot cure. An eye doctor should evaluate this possibility.
If you use Pred Forte eyedrops for 10 days or longer, an eye doctor should check your intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eyeball) frequently, since prolonged use of steroids may increase this pressure. If you already have glaucoma, use Pred Forte cautiously. If increased pressure is allowed to continue, it may cause loss of vision. :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's Just Me

Postby Indept » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 am

WOW, why so long on the Pred Forte. I had my first eye done (PRK) last thursday and I've been on it since then but today I got the bandage contact out & the doctor said continue it until thursday morning then stop the Pred Forte & the antibiotic drops (zymar) and switch to the lotemax 3x / day.
Indept

Postby Indept » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:17 am

Here's an interesting report on optical steroids:
http://www.revoptom.com/drugguide.asp?s ... rticleid=6
Indept

Postby Indept » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:41 am

Can anyone here, preferably a professional, tell us why there is such a difference in duration of use for these products among our forum members?
I've seen some state that they are on these for months and in my case after my PRK I was on Pred Forte & Zymar for 1 week then taken off of those and started on Lotemax only, 3x/day for 1 week, 2x/day for 1 week, then finally 1x/day for 1 more week then I stop altogether. What is the criteria for determining the dose and length of use? My instructions don't seem to be designed just for me, I was handed standard form instruction sheet directing this, so for the office that did my surgery, this seems to be standard procedure. Given the possible side effects for these drugs one would think that it should be standard throughout the industry and not vary from doctor to doctor. Just curious.
Indept

Return to Just Had It