EXTREME light sensitivity : (

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

EXTREME light sensitivity : (

Postby BlueEyes » Thu May 14, 2009 3:55 pm

I had Lasik done about 7 weeks ago. My vision is great now and I am very happy with how clearly I can see (my left eye was at 5.50 and my right was at -7.00). I had some dryness in the first couple of weeks after and some sensitivity to light, but in the past 3 weeks or so both have gotten much worse.
At my one week follow up visit my doctor saw some dryness in my right eye, and my next follow up with him isn't for another 2 weeks. I use drops pretty much all day long and more at night.
The BIG problem is that even with sunglasses I can barely be outside even if it's cloudy. When the sun is out, I can hardly keep my eyes open and the right is worse than the left. It's very difficult to drive anywhere! Also I work in an office and the flourescent lights really bug me too.

My question is, is this a normal symptom of dry eye? And besides using the drops is there anything else I can do?? I read someplace that when the corneal nerves start to regenerate, the eyes will burn/sting (mine do). So I am hoping this means the nerves are healing and this will all soon go away.
BlueEyes

Postby Indept » Fri May 15, 2009 4:10 am

I had PRK and the severe light sensitivity was pretty much gone the first week. I had some days where I would be real sensitive after that in the morning but it would only last for a few hours. Have you been examined recently, this doesn't sound normal?
Indept

Postby BlueEyes » Fri May 15, 2009 1:02 pm

I haven't been examined recently but I've called the doctor's office and they just recommended I use drops which I already am. My next appt is at the end of this month. It's just so depressing, having to squint any time I'm outside and barely being able to keep my eyes open.
BlueEyes

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 15, 2009 8:55 pm

After seven weeks you would likely be off the steroid eye drops, which commonly cause light sensitivity. This is very likely related to the dry eyes. We have an article with ideas on how to treat dry eyes that may be helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby BlueEyes » Mon May 18, 2009 2:31 pm

I have read everything I can find about dry eyes including the article you reference. I've read just about everything on the Dry Eye Zone website too, but so far I haven't seen anything about dry eyes causing the amount of light sensitivity I have. :(
BlueEyes

Return to Just Had It