Second Opinion

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Second Opinion

Postby tlwilson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:11 am

I had a visit with my doctor on Thursday and he declared my progress at 2 weeks "wonderful". I don't consider debilitating dry eye and 20/60 in the right eye and 20/30 in the left "wonderful". He barely gave me 5 minutes of his time and then jetted out the door. I am having a hard time functioning with my vision this bad since the 20/60 is in my dominant eye.

I went to another doctor today for a second opinion. He said that my right eye is most likely undercorrected and may not get much better but that an enhancement would probably work out well. He took a lot of time to talk to me and they did quite a few tests. I'm sure the bill will be expensive, but I'm thankful to them for seeing me and easing my anxiety. Undercorrection I can deal with, irreversable damage was my fear. The dry eye was not causing all the blurriness, so now that I know that, I'm not so upset by it. It is amazing what a little information will do for you.
tlwilson

Re: Second Opinion

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:59 am

tlwilson wrote:...but I'm thankful to them for seeing me and easing my anxiety. Undercorrection I can deal with, irreversable damage was my fear. The dry eye was not causing all the blurriness, so now that I know that, I'm not so upset by it. It is amazing what a little information will do for you.

So many lasik clinics do a disservice to their patients and to themselves by dismissing patient concerns as "normal" and "don't worry". The same information could have come from your primary doctor and you would have been a happy (work in progress) patient. Now, you don't know if you can rely on your primary surgeon. That is an unfortunate, and unnecessary, situation. This is one of the reasons our organization moved from a patient chart based evaluation of the doctors we certify to a process of patient opinion related through survey. The experience is just as important, even if the outcome is fine.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It