help lasek 7 days ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

help lasek 7 days ago

Postby jturner29 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:02 pm

i had lasek last thursday, i keep waiting to wake up every day and be able to see, i was -5.75 and -5.50, my quality of vision is not good, i cannot see peoples faces clearly after 3ft , i returnerd to work today only to have to go home because i am a charge nurse and hell i couldnt see anything. my husband had to take me to work this am because i could not see anything but starburst on every light and barely see the white line, according to my md i have 20/25 vision with both eyes on the chart, and he said i should be able to drive, well i dont see how i can drive if i cant read any signs clearly afeter three feet.....i am to the point of tears at the quality of my vision, god please tell me that this will get better and they have not royally screwed my eyes up.....
jturner29

Postby PatN » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:18 pm

You had Lasek not Lasik. It will take a long time for the eyes to heal completely and from what I read from this website, your experience is consistent with Lasek.
PatN

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:16 am

Refractive surgery is often more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle. LASEK is seldom a 20-Minute anything.

The process of LASEK is to disrupt the epithelium (outermost layer of corneal cells) with an alcohol solution, move the disrupted cells out of the way, apply the laser treatment, and then slide the cells back over the treated area to act like a bandage, reduce discomfort, and to speed vision recovery.

In the process of LASEK the epithelial cells are mortally wounded. The corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, but it will take time for the old cells to die completely and be replaced. During this time your vision is going to be poor, especially at night. For about 1-3 weeks after surgery you will have "functional fuzzy" vision that will steadily improve. By about a month after surgery your vision should be good, but it may be 6-8 weeks before you get the crisp clarity that you seek.

What you can do to promote healing is keep your eyes lubricated with preservative-free artificial tears and follow your doctor's instructions.

If your vision is better in a brightly lit environment, you may want to talk with your doctor about a "trick" to get through this healing period. The prescription eye drop Alphagan P is a glaucoma medicine that has the side effect of causing pupils to constrict. Vision tends to be better with small pupils. It may be that one drop a day of Alphagan P will give you enough of an edge that you can be productive while you heal. Seek your doctor's opinon on this technique.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

yes i have fuzzy functional vision

Postby jturner29 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 am

thanks for the input , i do have functional fuzzy vision, to the point that it made me sick my first day of work, headache, severe irritation, with noises and normally i am calm at work and happy, i had to leave, because i physically felt like i was going crazy, fortuanatley the vision is getting a small amount better everyday , it is still fuzzy really bad, but i am sticking it out at work and i think that all the flourescent lights were what was driving me insane, so i have been wearing sunglasses with a light tint when i start getting the tension like headache ... and it works , even though it makes my vision a little worse, , my md said everything is healing fine and just give it time...... seriousley i am not permanatley ruined am i ?????
jturner29

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:33 am

You are undoubtedly not anywhere near ruined. This sounds like the normal recovery from LASEK.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

okay

Postby jturner29 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:25 am

i was -6.75 and -6.00 and now i am -.50 and -.75 , does this sound great or not so great ..... i can read the 20/25 line with both eyes ........and that was three days ago..even though i has blurry faces syndrome ...... and fuzzy long distance vision, the doctors should really prepare people for this ... because at least with my glasses i could see at night and had crystal clear vision.
jturner29

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:51 am

Being a little undercorrected and still myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) is better than being a little overcorrected and hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). Myopic enhancement surgery is more predictable than hyperopic surgery.

Even this relatively small amount of residual error would cause your distance vision to be a bit fuzzy. The mid range vision should be reasonably good, but the vision quality will depend on how well and how far along the epithelium is healed.

You may want to purchase a pair of glasses that fully correct your residual refractive error to use at night and when crisp distance vision is required. Between the three and six month postop period, you may want to discuss with your doctor if enhancement surgery is appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jturner29 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:30 pm

do you think that this will get better with time...
jturner29

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:45 pm

Absolutely! You are less than three weeks postop from LASEK. It is very reasonable to expect continued improvement during the normal six month healing period.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jturner29 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:44 am

glenn, thanks for replying to all my posts, i am now 16 days post op lasek i still can see good close up, but i have the fuzzy distance vision, like people that are 10-12 feet away there faces are blurry, each day i think this improves slightly but it is hard to tell, sometimes i can see better than at other times, i get up to go to work @ 3am, it seems that my vision is worse in the mornig, and i have to get my husband to drive me, cause i cant see at night right now... darkness seems to make my vision worse, anyway about 2-3 pm i feel like my eyes are better alittle... mdsaid i am healing fine, close up my left eye is clearer than the right and distance my right eye is better , i am frustrated , it is miserable not to beable to see clearly past 3 feet, it even seems to strain my eyes by the end of the day, i visually do alot all day , please just help me understand the healing process and if everything is healing fine, why are things still so blurry, my md said that these cells heal irreguaraly and when they heal light refracts off of them and that is what causes the disturbance....1 last thing when i had my check ups at the md office they were checking my vision on the chart, and they gave me a thing to look through that takes out all of the light and man could i read clear, they said that that is what my vision will be like when my eyes heal.
jturner29

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:16 am

What you describe sounds like the normal process of healing after LASEK, and this appears to be what your doctor is saying as well. The bottom line is that at this point you need to be patient. At 3-6 months postop you will know the outcome of this procedure, but not now.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jturner29 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:15 am

i have been trying to wait and be patient, tomorrow will be 4 weeks post op and while my vision is a little better, faces are still blurry at 6-8 feet, but people are reconizable, close up vision is quite clear when i am talking to people close up at least they are clear, my supervisor at work , let me try on her glasses i know this was probably not a wise choice, but i could see for a mile with her glasses on, she gave them to me because she got a new pair, and no i do not wear them, cause i am worried that they will somehow mess up my eyes and they give me a headache but anyway, my husband has drove me to work for four weeks now at 4am every mornig i work, and tonight i put those glasses on and i can see even in the dark which usually my vision is really poor at night, her glasses made me feel so normal , earlier today when i tried her glasses on and i could see ( we are nurses) she said to me jenn they might have to do an upgrade on your eyes if you can see with my glasses , i told her that i was still healing and that i thought eventually i waould be able so see alot better, and she said that normally corneas do not take that long to heal and i said well they scraped it pretty deep , i mean i dont think we are talking about a surface scratch here.. so then i got worried agian thinking that is has been a month and while yes each week when i go back to work i do notice improvment in my vision little by little, which to me sounds like i am still healing, but how is it that i can see so good through her glasses if when they are healing the light refracts then why would it not be the same with her glasses on . I go to the doctor tomorrow,and i will tell you i dont want an enhancement if they say i have to have one, i would rather wear glasses then to not be able to see for god knows how many more months. wearing her glasses for that minute made me feel normal and i was so deppressed about not being able to see, well i at least know that my eys could be corrected with glasses agian if i had to have them and my eyes never heal the rest of the way, i would never ever reccommend this surgery to anyone at this point...i hope that i can say months down the line that it was the best thing i ever did but now i cannot say that .........
jturner29

Postby jturner29 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:17 am

p.s. she said that her glasses are -3.00 and -3 something, before my surgery i was -5.75 and-5.25 ,
jturner29

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:38 pm

I'm sure your doctor will provide a manifest refraction if you request. THis will give you your current prescription. You will know how you are progressing and may want to get a pair of glasses with that correction. Expect that you will need to change the lenses soon because as you continue to heal your refractive error will continue to change.

Your doctor probably would not recommend enhancement surgery until you are at least three months postop, and longer is fine too. You must wait until all the effects of healing from the first surgery have disappated to know if you need enhancment.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jturner29 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:42 pm

okay i went to the doctor , 2 weeks ago i was -.50 and -.75, now today i am -1.25 and -1.50 i am left undercoreccted , he told me that i more than likley will have to have an enhancement surgery maybee not but more likley that i will, and scheduled all the tests for 2 and a half months , in november sometime. i am so disapointed that i will have to go through this agian, he said my eyes are healed ... he di say though that when i had this procedure agian it would not be as bad this time because i am closer to normal vision then iwas before, do you agree with this that i will be better the second time around. one last question what is the doctor doing when he ask me if the red letters are clearer or if the green letters are clearer. at one point during the exam the green letters were clearer and he ask really like waht i said was quite interesting....or stunned him......thanks for all your help so far you are quite an impressive expert on this condition, by the way i am getting glasses today and thank god i can see clearly ....with them on of course...
jturner29

Next

Return to Just Had It