it's sposed to make u happy

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

it's sposed to make u happy

Postby Ripley » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:39 am

Hello I don't know what i want to get out of posting this but i feel i need ...well i don't know. I just feel depressed. i had to wait 9 months for my vision to stabalise so i could have retreatment in my left eye and i had lasek this time round and the procedure seemed a lot easier. it's been 9 days since i had it and my vision in my left eye is worse and weaker. i know any response will say wait and see but surely the vision won't strengthen - it is what it is surely. i have had skewed vision for 9 months from lasik and i have been waiting in the hope that retreatment will right the wrongs but it is not going to is it ? i'm just gonna have to face facts and get on with my life with mashed vision and floaters and dry eye and all the other side effects which i seem to collect with worrying ease. and i aint even started paying for this yet - almost 4000 pounds ! yeh i'm so happy to pay that - i cant wait to hand over my hard earned cash for my mashed vision what a great swap
Ripley

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:10 am

You said you had LASEK, not Lasik. If you did, your vision recovery will be completely different. You will have functional vision without crisp clarity for a while. Your vision will likely get worse before getting better. Read our article about LASEK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ripley » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 pm

ok thanks i hope it will get better, i had lasik wavefront first time round and now lasek wavefront this time round and i have ghosted vision but it seems weak. i know lasek takes longer to heal but could my actual vision get stronger ? it feels weak and there is ghosting and outlines around everything. my surgeon said there was a small chance i could lose a line of vision and thats what it feels like - when i move a page of writing closer to my face it does not become clearer it just remains fuzzied
Ripley

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Ripley wrote:i know lasek takes longer to heal but could my actual vision get stronger ?

Absolutely. The epitheilium needs to die, slough off, be replaced by new cells, thicken, and smooth. During this time your vision will be less than excellent.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ripley » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:25 pm

yeh but its been the same blurryness for ages now everyday there is no change just fuzzied vision its been almost 13 days now since retreatment and for at least the last week it has been fuzzied no better no worse just the same everyday. there is no progress and i'm worried that once again i'm stuck with it.
Ripley

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 am

You are a long way from being fully recovered from your LASEK. You will need 6-12 weeks of healing before you get the crisp vision you seek.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Still have to pay for it?

Postby Anyman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:22 am

I am thinking...... wait till your vision stabilizes & then see what they get. Would you pay a mechanic who wrecked your car? The sheer gall of these people still stuns me.......
Anyman

Postby Ripley » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:19 pm

hello. its been 16 days since the op i just went for my check up and they said my eye hasn't responded well. i now have -1.75 in left eye and -0.50 in right. my right eye is ok even know it has got a slight astigmatism and floaters but i spose i can live with that, i'm certainly not gonna let them ever touch that eye again. its the left eye which is causing me so much trouble. it feels so blunt and the imbalance in my eyes is making me feel so sick i really just wanna puke. I can't deal with this at all it just feels so horrible, so many floaters in me left eye aswell. i'm so lethargic lately i've lost all desire to do anything i know that sounds dramatic but this has changed me so much i can't stand it anymore the only thing that has got me through the last 9 months waiting for my vision to stabalise was the thought that retreatment was gonna make things better and know they have made my prescription even worse. i know its early but they have told me that i have not responded well to this treatment. so what now? wait months and months for my vision to stabalise so they can retreat me again and make things even worse.? one thing i forgot to mention and i would really like a second opinion on this is on the night of my op i woke up in the night with my eye guard half off my face and i was rubbing my eye - it must've been an unconsicious action when i went back the next day they said no damage had been done. could this of affected the results?
Ripley

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:45 pm

Rubbing your eye immediately after Lasik is more of a risk to the integrity of the Lasik flap than to the final outcome. It is not likely that this caused the undercorrection.

Without corrective lenses the imbalance between the eyes would very likely cause the distorting illness you describe. The images at the retina are different sizes and out of focus. You need to wear corrective lenses.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Follow up to your post: Does this also apply to starbursts?

Postby Anyman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:59 pm

LasikExpert wrote:
Ripley wrote:i know lasek takes longer to heal but could my actual vision get stronger ?

Absolutely. The epitheilium needs to die, slough off, be replaced by new cells, thicken, and smooth. During this time your vision will be less than excellent.

Is this healing process, or a version thereof, why some people's starbursts eventually recede? If so, how any why does this work & why do some suffer from night vision errors forever? I am 2 wks post op (all laser, 7mm pupil, custom/wavefront w/ Allegretto and about 20/400) and STILL have the infuriating damned starbursts. They tell me I should see then recede in 3-6 months, but I remain skeptical, hence my questions. I'll give them that long. Then the gloves are off.....
Anyman

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Starbursts tend to be caused by a rough corneal surface. Most certainly the corneal surface can be rough during this healing period and smooth with full healing, reducing or eliminating the starburst effect.

When they occur, halos tend to relate to an optical ablation zone smaller than the size of the naturally dilated pupils, and tend to only present when the pupils are large.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Ripley » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:17 pm

hello i had some glasses made up for me to correct the -1.75 undercorrection in my left eye and they do not work they do not make things any clearer. everything is still just as blurred but in the clinic when they tested my eyesight i thought they found my prescription - it was a little hazy but they were confident the glasses would work but they do not.
what i would like to know is what if glasses or lenses will not improve my vision from what it is now am i just stuck with it ? i'm having to wear a proper patch over my left eye at the moment to keep the headaches at bay but this is not helping my depth perception and i keep bashing into things. what am i to do ? i know any advice will probably say wait but its now been three weeks and if anything my sight is getting worse
Ripley

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:31 pm

It is just too early, Ripley. Your eyes have not settled down and the healing process is taking its time. Poor vision with glasses indicates that the cornea has not healed from the trauma of surgery. Patience is not easy when you can't see well, but that is what you need. Keep reporting your problems to your doctor, but your eyes need time to heal.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: it's sposed to make u happy

Postby Ripley » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:51 am

hi, its been 6 weeks now since re-treatment and i'm at the end of my tether, my prescription in my left eye has got significantly worse since my last test 3 weeks ago. it is now -2.50 and glasses or lenses do not make any difference. when they got the -2.50 prescription it was still double vision, they cannot find my clear prescription and have said the worst case scenerio is that i'm am indeed stuck with it. what do i do ? if glasses or lenses or further surgery will not work how do i live the rest of my life with this imbalanced skewed vision giving me headaches and making me nauseous all the time. the constant double vision and ghosting and floaters and starbursts - this is no way to live, i can't concentrate on anything. and what about the financial side ? they still expect to me to pay for this !! surely i should receive damages.
Ripley

Re: it's sposed to make u happy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 pm

Ripley wrote:...said the worst case scenerio is that i'm am indeed stuck with it. what do i do ?

You are not "stuck with it". A relative advantage of Lasik is that all the manipulation is on the cornea, which is the clear front of the eye. In the absolute worst case scenario you would require a corneal transplant, removing the manipulated cornea completely and replacing it with a donor cornea. A corneal transplant is nothing to desire, but tens of thousands are successfully perfomed every year. Your worst case scenario is not a lifetime of poor vision from Lasik. A corneal transplant would not resolve floaters, but it would eliminate double vision, ghosting, and starbursts caused by Lasik.

The probability that you would actually need a corneal transplant based upon the information you have provided seems very, very low. You will need to allow your surgeries to fully heal before considering a transplant.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Next

Return to Just Had It