Worried and disappointed

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Worried and disappointed

Postby Tom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:42 pm

I had Lasik 5 weeks ago.

Almost immediately I noticed that my left eye was not as clear as my right eye. The discrepancy is greater when looking at things close up and seems to be worse under fluorescent light or when looking at a computer screen.

I have been back to see the doctor twice and he seems to think that the difference is negligible. While I can see 20/20 with both eyes, my right eye is sharper and letters appear blacker and clearer overall. To me the difference is as clear as day, especially when I'm working with things close up.

I also went to see an optometrist and he initially said there may be a slight astigmatism, but then after doing the manual test and looking into my eyes, he said that my vision was probably slightly blurred due to a corneal haze. He also said that Lasik can cause some loss of contrast sensitivity.

What is corneal haze? Is it usual to experience this problem 5 weeks after the procedure? Does it clear and how long does it typically take to clear?

Is loss of contract sensitivity permanent? Why would I suffer a loss of contrast sensitivity in one eye and not the other?

Can Lasik cause astigmatism? Does this ever stabilise? Can it be retreated? How bad does it have to be before the doctor will retreat?

In light of my ongoing concerns, I'm seriously beginning to regret ever having had Lasik done. Although the stats are apparently in my favour, the risks and potential side effects when dealing with your eyes far outweigh the benefits as I see it and unless things were to improve I can't say that I'd do this again. The past few weeks have been extremely stressful and it continues on a day to day basis every time I look at anything. I'm beginning to wonder that we should just not mess with nature.
Tom

Postby Tom » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:44 pm

I also forgot to mention that I am 26 and my prescription before was 2.25 (couldn't see distant objects - not sure if that's +2.25 or -2.25).
Tom

Postby Ripley » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:15 pm

hello i sympathise with you totally i regret ever having it done and wish i could turn back time i had lasik 9 months ago nothing but misery sorry to be so depressing now i just had lasek retreatment and its worse but its only been 12 days since retreatment so too early to draw real conclusions yet but signs are not good. i wish i could say something encouraging to help you just thought i'd say i know what your going through with contrast issues and my left eye is crap compared to my right proper imbalance does my head right in yeh i got astigmatism from lasik and floaters too i wish i had looked at these sites before i decided to have it done - this is for life
Ripley

Postby crystaline » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:08 am

hello, i am about 2.5 months out now, and I was exactly the same as you.. my left eye was a lot weaker, I knew that straight away within hours!!

I must say though, my left eye has taken a big jump forward about 2 weeks ago. So I would stick with it for a little longer, although I was worried like you early on, but they are still changing, it is just so gradual.

I also have corneal haze in both eyes. I was put on increased steroid drops to slow the growth and am now still on 2 drops a day, down from 5 or 6, but the haze is not getting worse, as far as i can tell. Although I noticed it at the beginning, i have become more accustomed to it, and it is only really an issue in very dim light where things are slightly more cloudy. My surgeon says that the haze i have is mild, so he doesnt want to risk opening the flaps again to irrigate.
According to him, the haze will often go away after a period of 6-12 months, but it isnt a quick thing and in a few cases doesnt.

I know of people who have been on oral steroid meds for more severe hazing and I did ask my surgeon about this.. and to quote "it would be like shooting a fly with a shotgun when the fly will most likely leave anyway" lol

Something else he did mention to me is that haze can often make dry eyes worse and in turn, this lack of moisture does worsen vision. I definitely noticed that my dry eyes were very very bad at first... and when my eyes naturally tear up, it does feel a lot better. and I can see better with more clarity. So, that may also be accentuating your problems if you do have haze.

Hope this helps, good luck, stick with it! Things do improve further out than you may think.. most certainly that is what is happening with mine!
Last edited by crystaline on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
crystaline

Postby crystaline » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 am

I forgot to mention also, that my situation was similar to yours, I was -3.00 and I'm 24.
crystaline

Re: Worried and disappointed

Postby Still Hoping » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:43 am

All I can say is please get help before you experience anxiety and depression on top of it. Those effects can be even worse. See whatever kind of doctor you need to get help dealing with this. I'm still working on finding the right meds and cry nearly every day. Sorry for the downer. I'd pay millions for a time machine...
Still Hoping

Re: Worried and disappointed

Postby Anyman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:07 am

Still hoping--

Have you consulted with legal counsel? Watch the statute of limitations.... It is not uncommon for you to be "You'll get better-ed" until your rights have expired. If the victim of malpractice you may have rights. Well, either that or call Tony Soprano.... j/k!

Seriously, if you were lied to or the victim of malpractice don't give up. Seek the best medical care you can, but also protect your rights to redress and justice.
Anyman

Return to Just Had It