Just had WAVEfront Custom LASIK with Intralase

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had WAVEfront Custom LASIK with Intralase

Postby kalina » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:42 pm

I had my surgery on Wednesday evening by a prominent doctor here in the Philadelphia area and everything went well. My eyes were tested as 20/20 the next day. They're still red, but the bloody red look around my eyes has now turned more pinkish red so I'm still healing. What I've been reading so far with people's experiences is a lot of folks seem to be in a hurried state when it comes to eye recovery. I was thinking about this this morning... we allow damaged arms and legs to heal for a long time. Why can't we just be patient and let our eyes heal in the same way? I'm experiencing slight halos and starbursts at night, but I can see at night with no problems. My eyes are sensitive in the daylight (they always were even when I wore glasses) and looking at my computer screen (this is new, but I'm committed to being patient while my eyes heal).

I'm using my Omnipred and Vigamox 4x a day for 5 days as prescribed. The first day I used Omnipred every hour I was awake. I was told to use Systane for rewetting, but I really didn't experience dry eye so far and every time I used Systane, my vision would go cloudy for about about 3 to 4 minutes before getting clear. This is very disconcerting to me, so today I switched to Refresh Plus and my first dose felt great. I'm seeing my eye surgeon on Thursday for another follow-up visit.

Everyone here seems to know their eyeglass prescription. I just know my contact lens prescription. It was:

right eye -2.75 8.7 14
left eye -4.5 8.7 14

I had cancer in 98 so the top parts of my irises have calcium deposits that discolor/whiten the top part of each iris. This didn't factor into the LASIK eval. Both eyes have slight astigmatism, moreso in the left eye. My corneas are pretty flat so the doctor recommended I go with Intralase versus the microkeratome. My left eye is also a weak eye that never fully developed. I went through a whole series of tests and passed all of them before undergoing surgery. If anyone wants to know the full story, I can post it all here or refer to my web site (either is fine with me), but I don't want to step on anyone's toes because although this doctor is great, he's not on the certified list here.

Many of my friends have had LASIK and they all love it. Even my brother, 4 years younger than me, has had it. I want my post-surgery experience to be positive and I want to be a success story like my friends and all the others. That's why I'm being very careful with how I conduct my life and following all of the post-surgery instructions given to me to a tee. All of the anti-LASIK sites out there have scared the bejesus out of some of my friends and family. I want to be a LASIK advocate just like you, Glenn!
Kalina Isato
kalina

Re: Just had WAVEfront Custom LASIK with Intralase

Postby kalina » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:00 pm

2 weeks after surgery: There is a lot less redness in my eyes. The inner whites of my eyes are almost completely red-free. It looks like my left eye, the eye that had the stronger prescription, is taking longer to heal, probably because it got zapped with the laser more. My brain still thinks my great vision is the result of glasses, so out of habit, I sometimes try to remove glasses that aren't there. I still see rainbow starbursts and halos at night, but I'm not too concerned because I'm retraining myself to work around them.

Here are my eyes on 8/13, the day after surgery:

Here are my eyes today (8/26/09):

Kalina Isato
kalina

Postby kalina » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:16 pm

3 weeks after surgery: The right side of my right eye is the next area that will hopefully be completely red-free. My left eye is still red, but improving. My brother said his eyes took about a month to heal, but his vision was not as bad as mine when he had LASIK done ten years ago. I still see halos, but everything else is pretty damn clear!

Kalina Isato
kalina

Postby kalina » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:28 am

4 weeks after surgery: The right side of my right eye is 99% red-free. The only "red" I see is a faint pink line that should go away soon. My left eye is healing nicely. The top part of the line is pink, the bottom part is reddish pink, so that should go away in another 2 weeks. Quite honestly, I cry every now and again because it is so beautiful to be able to see 20/20 having never been able to experience 20/20 before while wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses. Yes, I still see halos around bright lights in the dusk or dark, but so what? The other 99% of the benefits of LASIK have more than made up for this deficiency. Why can't other people enjoy LASIK's benefits without harping on its negatives? It seems to me that in the early stages of LASIK recovery we experience something similar to seeing with our rearview mirrors permanently set to dayview position. Try it and see what happens. Everything is blinding because everything is crystal clear in a rearview mirror set to dayview position! How do we correct this? We flip the rearview mirror to nightview position. For us, that means wearing tinted eyeglasses to decrease the glare. We are told by our doctors to be patient because, as our eyes heal, we should see less intense to no starbusts and less severe to no halos. Our MTV generation doesn't want to wait 6 months for all of this to happen, so many people complain about the end result when they havent even experienced the true end result yet! All I can say is please be patient with the whole process. Healing takes time. You've had bad vision for 20+ years, so waiting another six months is not so bad. Good things take time.

Kalina Isato
kalina

Postby nemesis63 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm glad to hear that redness on your eyes has gone. I wish that i could say the same thing about clear vision for my right eye. I had 0.50 astigmat left on my right eye and I'm suffering from dry eye nowadays.

You said people should ignore side effects and enjoy clear vision but as you can see in my topic i had so low numbers like 2.00 and 1.75. I was able to see everthing with my glasses. My night vision got worse now. If i didn't learn how to drive so well before operation i couldn't learn how to drive a car with these eyes forever. I mean you may not continue your carrier on driving and flying planes after lasik.
nemesis63

Postby kalina » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:42 am

nemesis63 wrote:I'm glad to hear that redness on your eyes has gone. I wish that i could say the same thing about clear vision for my right eye. I had 0.50 astigmat left on my right eye and I'm suffering from dry eye nowadays.

You said people should ignore side effects and enjoy clear vision but as you can see in my topic i had so low numbers like 2.00 and 1.75. I was able to see everthing with my glasses. My night vision got worse now. If i didn't learn how to drive so well before operation i couldn't learn how to drive a car with these eyes forever. I mean you may not continue your carrier on driving and flying planes after lasik.

Your eyes were not so bad to begin with. Did the doctor insist that you get LASIK or did you insist on proceeding forward with it? If my vision started at 2.00 and 1.75, I would not have done LASIK. One of the biggest major complaints is the halos and starbursts, but I want to wait the recommended 6 months healing period before I pass judgement on whether or not LASIK failed in this area. Yes, at this point in time (about 1 month of healing time), it is tough to drive at night with the halos and starbursts I see, but I can do it and it's easier done with sunglasses. There is definitely an improvement in the quantity and intensity of halos/starbursts I saw in the few days after LASIK surgery and the halos/starbursts I see now.
Kalina Isato
kalina

What will you do, Kalina, if it fails?

Postby Anyman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:35 am

What will you do if you still have the disabling starbursts, etc after 6 months? I don't think I'll be nearly as charitable as you appear to be. I will be exceedingly agitated and seeking redress by whatever means necessary.
Anyman

Postby kalina » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I'm a very patient person. 6 months is not a long time and here is why:

Back in 1998, I was diagnosed with Stage II Colorectal Cancer. I was told I had a 42% chance of living beyond 5 years. For a whole year, I was living in a state of depression as I waited for the end to come. Then I picked myself up and said to myself that if I just have 4 more years to live, they are going to be the best years of my life. And I did just that. I went out and partied all the time. I hosted parties of my own and for others. I walked a runway for a charity event. I was a studio musician and my goal was to become successful at it so I produced song after song and many of them ended up on four MTV shows, including The Osbournes and MADE. I also became a leading author in my field with several books I wrote. In four years, I made my life a whole lot better because I put in a concentrated effort toward making it better. I never gave up on my life and the limitations that seemed to hinder it.

2003 came and went and my yearly checkups showed no signs of recurring cancer.

If, in 6 months, the halos and starbursts are still there, I'll learn to live with it. I've fought cancer, shingles, and pneumonia in my life. Really, how bad is a starburst compared to all of that?
Kalina Isato
kalina

You are a far better & patient person than I am...

Postby Anyman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:15 pm

I am not nearly so patient or willing to compromise. Yours is quite a story. I applaud your efforts, strength & dedication. I am too often a glass half empty kind of person & become angry when I don't get the results others do. Every trip into dim light reminds me of my error. I am 11 weeks post op & still have starbursts. I'll give it 6 months, but readily admit that I will be quite angry if they turn out to be permanent due to the promises made.

Glad to hear you're doing so well after so hard a battle. Me? I'd be angry at getting another dose of bad luck were I in your shoes! Don't know how you handle it as you do......
Anyman

Return to Just Had It