One-month steriod tapering schedule

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

One-month steriod tapering schedule

Postby prk_panic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:00 am

I had PRK done and my doctor has me on a one-month steroid tapering schedule. I think this is standard for all his patients. I see most people have a 2-month tapering schedule. Anyone else out there with just a one-month schedule? I used Acuvail (anti-inflamatory) for 3 days prior to surgery and 3 days after surgery. I used Zymar (antibiotic) for one week after surgery. And I am using FML (steroid) tapered from 4-times-a-day for the first week, 3-times-per-day for the second week, 2-times-per-day for the third week, and 1 time-a-day for the fourth week. That's it for drugs! I'm also using Systane Ultra about once an hour and Refresh PM every night. Any one else care to compare?

BTW, if you are interested in my progress, I will be updating it in the following thread:
Eye MOVED a lot during PRK procedure
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2250
prk_panic

Re: One-month steriod tapering schedule

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:39 am

It is almost always to get a patient off medication as soon as possible. Steroids are used to control the wound response and reduce inflammation. If they are no longer needed after one month, then their use would not be wise. If as you taper down inflammation becomes a problem, your doctor can taper you back up until inflammation is resolved.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby prk_panic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:03 am

Thanks Glenn!

Any comment for me about moving a lot under the laser? My doctor is using a Visx Star laser (the most popular in America) so I assume it is the Visx S4 laser with active 3D eye tracking. Can you point me to any studies showing the effectiveness of 3D eye tracking? What have you noticed in your experience?

Thanks,
Sharon
prk_panic

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:17 am

Nystagmus is the involuntary movement of the eye. You can see a video of nystagmus here. At a medical convention I viewed a laser procedure with a patient demonstrating this level of nystagmus. The laser did need to stop and reset a couple of times during the procedure, but the tracking system tracked the eye.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It