Had Lasek 1/15/10, my experiences

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Lasek 1/15/10, my experiences

Postby girlwithcurl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 am

My original prescription was right eye: -6.25, no astigmatism, left -7.00, -1.00. I'm 32. Have worn glasses since age 9, never wore contacts because fingers in eyes icked me out. So naturally, the thing to do was get surgery instead, ha!

I asked around a bit and settled on a surgeon who is known to have done many, many surgeries and who my optometrist liked (exact quote "Oh, if you're using him, you'll be fine! He'll kill your pocketbook, though!"). Initial consult took about two hours, lots of tests, slit tests, tear quality, dilation drops, other things I'm probably not remembering well at the moment.

The verdict was, no LASIK for me, due to pupil size and the amount of cornea that would be lost based on the strength of my prescription, but that I was a good candidate for LASEK. (Doc said, "I am not comfortable doing LASIK with you, but I am very comfortable doing LASEK"). I was told it could take up to a week to heal, but I might heal faster (Ha! This turns out to be... um, not the case, but I can't complain too much). I say okay, sign a consent re:a drug called mytomycin-c, which is supposed to prevent 'hazing/scarring' that might otherwise happen with my degree of myopia. (Mytomycin-c apparently can also cause corneal melt, but I am assured this has never ever happened in a LASEK procedure with the dosage I am getting. Um. OKAY THEN.

I scheduled the surgery, but for about three months later, due to grad school exams followed up by a beach vacation (no swimming for two weeks post surgery would have killed me there). At the beach I am fortified in my resolve when I am once again faced with the options to flail around blindly in the water or wear my $250-$300 glasses and possibly lose them. Surgery will be awesome, I decide. I come home, send in my money. My aunt even offers to come stay with me, all is good!

The surgery is on a Friday, to give me the weekend to recover. In itself, it is completely painless, the only complication being ME. Remember where I said I couldn't deal with fingers in my eyes? Getting those things to hold my eyes open in was no picnic either. The actual procedure seemed to go okay, though. The only part I actually felt was them pouring cold water in my eyes. I squirmed a lot when they were putting the bandage contact in my right eye and it fell out. The doc was not happy with me there, but didn't seem to think there was a problem, but for what it's worth my right eye has been behind in healing ever since. Left eye went without a hitch (maybe the valium had kicked in by then? Or adrenaline overload, ha).

I felt just fine immediately post-procedure. My aunt took me home on the T and I had the urge to close my eyes periodically, but nothing too scary. I kept looking at things around me, it was so fascinating! A little off, like adjusting to a brand new prescription on glasses, but pretty cool. When we got home my aunt put drops in my eyes. I took two alleve (for menstrual cramps, not eye pain. On the pain scale, cramps > LASEK, BY FAR. For what it's worth) and I fell asleep (probably valium making me woozy).

I was on three drops. Nevanac and Vigamox 4x daily and omni-pred, once every hour the first two days and then on a tapering schedule. They also gave me tylenol 3, but I never took it. The only significant discomfort at this point is that the omni-pred stings for a second when dropped into my right eye.

I went in for the follow up the next morning and the doc said my right eye was 20/40 and my left was more like 20/100. I wasn't able to see anything well close up, (reading??? Ha! And forget about more than 10-15 mins on the computer) but he told me that was due to the high level of correction and my eyes needing to refocus at a further point and I should expect that to clear up in a few days. I go out to lunch with my aunt and all seems well, so she goes home. Day two post surgery also starts out pretty well, I go out with friends and we go shopping in town. Reading is still blurry. Menus at restaurants are no fun! By the end of the day my eyes start to feel weird and ill-used and I crash early.

Day three post surgery is the worst. I'd had vague hope of going into work, but that doesn't happen. The best description of the way I feel is as if I'd been stuck in an airplane full of smokers without sleep for twelve hours. Just really ill-used. I spend the day in bed with my eyes closed listening to books on mp3. When I do open my eyes, my vision really sucks. Weirdly, but left eye seems a lot better than my right, which continues from that point.

Tuesday, a guy from the office gives me a ride into work since I am in now way safe to drive. I can sort of use the computer, via the magic of high contrast and making the text VERY big. Written text, not being subject to magnification, is not so good. This is more or less the state of things for the next several days, but my near vision does seem to gradually improve, as promised. By the time I have a follow up on Thursday, I can read, though somewhat blurry, as though there'd been eye dilation drops involved. I also drove into work, though my doctor has said I really shouldn't have.

The bandage contacts were supposed to come out Thursday, but the doc said my epithelial healing wasn't there yet and to come back Monday to get them removed (he didn't want me to do it myself, due to my squirminess and a general inexperience with contact lenses). UGH, so much for one week and everything will be fine! Still, he seemed upbeat and I was just glad I could read again. He said I could expect significant visual improvement over the weekend, which did seem to be the case.

What I found was that my eyes seemed to take an hour or two in the morning before they 'focused' correctly and did better by mid morning. I did have dryness, but nothing too bad. Mostly when I first woke up. By Friday/Saturday my reading was completely normal, though I was still using zoom in mode on the computer.

Monday morning, as promised, the bandage contacts came out. My eyes felt scratchy for a few hours and then, like magic, my sight began to improve. A LOT. By Tuesday I was using the computer as normal (the same way I had with glasses pre-surgery, down to text size). Driving was fine, except I had trouble with smaller street name signs, which was okay, since I knew where I was going anyway. Heh). I was very sensitive to light, enough that in the afternoon on sunny days, I had to wear my sunglasses indoors, to the amusement of my co-workers.

Over the next week, however, I started to develop a fun new symptom at night and sometimes (much more rarely) during the day! I called it 'visual special effects', but have since discovered it is actually starbursts/halos. I checked out some bad-lasik sites online and what I have is nowhere near as bad as most of the images they show, but still, NOT a net plus.

Dry eyes in the morning continued, but otherwise okay. This seemed to get better as time went on.

I had my second follow up last Thursday (2/4) and I was reading 20/20 with my left eye and 20/30 with my right. Doc says my right eye is perfectly on schedule and my left is ahead, which is great! I'm to expect more healing as I taper down on the omni-pred and can expect 20/20 in the right as well. And also, to use more lubricating drops, whether I feel like I need them or not, because my eyes are too dry. Heh.

Doc said that the main reason the starbursts/halos were happening was the difference between my eyes and they should go away as my right eye improves. I wonder about this, actually. What I notice is that, when I cover my right eye, my left eye has very minimal or no haloing/starbursts. When I cover my left, my right very definitely has them. I wonder if I did something to screw up my right eye with all that initial squirming? Could that be right? My right eye was always my stronger eye (I'm right handed too).

Will this clear up as my eye heals? As I said above, it's not very disruptive, but it is very odd. For what it's worth, it's also not constant-- I'll blink and it goes away, blink a few more times and it's there again. It doesn't seem to be getting any better though, maybe even a tiny bit worse. My night vision is otherwise okay, pretty much the same as it was in glasses pre-LASEK.

That said, I honestly couldn't be happier with LASEK. I can see in the shower! I still need sunglasses during the day, but otherwise no glasses for the first time since I was nine! If it actually gets better than this I will be through the roof thrilled!
girlwithcurl

Re: Had Lasek 1/15/10, my experiences

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Your fluctuation in vision and poor vision quality during the first few weeks after LASEK seems absolutely normal. The vision recovery with LASEK tends to be pretty good vision straight away that slowly deteriorates, gets worse, then suddenly gets better. This is because all those epithelial cells that were moved out of the way and then placed back over the treatment area are mortally wounded in that process. They most die, slough off, and new cells need to replace them, thicken, and smooth. Expect positive changes in the next two-three weeks.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby axe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi,

I plan to get my LASEK done in the next week. My condition is pretty much the same as yours and I hope the results will be too. My original prescription was right eye: -7.00, no astigmatism, left -6.50. I'm 27. I have had glasses since I was 11 and have been wearing contacts for the last 10 years. Tired of them, have decided to go with LASEK. The doctor performed the tests and informed that I was more suited to LASEK due to my thin cornea size.

Since you hadn't posted for while about your progress, I just wanted to know how you were doing? Have you had any other complications or are you able to see fine :)
axe

Postby CliftonFarria » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:06 pm

axe wrote:Hi,

I plan to get my LASEK done in the next week. My condition is pretty much the same as yours and I hope the results will be too. My original prescription was right eye: -7.00, no astigmatism, left -6.50. I'm 27. I wonder if https://pewarriors.com/my-sizegenetics- ... nd-results has the answers about sizegenetics because I've had glasses since I was 11 and have been wearing contacts for the last 10 years. Tired of them, have decided to go with LASEK. The doctor performed the tests and informed that I was more suited to LASEK due to my thin cornea size.

Since you hadn't posted for while about your progress, I just wanted to know how you were doing? Have you had any other complications or are you able to see fine :)

This looks promising. I'll have to look more into Lasek.
CliftonFarria

Return to Just Had It